Re: [softrock40] Re: USB Sound Blaster Live 24 bit Question

  • Jim Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2007
      Ross,

      I had apparently done something wrong when I installed the SB drivers and software.  I completely uninstalled the software and installed just the minimum required.  Rocky seems to be working just fine now.  Thanks for your help.  It pointed me to the way to get the USB SB working.

      73,

      Jim - W4BQP

      zl2wrw wrote:

      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Jim Campbell <jim_c@...> wrote:

      > I am running Rocky on an HP laptop that only has a microphone
      (monaural)
      > input. Based on comments on this list I purchased a USB SoundBlaster
      > Live external sound card. I can kind-of run Rocky using the internal
      > sound card, but can't get the SoundBlaster card to work at all.
      >
      > Can someone who has this setup running contact me and tell me how to
      > cable the SoundBlaster card to the Rocky device and the laptop?

      I am using a USB SB live 24bit external with my sockrock radio.
      (On a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP2)

      I found that the universal USB sound drivers built into windows XP
      weren't very good - I couldn't get rocky to do 96khz sample rate with
      the SB Live even with the "monitor" option turned off.

      I then installed the drivers and other software that came with the SB
      Live (follow the instructions that come with the SB Live). Tell the
      install utility that you only have two speakers. Do not enable
      surround sound processing, graphic equaliser, etc

      You then need to go into windows control panel and click on "Device
      Control". In Device control make sure that "Audio Monitoring" is *NOT*
      enabled, then set your sample rate to 96khz and your bit rate to 24bit.

      In Rocky, you can click on View, then Settings, and in the window that
      pops up, you can select which I/Q input device to use (SB Live! 24bit
      External) and sample rate, I/Q polarity, etc
      The audio output device that you see at the bottom of this screen is
      what Rocky plays the demodulated audio out of, you probably want to
      leave this set to your computer's built in sound card.
      If you then click on the tab "Transmit", you can select the IQ output
      device (SB Live! 24bit External)

      As I haven't got a proper antenna up yet, and I have not yet
      calibrated the I/Q phase balance for transmit, I have not tried the SB
      live on transmit yet - I would try using the Front Speaker or
      Headphone sockets on the SB Live the TX I/Q output to the softrock.

      If you still have problems then please make sure that CMSS (the green
      light on the front of the SB Live), bass boost, graphic equaliser,
      EAX/surround sound processing, "What U hear", etc are all turned off
      as they will mangle the I/Q signals.

      Good luck
      Ross Whenmouth ZL2WRW