Re: [softrock40] multiple soundcards on win2k??

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      From: "Chris Wiliams">
      > Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
      > cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??

      You cannot do it.
      Only a few cards (eg M-Audio) have drivers that will allow two identical
      cards to work together.
      You will need a different card, even another Creative one.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        At 12:13 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

        >Hi All,
        >
        >Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
        >cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??
        >
        >I can get one working fine (two in safe mode and two work fine in
        >Linux too)
        >
        >No conflicts etc, just bluescreens at every boot when two cards
        >installed with drivers
        >
        >Cheers - chris w

        An interrupt conflict is a very common way of getting the BSOD, that
        is the area to look around in and try to get the cards to have two
        different interrupts. If you are not using the parallel printer port
        disable it in the Bios to free up the interrupt, do the same with any
        COM ports not in use.

        This can be a very difficult issue to deal with.

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

      • Chris Wiliams
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

          > You cannot do it.

          As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
          together in a system based on win2k - a well known OEM non-linear
          video editing suite aimed at the low of the pro market uses exactly
          that configuration and until a few days back was sat not 10 feet away
          from me at the other end of the shack.

          The two cards also work correctly when dual booting into linux.

          Ive not had chance to do any further tests yet, but I have had a
          number of suggestions from several groups as to how to get this working.

          Fingers crossed!
        • Ulf Jonsson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            Mine is crossed to. It would be really sweet if we could use two 24bit
            live. I got mine for $10 incl shipping. To have two would enable the
            side tone etc to work right. Right now I am limited to 48kHz if I like
            to use side tone due to the in-built sound card.

            Ulf

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
              From: "Chris Wiliams" <
              > As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
              > together in a system based on win2k

              Sorry, I did not realise you were certain of this.
              The advice has always been to use different sound cards, I have never heard
              of two ordinary cards working together.

              In view of your comment I fitted a second SB24 to an XP system. It seemed to
              install OK and I could select either one for playback.
              However, I do not seem to be able to get the one Windows calls No2 to
              record. whether default or not. Device Manager does not allow IRQ(11)
              change, altering bios settings for the slots makes no difference.
              Therefore I have to agree that you are half right! One could use this for a
              Softrock. I've yet to see what Creative Device Manager does, it normally
              only sees one of a pair of different Creative cards. I doubt very much
              whether they could both be set to 96KHz.

              I wonder if the one you saw was using the Creative drivers or something
              else?

              Are the Linux drivers from Creative?

              Please let us know how you get on.