Softrock v6 40/80m RX

  • gw0nkg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi all, I have just obtained an SDR board which is already built up.
      Its my first experiance of this type of radio, but I think I may have
      a problem and wonder if someone can help.
      I am running the board into a Delta 44 soundcard and using WinRad
      software. On the waterfall display (on 40m) I get a centre frequency
      around the LO and signals both above and below this that are a mirror
      image of each other. - Is this correct ??? as these can be resolved
      and heard OK.
      I have checked the sound card settings, but am not sure if there may
      be
      a problem with the Q signal missing as if I select left channel 'I'
      on the mode setting of the software the waterfall display changes but
      signals can still be seen and resolved, but if i select right channel
      Q the signals disappear altogether !!

      Also the display is the same when using Rocky software, but the
      signals are very rough when resolved.

      Forgive me if this sound all basic stuff, but is this correct and if
      not could anyone give me a few pointers.

      Any help advice would be greatly appreciated
    • adibene
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "gw0nkg" <mike.e.york@...> wrote:

        > I have checked the sound card settings, but am not sure if there may
        > be a problem with the Q signal missing as if I select left channel 'I'
        > on the mode setting of the software the waterfall display changes but
        > signals can still be seen and resolved, but if i select right channel
        > Q the signals disappear altogether !!

        Mike,

        if the signal displayed disappears when you select "Right channel
        only" under the Mode choice of Winrad, that means that the right
        channel does not receive any signal. That most probably is caused
        either by a wrong cable, a defective connector, or a cold soldering on
        the SDR PCB board, where the cable leaves the board.

        A missing left or right channel has as effect exactly what you see,
        i.e. the left half of the spectrum is a mirror of the right half.

        73 Alberto I2PHD
      • DUANE BAADE
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hello Mike,

          When the Softrock and programs are working properly, you will not see the mirror images that you are describing. It sounds like the problem is the missing Q signal. If you only have one of the I or Q signals present to the sound card, then the image problem appears. From your description, you are missing the Q signal and if you can get it to work, then you will see a big difference. The Delta 44 is an excellent sound card, so when you get the Q signal input to it along with the I signal, I think you will be very pleased. From the Softrock audio output, you should have a three wire cable , one is Q, one is I and the other is common. The Delta 44 box uses two inputs which are 1/4 inch tip/sleeve jacks, so you need to make a cable that will plug into inputs 1 and 2 and then connect one of the softrock output lines to input 1 and the other softrock output line to input 2 on the Delta 44. This should get you up and running. If not, then you need to try and find out why you are only getting one output from the Softrock. I hope this helps you, and good luck.

          Duane W5PNM

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional