Re: [softrock40] multiple soundcards on win2k??

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      At 12:13 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
      >cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??
      >
      >I can get one working fine (two in safe mode and two work fine in
      >Linux too)
      >
      >No conflicts etc, just bluescreens at every boot when two cards
      >installed with drivers
      >
      >Cheers - chris w

      An interrupt conflict is a very common way of getting the BSOD, that
      is the area to look around in and try to get the cards to have two
      different interrupts. If you are not using the parallel printer port
      disable it in the Bios to free up the interrupt, do the same with any
      COM ports not in use.

      This can be a very difficult issue to deal with.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • Chris Wiliams
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

        > You cannot do it.

        As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
        together in a system based on win2k - a well known OEM non-linear
        video editing suite aimed at the low of the pro market uses exactly
        that configuration and until a few days back was sat not 10 feet away
        from me at the other end of the shack.

        The two cards also work correctly when dual booting into linux.

        Ive not had chance to do any further tests yet, but I have had a
        number of suggestions from several groups as to how to get this working.

        Fingers crossed!
      • Ulf Jonsson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
          Mine is crossed to. It would be really sweet if we could use two 24bit
          live. I got mine for $10 incl shipping. To have two would enable the
          side tone etc to work right. Right now I am limited to 48kHz if I like
          to use side tone due to the in-built sound card.

          Ulf

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
            From: "Chris Wiliams" <
            > As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
            > together in a system based on win2k

            Sorry, I did not realise you were certain of this.
            The advice has always been to use different sound cards, I have never heard
            of two ordinary cards working together.

            In view of your comment I fitted a second SB24 to an XP system. It seemed to
            install OK and I could select either one for playback.
            However, I do not seem to be able to get the one Windows calls No2 to
            record. whether default or not. Device Manager does not allow IRQ(11)
            change, altering bios settings for the slots makes no difference.
            Therefore I have to agree that you are half right! One could use this for a
            Softrock. I've yet to see what Creative Device Manager does, it normally
            only sees one of a pair of different Creative cards. I doubt very much
            whether they could both be set to 96KHz.

            I wonder if the one you saw was using the Creative drivers or something
            else?

            Are the Linux drivers from Creative?

            Please let us know how you get on.