Softrock-40 IF with PowerSDR and HRD

  • Russell Blair
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
      I was looking for the posting about the subject line,
      I have a TS450sat and would like to see if I can
      incorperate the softrock-40 IF unit to this radio, I
      also have a 8.83 if filter slot not in use. Please
      send me an email off the list so we want take up list
      time.

      Tnx Russell

      =================
      IN GOD WE TRUST !
      =================
      Russell Blair

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hi Russell,

        Quite a few 8.817 MHz SoftRock Lite kits have been ordered in recent months.  The kit may be ordered at a price of $12.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG
        I was looking for the posting about the subject line,
        I have a TS450sat and would like to see if I can
        incorperate the softrock-40 IF unit to this radio, I
        also have a 8.83 if filter slot not in use. Please
        send me an email off the list so we want take up list
        time.

        Tnx Russell

        ============ =====
        IN GOD WE TRUST !
        ============ =====
        Russell Blair

        http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

      • Russell Blair
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
          Thanks Tony, Being retired I may sale the two unit I
          have (40/30 and the 20/30) both work good, and with
          the funds get one of the 8.817 Mhz units. So thanks I
          will let you know.

          Russell
          --- Tony Parks <raparks@...> wrote:

          > Hi Russell,
          >
          > Quite a few 8.817 MHz SoftRock Lite kits have been
          > ordered in recent months. The kit may be ordered at
          > a price of $12.
          >
          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

          =================
          IN GOD WE TRUST !
          =================
          Russell Blair

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Cecil Bayona
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
            Russell Blair wrote:

            > I was looking for the posting about the subject line,
            > I have a TS450sat and would like to see if I can
            > incorperate the softrock-40 IF unit to this radio, I
            > also have a 8.83 if filter slot not in use. Please
            > send me an email off the list so we want take up list
            > time.
            >
            > Tnx Russell
            >
            > =================
            > IN GOD WE TRUST !
            > =================
            > Russell Blair

            I bet a lot of other people would rather you keep the comments on the
            list, there are many interested in interfacing to an older radio.

            By the way use the pan adapter outputs on the back of the radio, no need
            to modify the radio when it already has the 8.830MHz IF available on the
            back of the radio.
          • Russell Blair
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
              Sorry Cecil, I didnt mean to leave anyone out, I was
              lookinf on the back of the Radio (TS-450sat) there is
              3 plugs (DSP-1-2-3) for a DSP-100 unit, the manual
              doesn't say what thes plus do, So I will start looking
              for a pin-out off the Block Diagram from the book.

              Thanks Russell
              --- Cecil Bayona <k5nwa@...> wrote:

              > Russell Blair wrote:
              > >

              > > I was looking for the posting about the subject
              > line,
              > > I have a TS450sat and would like to see if I can
              > > incorperate the softrock-40 IF unit to this radio,
              > > also have a 8.83 if filter slot not in use. Please
              > > send me an email off the list so we want take up
              > list
              > > time.
              > >
              > > Tnx Russell
              > >
              > > =================
              > > IN GOD WE TRUST !
              > > =================
              > > Russell Blair
              > >

              > I bet a lot of other people would rather you keep
              > the comments on the
              > list, there are many interested in interfacing to an
              > older radio.
              >
              > By the way use the pan adapter outputs on the back
              > of the radio, no need
              > to modify the radio when it already has the 8.830MHz
              > IF available on the
              > back of the radio.

              =================
              IN GOD WE TRUST !
              =================
              Russell Blair

            • Russell Blair
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
                If any one has added an softrock to a TS-450sat I
                would like to know and please add your input.

                Russell
                --- Cecil Bayona <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                > Russell Blair wrote:
                > >

                > > I was looking for the posting about the subject
                > line,
                > > I have a TS450sat and would like to see if I can
                > > incorperate the softrock-40 IF unit to this radio,
                > > also have a 8.83 if filter slot not in use. Please
                > > send me an email off the list so we want take up
                > list
                > > time.
                > >
                > > Tnx Russell
                > >
                > > =================
                > > IN GOD WE TRUST !
                > > =================
                > > Russell Blair
                > >

                > I bet a lot of other people would rather you keep
                > the comments on the
                > list, there are many interested in interfacing to an
                > older radio.
                >
                > By the way use the pan adapter outputs on the back
                > of the radio, no need
                > to modify the radio when it already has the 8.830MHz
                > IF available on the
                > back of the radio.

                =================
                IN GOD WE TRUST !
                =================
                Russell Blair

                Be a better pen pal.
              • k5nwa
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
                  At 07:39 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:

                  Sorry Cecil, I didnt mean to leave anyone out, I was
                  lookinf on the back of the Radio (TS-450sat) there is
                  3 plugs (DSP-1-2-3) for a DSP-100 unit, the manual
                  doesn't say what thes plus do, So I will start looking
                  for a pin-out off the Block Diagram from the book.

                  Thanks Russell
                  --- Cecil Bayona <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                  I'll see if I can find it in the next day or so, I have both a users and technical manual for the TS-450 on PDF files.

                  Cecil
                  K5NWA
                  www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

                • Russell Blair
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
                    Thanks Cecil, that will help a lot.

                    Russell
                    --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                    > At 07:39 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >Sorry Cecil, I didnt mean to leave anyone out, I
                    > was
                    > >lookinf on the back of the Radio (TS-450sat) there
                    > is
                    > >3 plugs (DSP-1-2-3) for a DSP-100 unit, the manual
                    > >doesn't say what thes plus do, So I will start
                    > looking
                    > >for a pin-out off the Block Diagram from the book.
                    > >
                    > >Thanks Russell
                    > >--- Cecil Bayona
                    > <<mailto:k5nwa%40sbcglobal.net>k5nwa@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > I'll see if I can find it in the next day or so, I
                    > have both a users
                    > and technical manual for the TS-450 on PDF files.
                    >

                    > Cecil
                    > K5NWA
                    > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                    >
                    > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
                    > light."

                    =================
                    IN GOD WE TRUST !
                    =================
                    Russell Blair

                  • k5nwa
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 25, 2007
                      At 09:43 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:

                      Thanks Cecil, that will help a lot.

                      Russell
                      --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                      A real quickie so you can get started, I found this, a schematic, the technical manual is extremely thorough;

                      http://www.qrpradio.com/pub/Ham/Radios/Kenwood/TS-450/  >

                      One thing to watch out for is that the signal level at the back connector is quite high, on my TS-930 it's .1V PP signal, that can easily overload the SoftRock. I cut down the gain of the SoftRock and put an attenuator pad to reduce the incoming level while also insuring a 50 Ohm load on the signal.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                        Cecil, I found the crystal filter on the IF board (IF
                        UNIT X48-3090-XX) but these are for the 455 IF and I
                        still looking for the 8.83 Mhz IF filters. Still
                        looking for the plug and pin.

                        Tnx for the help

                        Russell
                        --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                        > At 09:43 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
                        >
                        > >Thanks Cecil, that will help a lot.
                        > >
                        > >Russell
                        > >--- k5nwa
                        > <<mailto:k5nwa%40sbcglobal.net>k5nwa@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > A real quickie so you can get started, I found this,
                        > a schematic, the
                        > technical manual is extremely thorough;
                        >
                        > <

                        http://www.qrpradio.com/pub/Ham/Radios/Kenwood/TS-450/

                        > One thing to watch out for is that the signal level
                        > at the back
                        > connector is quite high, on my TS-930 it's .1V PP
                        > signal, that can
                        > easily overload the SoftRock. I cut down the gain of
                        > the SoftRock and
                        > put an attenuator pad to reduce the incoming level
                        > while also
                        > insuring a 50 Ohm load on the signal.
                        >

                        > Cecil
                        > K5NWA
                        > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                        >
                        > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
                        > light."

                        =================
                        IN GOD WE TRUST !
                        =================
                        Russell Blair

                        Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                      • k5nwa
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                          At 08:20 AM 11/26/2007, you wrote:

                          >Cecil, I found the crystal filter on the IF board (IF
                          >UNIT X48-3090-XX) but these are for the 455 IF and I
                          >still looking for the 8.83 Mhz IF filters. Still
                          >looking for the plug and pin.
                          >
                          >Tnx for the help

                          What you are looking for is the panadapter outputs, I'm not sure on
                          the TS-450 but in some Kenwoods you have two panadapter outputs a
                          high frequency and a low frequency, the high frequency one is at 8.830MHz.

                          I'll take a look tonight for the CD's with the files in it, I also
                          have FT-817, TS820, TS830, TS-930, TS-940 radios with both operation
                          and tech manuals since I have all those radios.

                          Best receiver? The TS-830 by a long shot followed by the TS-940.

                          Cecil
                          KD5NWA

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                            Ok Cecil yes the TS-830 is about the best for radio
                            for contesting around, and if you want a radio that
                            can hang in when the going gets tuff then the TS-830
                            is the way to go, if you can't hear them you cant work
                            them. Look for your email to night.

                            Thanks Russell

                            --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                            > At 08:20 AM 11/26/2007, you wrote:
                            >
                            > >Cecil, I found the crystal filter on the IF board
                            > (IF
                            > >UNIT X48-3090-XX) but these are for the 455 IF and
                            > >still looking for the 8.83 Mhz IF filters. Still
                            > >looking for the plug and pin.
                            > >
                            > >Tnx for the help
                            > >

                            > What you are looking for is the panadapter outputs,
                            > I'm not sure on
                            > the TS-450 but in some Kenwoods you have two
                            > panadapter outputs a
                            > high frequency and a low frequency, the high
                            > frequency one is at 8.830MHz.
                            >
                            > I'll take a look tonight for the CD's with the files
                            > in it, I also
                            > have FT-817, TS820, TS830, TS-930, TS-940 radios
                            > with both operation
                            > and tech manuals since I have all those radios.
                            >
                            > Best receiver? The TS-830 by a long shot followed by
                            > the TS-940.
                            >

                            > Cecil
                            > KD5NWA
                            > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                            >
                            > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
                            > light."

                            =================
                            IN GOD WE TRUST !
                            =================
                            Russell Blair

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • Jose Bonanca
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                              If you don't have a TS870S you don't know what you are missing.
                              73

                              --
                              Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
                            • k5nwa
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                                At 01:02 PM 11/26/2007, you wrote:

                                If you don't have a TS870S you don't know what you are missing.
                                73

                                On Nov 26, 2007 6:40 PM, Russell Blair < russell_blair86@...> wrote:

                                It's on my sights, however they command a pretty hefty price.

                                Cecil
                                KD5NWA

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 26, 2007
                                  It deserves what it costs. Its a nice transceiver...
                                  I have had the 940 but returned it in favor of 870.
                                  73 agn.
                                  I have it working with the rocky3.2 and te sr lite 6.2 IF... So far so good.

                                  On Nov 26, 2007 7:09 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                  > At 01:02 PM 11/26/2007, you wrote:
                                  >
                                  > If you don't have a TS870S you don't know what you are missing.
                                  > 73
                                  >
                                  > On Nov 26, 2007 6:40 PM, Russell Blair < russell_blair86@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > It's on my sights, however they command a pretty hefty price.
                                  >

                                  > Cecil
                                  > KD5NWA
                                  > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                  >
                                  > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

                                  --
                                  Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
                                • Gary Winblad
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 28, 2007
                                    It looks like nobody found this "plug" yet.
                                    I am pretty sure that is because is doesn't exist!
                                    I have a TS-440s and it does NOT have IF output, not sure but I
                                    think the TS-450s is pretty much the same.. if so you are going
                                    to have an even bigger problem. The 440s has a roofing filter in
                                    the first IF at 40.05MHz, so if you tap the 8.83MHz 2nd IF, you are
                                    not going to have a very wide band to work with.
                                    I am working on a solution.
                                    Gary WB6OGD

                                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Russell Blair <russell_blair86@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Cecil, I found the crystal filter on the IF board (IF
                                    > UNIT X48-3090-XX) but these are for the 455 IF and I
                                    > still looking for the 8.83 Mhz IF filters. Still
                                    > looking for the plug and pin.
                                    >
                                    > Tnx for the help
                                    >
                                    > Russell
                                    > --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > At 09:43 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > >Thanks Cecil, that will help a lot.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >Russell
                                    > > >--- k5nwa
                                    > > <<mailto:k5nwa%40sbcglobal.net>k5nwa@...>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > A real quickie so you can get started, I found this,
                                    > > a schematic, the
                                    > > technical manual is extremely thorough;
                                    > >
                                    > > <
                                    > >
                                    > http://www.qrpradio.com/pub/Ham/Radios/Kenwood/TS-450/
                                    > > >

                                    > > One thing to watch out for is that the signal level
                                    > > at the back
                                    > > connector is quite high, on my TS-930 it's .1V PP
                                    > > signal, that can
                                    > > easily overload the SoftRock. I cut down the gain of
                                    > > the SoftRock and
                                    > > put an attenuator pad to reduce the incoming level
                                    > > while also
                                    > > insuring a 50 Ohm load on the signal.
                                    > >

                                    > > Cecil
                                    > > K5NWA
                                    > > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                    > >
                                    > > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the
                                    > > light."
                                    >

                                    > =================
                                    > IN GOD WE TRUST !
                                    > =================
                                    > Russell Blair

                                    > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                                    > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                                  • Russell Blair
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 28, 2007
                                      Gary, Thanks for your input, and I would be interested
                                      in any help or the Solution that you are working on to
                                      provide more Band. I'm not sure about the roofing
                                      filter. I am hoping to get the TS450SAT using a
                                      Softrock-40 IF unit along with HRD and PowerSDR-40. I
                                      posted a message on the Kenwood group and I haven't
                                      heard any thing about my post.

                                      Russell NC5O

                                      IN GOD WE TRUST !
                                      Russell Blair