multiple soundcards on win2k??

  • Chris Wiliams
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
      Hi All,

      Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
      cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??

      I can get one working fine (two in safe mode and two work fine in
      Linux too)

      No conflicts etc, just bluescreens at every boot when two cards
      installed with drivers

      Cheers - chris w
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        From: "Chris Wiliams">
        > Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
        > cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??

        You cannot do it.
        Only a few cards (eg M-Audio) have drivers that will allow two identical
        cards to work together.
        You will need a different card, even another Creative one.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          At 12:13 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

          >Hi All,
          >
          >Anyone got any experience with setting up two soundblaster live 24
          >cards (internal) on windows 2000 pro??
          >
          >I can get one working fine (two in safe mode and two work fine in
          >Linux too)
          >
          >No conflicts etc, just bluescreens at every boot when two cards
          >installed with drivers
          >
          >Cheers - chris w

          An interrupt conflict is a very common way of getting the BSOD, that
          is the area to look around in and try to get the cards to have two
          different interrupts. If you are not using the parallel printer port
          disable it in the Bios to free up the interrupt, do the same with any
          COM ports not in use.

          This can be a very difficult issue to deal with.

          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

        • Chris Wiliams
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan" <g4zfq@...> wrote:

            > You cannot do it.

            As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
            together in a system based on win2k - a well known OEM non-linear
            video editing suite aimed at the low of the pro market uses exactly
            that configuration and until a few days back was sat not 10 feet away
            from me at the other end of the shack.

            The two cards also work correctly when dual booting into linux.

            Ive not had chance to do any further tests yet, but I have had a
            number of suggestions from several groups as to how to get this working.

            Fingers crossed!
          • Ulf Jonsson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2007
              Mine is crossed to. It would be really sweet if we could use two 24bit
              live. I got mine for $10 incl shipping. To have two would enable the
              side tone etc to work right. Right now I am limited to 48kHz if I like
              to use side tone due to the in-built sound card.

              Ulf

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
                From: "Chris Wiliams" <
                > As I commented in my original post, I have seen 2 live 24's working
                > together in a system based on win2k

                Sorry, I did not realise you were certain of this.
                The advice has always been to use different sound cards, I have never heard
                of two ordinary cards working together.

                In view of your comment I fitted a second SB24 to an XP system. It seemed to
                install OK and I could select either one for playback.
                However, I do not seem to be able to get the one Windows calls No2 to
                record. whether default or not. Device Manager does not allow IRQ(11)
                change, altering bios settings for the slots makes no difference.
                Therefore I have to agree that you are half right! One could use this for a
                Softrock. I've yet to see what Creative Device Manager does, it normally
                only sees one of a pair of different Creative cards. I doubt very much
                whether they could both be set to 96KHz.

                I wonder if the one you saw was using the Creative drivers or something
                else?

                Are the Linux drivers from Creative?

                Please let us know how you get on.