RE: [softrock40] Re: Interference from PC?

  • Stan Rife
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 18 11:25 AM
      Message
         Tony, one thing I noticed, when just playing around with the SDR software, was the 600 Hz tone that comes from the soundcard (?) at the 7.056 freq. after the Fixed HW oscilator is set up per the instructions. This is, of course, without the SoftRock hardware installed, as I do not even have my kit YET. (boo hoo).
          Is this oscilator tone, at that freq., something that will always be there? I saw a procedure in the manual that said something about going above 7.056, as much as the test oscilator is below 7.056 and adjusting for a null. I am not quite clear on all of this. I do have an XG-1, and I assume that is what this is refering to.

      Stan Rife
      W5EWA
      Houston, TX
      K2 S/N 4216

      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 29, 2005
        Rein,

        When I operate on the low bands (40M thru 160M) I have to turn off my
        PC's. In fact I sometimes have had to unplug them completely, as the
        power supply isn't completely off when the On/Off switch is in the Off
        position.

        I found the problem to be caused by the computer's switching power
        supply. In fact I lost a power supply in one of my computers recenly,
        and replaced it with a better grade supply, and then was happy to find
        that the noise from that computer was gone.

        Try unplugging your computer completely and see if that quiets things
        down.

        Bob WA6UFQ