Re: [softrock40] SB Live 24 Sampling Rate

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      At 12:16 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

      >Alan,
      >
      >Thanks. I'll try reinstalling the card. Have reinstalled the
      >software several times to no avail. Thanks again.
      >
      >Tim

      Sometimes re-installing is not good enough, if there are some messed
      up registry entries then un-installing the software may leave the
      entries still in place to mess up the next install. Most un-install
      programs do a lousy job of getting rid of the entries it put in the
      first place.

      If you know what you are doing or you are a brave soul you need to
      edit the registries after the un-install and remove the entries for
      the SB card from the software section on the local machine. Steps 1
      and two are fairly safe, it's step 3 that can give you trouble if not
      done right.

      1. Remove the card and un-install the software.

      2. Run regedit, expand the local machine section, then expand the
      software section and delete the SB entry in it's entirety, that is fairly safe.

      3. Then stating at the beginning of the registry entries search for
      any entry relating to the card, this is the part that can be
      dangerous because you need to know at what level to delete the
      entries. The command is in the edit menu as "find", you keep
      re-trying (F3) until it can find any mention of the card,
      unfortunately I don't remember what I searched for, search for
      "Blaster" and see what happens. Sometimes you delete the one line
      sometimes you delete the whole section, it depends on what else the
      section contains, if it's just sound card stuff then delete the whole
      entry dealing with the SB if it contains information on other things
      just delete the line.

      A long time ago I had a similar problem with the SB Live 24 and that
      was the only way to bring it back to life, afterwards it installed
      and ran fine.

      You may want to try the step 1 and 2 they are fairly safe, step 3
      should be tried if you know what you are doing or are desperate. I
      must warn you, step three if done too careless could leave you with
      other functions not working right and no easy way to fix it. I work
      on computers quite often so steps one through three are not a problem
      for me, sometimes it's the only way to un-install some software that
      will not un-install by running it's un-install software. I have never
      harmed a PC doing this and I done it several hundreds of times, but
      I'm very careful and I have seen people totally trash the OS while
      doing step three and being careless.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • Jim Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        i highly recommend ccleaner.exe for removing debris from the registry and
        the pc in general.

        free, works great.

        jtm