Configuring SR RXTX6.2 15/17M for 17/20M instead - suggestion?

  • david feldman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
      Looking for suggestion - I'd like to build 15/17M SR RXTX6.2 for use on 17/20M instead, to complement the SR RXTX6.1 I built for 30/40M (goal is these two boards in a box with Si570 oscillator). This would give me 17-40M in two modules that would be ideal for my antenna, operating time-of-day conditions and limited kit-building time. Before trying to rework filter component parameters, wanted to know if this had been looked at yet.

      Very tks,

      73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz@...

      You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now.
    • mikecol2
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
        > Looking for suggestion - I'd like to build 15/17M SR RXTX6.2 for use
        on 17/20M instead, to complement the SR RXTX6.1 I built for 30/40M
        (goal is these two boards in a box with Si570 oscillator).

        Hi Dave,

        I thought about it but went with the 40/80M, 20/30M, and 17/15M kits
        instead. I am also planning on getting the 12/10M when it is
        available. What I have done is to box two RXTX units together and
        have relay switching for the audio (out to computer only) and RF coax.
        If you look in the photo section under my call, KF4BQ you can see the
        dual RXTX box (four bands) on the lower left side of my circuit
        projects pict.

        The box has single computer inputs/outputs and single RF connector.
        The power switch pick which unit to power and drives the relays for
        switching audio output and RF coax. I didn't switch the audio input
        (from the computer) since the lower impedance and higher drive of the
        audio card can drive two softrock inputs without switching. Keyline
        controls were also paralleled.

        I plan on doing this again to fit the 17/15M and 12/10M kits. Then I
        will have two boxes covering 80-10meters. As shown in the picture
        each of my RXTX daughter boards are mounted 90deg so I can piggyback
        another daughter board giving me 4 freqs/board. I haven't finished
        yet because I'm hoping on using a WB6DHW Si570 board instead of the
        piggybacked boards to drive the crystal inputs instead. You can see
        one on the completed (except waiting for the SI570) boards in the photo.

        I haven't done the filtering changes, but with the freq ratios being
        close I'm sure you could. I did do some filter redesign of my Power
        Mosfet amplifier changing the filter design from 160M, 80M, 40M, 30M,
        20/17M, 15/12/10M grouping to: 160M, 80M, 40M, 30/20M, 17/15M, 12/10M
        groupings. This fit my Softrock RXTX configuration better (just the
        opposite for you). You can read about the details in the files
        section under my call (KF4BQ and HF amp modifications).

        73's Mike Collins KF4BQ
      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
          At 01:46 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

          > > Looking for suggestion - I'd like to build 15/17M SR RXTX6.2 for use
          >on 17/20M instead, to complement the SR RXTX6.1 I built for 30/40M
          >(goal is these two boards in a box with Si570 oscillator).
          >
          >Hi Dave,
          >
          >I thought about it but went with the 40/80M, 20/30M, and 17/15M kits
          >instead. I am also planning on getting the 12/10M when it is
          >available. What I have done is to box two RXTX units together and
          >have relay switching for the audio (out to computer only) and RF coax.
          >If you look in the photo section under my call, KF4BQ you can see the
          >dual RXTX box (four bands) on the lower left side of my circuit
          >projects pict.
          >
          >The box has single computer inputs/outputs and single RF connector.
          >The power switch pick which unit to power and drives the relays for
          >switching audio output and RF coax. I didn't switch the audio input
          >(from the computer) since the lower impedance and higher drive of the
          >audio card can drive two softrock inputs without switching. Keyline
          >controls were also paralleled.
          >
          >I plan on doing this again to fit the 17/15M and 12/10M kits. Then I
          >will have two boxes covering 80-10meters. As shown in the picture
          >each of my RXTX daughter boards are mounted 90deg so I can piggyback
          >another daughter board giving me 4 freqs/board. I haven't finished
          >yet because I'm hoping on using a WB6DHW Si570 board instead of the
          >piggybacked boards to drive the crystal inputs instead. You can see
          >one on the completed (except waiting for the SI570) boards in the photo.
          >
          >I haven't done the filtering changes, but with the freq ratios being
          >close I'm sure you could. I did do some filter redesign of my Power
          >Mosfet amplifier changing the filter design from 160M, 80M, 40M, 30M,
          >20/17M, 15/12/10M grouping to: 160M, 80M, 40M, 30/20M, 17/15M, 12/10M
          >groupings. This fit my Softrock RXTX configuration better (just the
          >opposite for you). You can read about the details in the files
          >section under my call (KF4BQ and HF amp modifications).
          >
          >73's Mike Collins KF4BQ

          I would invite you to create a blog on my site and document your
          whole experience so others can benefit from it. You can also add pictures in.

          < http://www.softrockradio.org/ >

          Thanks

          Cecil
          K5NWA