Re: First real QSO on Softrock! Need advice on a few issues

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "thetribologist" <jonssouj@...>
      wrote:

      > I got my first real CW QSO through tonight. WR5U in southern LA
      helped
      > me to struggle through a first real QSO.
      >
      > I moved the Softrock from the basement and connected it to may main
      PC
      > in the living room. I also got a SB live 24bit card installed.. All
      > that show that there is something going on is the key. Kind of cool
      > have an invisible shack. I'm going to try to find an old
      router/switch
      > case to mount it in...
      >
      > A problem I have with this setup is that I can hear the IQ signal in
      > the speaker from stations close to the center frequency.
      > I can't find a way to eliminate them. Any idea what causes this?
      >
      > An other or maybe related issue is that the input signal appears
      low.
      > the noise level is -160dB in the display so there is something funny
      > with my settings.
      >
      > Ulf
      > K1Ulf

      Congrats Ulf!
      There are little keyers built into Altoids boxes, and other small
      things. That way, even the key can be hidden. Except for wires.

      How about building the key into a fake iPod device? that way, wires
      are assumed to be earbuds.....

      Regarding hearing the IQ signal in the speakers, you probably have
      the Creative/Windows mixer set with Line-In enabled for sound
      playback. Try muting the "line-in" on the playback Windows sound
      mixer, but leave it enabled for the record side mixer.

      Terry
      WB4JFI