Re: [softrock40] Re: Daughter board on SR 15/17m

  • Jose Bonanca
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
      Paul I do not have the crystal for 17m however i do have two crystal for 15m
      28060 and 28224. What would be the recommended tuning frequency please.
      I'm afraid some transistor is again not working because I get 48000 to 50000 not stable and 62000 with the 1k capacitor.

      Appreciate your information.

      Jose

      On Nov 30, 2007 10:02 PM, Paul Kiciak <paul@...> wrote:

      Hi Jose,

      > I've finished my assembly of the 15/17m kit. The daughter board reads
      > unstable between 45.000MHz to 49.000MHz
      > As I have some experience assembling the daughter boards, I would
      > appreciate
      > any information to fine tune the DAUGHTER BOARD.
      > Paul, is it the same procedure you told me for the 20/30m kit.?

      I have no personal experience with the 15/17m kit but, yes,
      I would recommend tuning the tank to midway between the
      two oscillation frequencies, here for 17m and 15m, with
      a capacitor shunting the selected crystal, as before for the
      30/20m kit.

      73,
      Paul N2PK

      --
      Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
    • Paul Kiciak
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
        Hi Jose,

        > Paul I do not have the crystal for 17m however
        > i do have two crystal for 15m 28060 and 28224.
        > What would be the recommended tuning frequency
        > please.

        For 15m operation only, I'd recommend tuning
        the tank with the 1000 pF capacitor across the
        selected crystal to about 3*28150 = 84450 kHz
        within about 500 kHz.

        I suppose you could also probe one of the 74AC74
        outputs and then you would be looking for about
        21100 kHz within about 125 kHz.

        > I'm afraid some transistor is again not working
        > because I get 48000 to 50000 not stable and
        > 62000 with the 1k capacitor.

        62 MHz with the capacitor is too low. I'd guess
        you will have to take a turn or two off the inductor
        before you can tune it to 84.45 MHz by moving the
        turns about on the core.

        Hopefully after that, the frequency will be stable
        with the crystals that you have.

        73
        Paul N2PK
      • Jose Bonanca
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hi Paul,

          no I don't get around 84450KHz the most i got was 79230 UNSTABLE so I guess there must be an error somewhere.
          I got this reading with 7 turns when i reached 6 turns the oscillator stopped.
          The total amount is 9 turns... As I don't have an impedance meter I am done. can't see what else casn be wrong

          Can your give me some more suggestions.
          Thanks for the help.
          73 de Jose

          On Dec 1, 2007 12:05 PM, Paul Kiciak <paul@...> wrote:

          Hi Jose,

          > Paul I do not have the crystal for 17m however
          > i do have two crystal for 15m 28060 and 28224.
          > What would be the recommended tuning frequency
          > please.

          For 15m operation only, I'd recommend tuning
          the tank with the 1000 pF capacitor across the
          selected crystal to about 3*28150 = 84450 kHz
          within about 500 kHz.

          I suppose you could also probe one of the 74AC74
          outputs and then you would be looking for about
          21100 kHz within about 125 kHz.

          > I'm afraid some transistor is again not working
          > because I get 48000 to 50000 not stable and
          > 62000 with the 1k capacitor.

          62 MHz with the capacitor is too low. I'd guess
          you will have to take a turn or two off the inductor
          before you can tune it to 84.45 MHz by moving the
          turns about on the core.

          Hopefully after that, the frequency will be stable
          with the crystals that you have.

          73
          Paul N2PK

          --
          Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
        • mikecol2
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
            > no I don't get around 84450KHz the most i got was 79230 UNSTABLE so
            I guess
            > there must be an error somewhere.
            > I got this reading with 7 turns when i reached 6 turns the oscillator
            > stopped.
            > The total amount is 9 turns... As I don't have an impedance meter I
            am done.
            > Can your give me some more suggestions.

            Hi Jose,

            I was playing around with the 15m/17m oscillator board (N2PK) today
            and have some data for you.
            With the suggested 9 turns I measured .26uH on my AADE L/C meter.
            With that coil (L100) in place my oscillator measured:
            w 1800 pf cap: 71Mhz
            w 1500 pf cap: 71.4Mhz
            w 470 pf cap: 72.7Mhz
            w 100 pf cap: 76.4Mhz
            w 28.06 XTAL: 84.25Mhz
            w 28.224 XTAL: 84.73Mhz

            The cylinder 28Mhz XTAL Tony gave us to try didn't oscillate with the
            stock 9T coil.

            Just to compare my 20m/30m: it resonated at about 46Mhz. Using the
            tank circuit of .43uH (spec'ed) with the 12pf the calculated
            additional Cexternal is about 15pf.
            If you add this Cexternal of 15pf to the 6.8pf and .22uH for the
            15m/17m circuit it calculates out to a resonant freq of 73Mhz. This
            matches quite well to what I measured using the caps instead of the XTAL.

            Hope that help some. Summary: mine works fine with the stock 9T
            specified.

            73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
          • Jose Bonanca
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
              Thank you very much Mike. this is what i needed but now I  think my Q101 is troubled because i am  measuring 10V30 on the emitter.
              Nice data you get. will try to replace Q101.

              Thanks
              73 de Jose.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                > Thank you very much Mike. this is what i needed but now I think my
                Q101 is
                > troubled because i am measuring 10V30 on the emitter.
                > Nice data you get. will try to replace Q101.

                No problem. Hope you get the circuit up and running!!

                You probably know already but the emitters of Q100 and Q101 are biased
                about 5.3V or so ( i.e. 12V supply divided by 2 (from base resistor
                divider) and down another .7 (Vbe of transistor) ).

                73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
              • Jose Bonanca
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                  yes Mike...I got the unit working now.
                  It reads 84255.1KHz.
                  Very good.
                  Many thanks.
                  Regards
                  jose

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                    Hi Jose,

                    >Can your give me some more suggestions.

                    Not much. You could check voltages, I suppose,
                    to see if they make sense. I don't know why
                    the oscillator would quit with six turns.

                    It seems that something is wrong since you
                    report the frequency isn't stable but that
                    depends on the range that you see too.

                    As I say, I have had no experience with the
                    17/15m kit so can't contribute much more.

                    I did do a little work at 10m with
                    a 112 MHz oscillation frequency. That had
                    fewer turns yet and think I switched to an
                    air core inductor. In any case, the oscillator
                    shouldn't stop with six turns as you report,
                    so it appears there is something wrong in the
                    build.

                    73,
                    Paul N2PK
                  • mikecol2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007

                      > yes Mike...I got the unit working now.
                      > It reads 84255.1KHz.
                      > Very good.

                      Excellent!! Mine ended up at 84251.38Khz after everything was solder
                      up correctly :) Short crystal (marked 28.2C76) ended up at 84731.94Khz.

                      73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                    • Jose Bonanca
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2007
                        Fine Paul...
                        I have the full unit working from a few minutes ago...
                        I am already enjoying the band...Although its almost dead.
                        Many thanks for your help.
                        Won't forget that.

                        Regards
                        de Jose