SB Live 24 Sampling Rate

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2007
      This is a repeat of an earlier question.  My SoftRock40 RXTXv6.2 80/40m rigs works great with Rocky 3.32.  But I need some expert help in resetting the sampling rate.  Currently it's at 48 KHz.  I would like to change it to 96 KHz.  When I double click on DEVICE CONTROL in the CONTROL PANEL, I get the following error message:

      An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32dl,Control_RunDLL
      "C:\WINDOWS\system32\USBAudio/cpl",Device Control"

      My sound card is a PCI version of Soundblaster Live 24.  I do have a SignaLink USB running an EchoLink node, and I use the on-board SigmaTel sound for audio output from Rocky..

      Any thoughts on how I can change my sampling rate on the SB?  Thanks.

      Tim

      p.s. I also have an USB version of the SB Live 24 but haven't installed it yet.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
          Alan,

          Thanks.  I'll try reinstalling the card.  Have reinstalled the software several times to no avail.  Thanks again.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
            Alan,

            Uninstalling the software, and the soundcard and reinstalling both did the trick.  Wow, having 96 khz of sampling really expands the range.  I appreciate very much your response and suggestions.  See you on the air.

            Tim
            Ruidoso, NM

            >When I double click on DEVICE CONTROL in the CONTROL PANEL, I get the
            > following error message:
            >
            > An exception occurred while trying to run
            > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32dl,Control_RunDLL
            > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\USBAudio/cpl",Device Control"

            I have not seen this.
            Looks as if it may be some sort of software problem.
            All I can suggest is to remove the card, uninstall the software.
            Restart the computer.
            Then fit the card again and reinstall the software.
            Lots of fiddling but it MIGHT work!
            Device Control is the only way I know to set 96KHz.
            However there could be something else conflicting.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • k5nwa
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
              At 12:16 PM 12/2/2007, you wrote:

              >Alan,
              >
              >Thanks. I'll try reinstalling the card. Have reinstalled the
              >software several times to no avail. Thanks again.
              >
              >Tim

              Sometimes re-installing is not good enough, if there are some messed
              up registry entries then un-installing the software may leave the
              entries still in place to mess up the next install. Most un-install
              programs do a lousy job of getting rid of the entries it put in the
              first place.

              If you know what you are doing or you are a brave soul you need to
              edit the registries after the un-install and remove the entries for
              the SB card from the software section on the local machine. Steps 1
              and two are fairly safe, it's step 3 that can give you trouble if not
              done right.

              1. Remove the card and un-install the software.

              2. Run regedit, expand the local machine section, then expand the
              software section and delete the SB entry in it's entirety, that is fairly safe.

              3. Then stating at the beginning of the registry entries search for
              any entry relating to the card, this is the part that can be
              dangerous because you need to know at what level to delete the
              entries. The command is in the edit menu as "find", you keep
              re-trying (F3) until it can find any mention of the card,
              unfortunately I don't remember what I searched for, search for
              "Blaster" and see what happens. Sometimes you delete the one line
              sometimes you delete the whole section, it depends on what else the
              section contains, if it's just sound card stuff then delete the whole
              entry dealing with the SB if it contains information on other things
              just delete the line.

              A long time ago I had a similar problem with the SB Live 24 and that
              was the only way to bring it back to life, afterwards it installed
              and ran fine.

              You may want to try the step 1 and 2 they are fairly safe, step 3
              should be tried if you know what you are doing or are desperate. I
              must warn you, step three if done too careless could leave you with
              other functions not working right and no easy way to fix it. I work
              on computers quite often so steps one through three are not a problem
              for me, sometimes it's the only way to un-install some software that
              will not un-install by running it's un-install software. I have never
              harmed a PC doing this and I done it several hundreds of times, but
              I'm very careful and I have seen people totally trash the OS while
              doing step three and being careless.

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Jim Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 2, 2007
                i highly recommend ccleaner.exe for removing debris from the registry and
                the pc in general.

                free, works great.

                jtm