Re: Winrad 1.30

  • w7qjq
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

      > I have just released V1.30 of Winrad, downloadable from
      > http://www.weaksignals.com
      >
      > - CPU load reduction by placing the fractional resampler after a
      > dynamically reconfigurable prescaler
      >
      > Reports welcome, thanks
      >
      > Happy New Year !
      >
      > 73 Alberto I2PHD

      Alberto,
      This is a great send-off for the new year! My cpu loading on this
      older XP machine dropped from about 70% to about 50%.
      But better... on my older Toshiba laptop which would immediately hit
      100% and crash with v1.25, now runs v1.3 at 80%.
      GOOD JOB!!

      73, Sid W7QJQ
      Oklahoma
    • Len Warner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        At 8:44 pm ((PST)) Mon Dec 31, 2007, in Digest 2085 w7qjq wrote:
        >[snip] My cpu loading on this
        >older XP machine dropped from about 70% to about 50%.
        >But better... on my older Toshiba laptop which would immediately hit
        >100% and crash with v1.25, now runs v1.3 at 80%.

        Please make these percentages more useful by
        telling us of what cpu speed each is a fraction.

        Otherwise, they are unrelated comparatives like
        "Sudso washes whiter" or trying to convince
        the judge you weren't speeding by quoting the
        tachometer reading - there's an important part
        of the calculation missing.

        I'm keen to know these things because I have a
        number of old computers and I would like to be
        able to estimate which may still be of some use
        for SDR. Some of them are Toshiba laptops,
        perhaps even older than yours, but since you
        haven't revealed your model I cannot be sure.

        Cpu clock speed would largely resolve this.

        Does anyone know of a comparative chart of
        minimum processing requirement for the various
        SDR packages? I know it has been touched on
        in previous posts and that usually a package
        gives some hint in its documentation but has it
        been tabulated systematically for all?

        Regards, LenW
      • w7qjq
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Len Warner <novost@...> wrote:

          > At 8:44 pm ((PST)) Mon Dec 31, 2007, in Digest 2085 w7qjq wrote:
          > >[snip] My cpu loading on this
          > >older XP machine dropped from about 70% to about 50%.
          > >But better... on my older Toshiba laptop which would immediately
          hit
          > >100% and crash with v1.25, now runs v1.3 at 80%.
          >
          > Please make these percentages more useful by
          > telling us of what cpu speed each is a fraction.

          > Regards, LenW

          Older desktop:
          generic, 2 GHz AMD x86 Family 6 Model 8
          512 MB RAM, XP Pro, Audigy SE

          Laptop:
          Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, 1.1 GHz Intel x86 Family 6 Model 11
          512 MB RAM, XP Pro, Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA

          Percentages from Windows Task Manager, Performance.
          Percentage values wander around on both machines...the above values
          are best-case numbers.

          73, Sid W7QJQ
          Oklahoma
        • arnoldwo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            Hello Alberto ,
            the new version cuts down the load on my DEll Latitude D810 Labtop  (1.86 GHZ, 1 Gbyte Ram ,soundcard E-MU1616 , xp prof) ) to 43..52 %.

            I use the software maily to record the signals of the spacecrafts.
            It would be nice to have some timemarks on the waterfalldisplay for long term recording if used is the slowest mode.

            best regards
            Wolfgang ,Dj3qd