Images

  • Dave Anderson, K4SV
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      Hi All,

      I have built my RXTXv6.2 kit and it seems to work well with Rocky. In playing with it (160m) I can hear signals and it sounds great. I am using the crystal 14.74 or 1.840.5 as the LO.

      On the 160 meter band SSB starts at 1840 and up by gentelmans agreement. I can hear SSB right in the middle of the CW band and CW in the SSB band. As I move above the LO ,Rocky is also calibrated, I hear the SSB station on 1858. The SSB station is USB below the LO and LSB above, So at the end of the day I am hearing signals folded accross either side of the LO.

      Is this the way the SDR RXTXv6.2 receiver is to work or do I have something wrong?

      Thanks in advance,

      Dave Anderson, K4SV
      Tryon, NC
      828 777-5088

      www.K4SV.com
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
        Hi Dave,

        The SoftRock RX function should have good image rejection after the Rocky image null feature works on signals available on the band.  No image rejection indicates that one of the audio outputs from the RXTX board is not getting to the stereo line-in of the PC's soundcard.  There may be a problem at the RXTX board, at the soundcard input or in the connecting cable.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
          At 11:55 AM 1/1/2008, you wrote:
          > I hear the SSB station on 1858. The SSB station is USB below the
          > LO and LSB above, So at the end of the day I am hearing signals
          > folded accross either side of the LO.
          >
          >Is this the way the SDR RXTXv6.2 receiver is to work or do I have
          >something wrong?
          >
          >Thanks in advance,
          >
          >Dave Anderson, K4SV

          No, you have one of the signals not getting to the PC, check your
          cabling, the two signals are used to cancel images if one of them is
          missing you have no image rejection..

          Make sure you are connected to a stereo input of the sound card not a
          mono microphone input. Check your SoftRock for wrong components,
          parts inserted in the wrong holes, solder shorts, the transformers is
          an area where a lot of people make mistakes, did you scrape the wires
          before soldering?

          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com