Re: Si580 Group - REST OF THE STORY

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 1, 2007
      Tim.

      If you look here http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/butterfly/bflydds.HTM, You
      can find the information about and even the program for the AVR
      Butterfly project board. As it so happens I already have the AD9851
      (I think) which can be had as "sample" for free from Analog Devices
      simply by filling out an online request (you pay for the remaining
      life of your email address with their promotional emails -- about 1 a
      week though I guess you could filter them out if desired)

      What really amazed me when I got mine was their method of shipping
      (must have cost them $15) and it came quickly. I am ordering one of
      the AVR Butterflies since I already have the chip. How can you beat
      that price from digikey (about $21.50 plus shipping).

      Still need to pick up the daughterboard or build one though.

      73

      Garry/Ve7ajj

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tg6124" <ab0wr@...> wrote:

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Art <KY1K@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Stand alone operation only makes sense if the Si570 is used as
      > a general
      > > >purpose test oscillator. Then one has to decide what the human
      > input is -
      > > >keypad, rotary knob, pushbutton switches, etc - and what output,
      > such as an
      > > >lcd, led's etc are wanted.
      > >
      > > If I end up getting one of these, it will probably be used as a
      > local
      > > oscillator for portable equipment and for bench applications where
      > an
      > > extremely precise and clean signal isn't needed. For my
      > applications,
      > > it might never be hooked to a computer and will definitely have to
      > be
      > > somewhat portable. Let's not lock users into a PC controlled unit.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Art
      > >

      > Someone mentioned using an AVR Butterfly. I had never looked at one
      > of these but I am pretty impressed with what you get for $20. There
      > is no reason why one of these couldn't be set up as a controller.
      > With a built-in six char LCD you can get 100hz resolution or you
      can
      > get 1hz resolution by alternating the Mhz setting with the rest of
      > the digits.
      >
      > Especially for use with the SDR where 10 presets would be sufficient
      > to cover any band up to 20m, the joystick on the board is more than
      > sufficient to navigate up and down the band. Even programming in the
      > use of multiple bands shouldn't be that hard.
      >
      > I'm going to take a close look at using one of these on my setup. It
      > will take a little while to learn atmega programming but I'll be it
      > won't be too hard to set up a minimal program.
      >
      > tim ab0wr

    • Chris Albertson
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 1, 2007
        On 11/1/07, tg6124 <ab0wr@...> wrote:

        > Someone mentioned using an AVR Butterfly. I had never looked at one
        > of these but I am pretty impressed with what you get for $20. There
        > is no reason why one of these couldn't be set up as a controller.

        What makes these so good is that Atmel is not making money on them.
        They tend to push their development systems out at cost or maybe
        even a loss. So I'd say take advantage of it.

        Don't worry about how many digits the LCD can display. The device
        comes pre-programmed as a scrolling name tag. You enter your
        name and it scrolls horizontally. There is even a clip so you can pin it on.
        You can do the same with a frequency display are you might want
        allow for some named presets. The microcontroller is gross
        overkill for this application. It's a general
        purpose device so you could use it for other projects.

        I have some other Atmel boards I got cheap but neither has a display

        --
        =====
        Chris Albertson
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
          AVR butterfly is a very good choice, it can run both stand alone and
          connected to the PC, via RS232. even USB is possible I think.
          Currently I'm using it connected to a DDS-60, with software from KD1JV:
          http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/page4.html

          Gerrit.

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Art <KY1K@> wrote:
          >
          > Someone mentioned using an AVR Butterfly. I had never looked at one
          > of these but I am pretty impressed with what you get for $20. There
          > is no reason why one of these couldn't be set up as a controller.
          > With a built-in six char LCD you can get 100hz resolution or you can
          > get 1hz resolution by alternating the Mhz setting with the rest of
          > the digits.
          >
          > Especially for use with the SDR where 10 presets would be sufficient
          > to cover any band up to 20m, the joystick on the board is more than
          > sufficient to navigate up and down the band. Even programming in the
          > use of multiple bands shouldn't be that hard.
          >
          > I'm going to take a close look at using one of these on my setup. It
          > will take a little while to learn atmega programming but I'll be it
          > won't be too hard to set up a minimal program.
          >
          > tim ab0wr

        • kf4lmz
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
            Here is another source for the AVR Butterfly:

            http://www.smileymicros.com/

            73,
            Patrick KF4LMZ

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guenther <gbauer@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tim,
            >
            > where can you buy one of this AVR Butterfly kits on the Internet?
            >
            > tnx
            > Guenther VE2BHH
          • tg6124
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Guenther <gbauer@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tim,
              >
              > where can you buy one of this AVR Butterfly kits on the Internet?
              >
              > tnx
              > Guenther VE2BHH

              I did a google on "avr butterfly" and checked a few places. Digikey has
              about the cheapest base price but they can be a tad high on shipping so
              the totals may be about the same no matter where you get it. I would
              check Digikey and their shipping just in case. I've had very good luck
              with them in the past.

              tim ab0wr
            • Bill Meahan K8QN
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tg6124" <ab0wr@...> wrote:

                > I'm going to take a close look at using one of these on my setup. It
                > will take a little while to learn atmega programming but I'll be it
                > won't be too hard to set up a minimal program.
                >
                > tim ab0wr

                Hi, Tim. The full source for the Butterfly demo application is
                available here: http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/

                That includes all the code for handling the joystick, driving the LCD
                and even doing menus, which will handle the band selection and
                frequency segment. The code is all in ANSI C and can be compiled with
                the free GCC compiler.

                More info about the Butterfly (mostly from Assembler) is available
                here: http://www.dwelch.com/avr/

                Have fun!

                73 de K8QN "I'd do it myself, but I'm remarkably short of time for a
                retired guy."
              • Kees & Sandy
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                  The kits come out of the UK I believe. Newark offers qty discounts of a little bit. Maybe someone needs to do a group buy on those too ? They are handy little experimenter's items too, many projects, and I've thought of getting a couple. Is this taking on a life of it's own or what ? Tom look what you've done !!!

                  73 Kees K5BCQ

                  -- brainerd@... wrote:

                  On 1 Nov 2007 at 21:55, Guenther wrote:

                  > Hi Tim,
                  >
                  > where can you buy one of this AVR Butterfly kits on the Internet?
                  >
                  > tnx
                  > Guenther VE2BHH

                  It is available form Digikey for $21.28. Part number ATAVRBFLY-ND.

                  Dave - WB6DHW
                  <http://wb6dhw. com>

                • Kees & Sandy
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007

                    It does look like they have the best price and a group buy would amortize the individual shipping cost. The re-shipping would be much less, even including bubble mailers. I would even take that on .....it's got to be a much smaller qty than the Si570 s ....I think.

                    73 Kees K5BCQ

                    -- "tg6124" <ab0wr@...> wrote:

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Guenther <gbauer@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Tim,
                    >
                    > where can you buy one of this AVR Butterfly kits on the Internet?
                    >
                    > tnx
                    > Guenther VE2BHH

                    I did a google on "avr butterfly" and checked a few places. Digikey has
                    about the cheapest base price but they can be a tad high on shipping so
                    the totals may be about the same no matter where you get it. I would
                    check Digikey and their shipping just in case. I've had very good luck
                    with them in the past.

                    tim ab0wr

                  • Duncan Clark
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:

                      > The kits come out of the UK I believe.

                      So that's why Farnell UK charged £20 or ~$42 !!

                      Duncan
                      G4ELJ
                    • mupi@wirelessbeehive.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                        > The kits come out of the UK I believe. Newark offers qty discounts of a
                        > little bit. Maybe someone needs to do a group buy on those too ? They are
                        > handy little experimenter's items too, many projects, and I've thought of
                        > getting a couple. Is this taking on a life of it's own or what ? Tom look
                        > what you've done !!!
                        > 73 Kees K5BCQ

                        Newark has a qty discount, but they start about double the digikey price.
                        I have checked a couple of places, and digikey has the most stock, and
                        seem to be the best price, at about $22 ea. (Newark is $44 ea) I guess
                        the good thing is that if they are available in UK, then there should be
                        no problem with foreign orders? I did find a couple of resources
                        suggesting that the butterfly should be available around $20, but I didn't
                        find it anywhere for that.

                        I could probably coordinate a group buy for this, as long as the
                        quantities don't get out of hand like they did with the Si570. :) I
                        wonder with a 300 qty if we could order direct? But that's a different
                        issue entirely I guess. Off-hand, based on digikey's price, I would
                        probably target around $25 ea, shipped, for US, $1 more for foreign, but
                        I'd have to do more research. If there is sufficient interest at this
                        price point (25+) I will give it another look, including figuring out if I
                        can get a price break from someone...
                      • T Hoflich
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                          --- mupi@... wrote:

                          > > The kits come out of the UK I believe. Newark
                          > offers qty discounts of a
                          > > little bit. Maybe someone needs to do a group buy
                          > on those too ? They are
                          > > handy little experimenter's items too, many
                          > projects, and I've thought of
                          > > getting a couple. Is this taking on a life of it's
                          > own or what ? Tom look
                          > > what you've done !!!
                          > > 73 Kees K5BCQ
                          > >

                          > Newark has a qty discount, but they start about
                          > double the digikey price.
                          > I have checked a couple of places, and digikey has
                          > the most stock, and
                          > seem to be the best price, at about $22 ea. (Newark
                          > is $44 ea) I guess
                          > the good thing is that if they are available in UK,
                          > then there should be
                          > no problem with foreign orders? I did find a couple
                          > of resources
                          > suggesting that the butterfly should be available
                          > around $20, but I didn't
                          > find it anywhere for that.
                          >
                          > I could probably coordinate a group buy for this, as
                          > long as the
                          > quantities don't get out of hand like they did with
                          > the Si570. :) I
                          > wonder with a 300 qty if we could order direct? But
                          > that's a different
                          > issue entirely I guess. Off-hand, based on
                          > digikey's price, I would
                          > probably target around $25 ea, shipped, for US, $1
                          > more for foreign, but
                          > I'd have to do more research. If there is
                          > sufficient interest at this
                          > price point (25+) I will give it another look,
                          > including figuring out if I
                          > can get a price break from someone...

                          The butterfly keeps coming up and it is a neat board.
                          But, I wonder if anyone knows how to do I2C on it to
                          talk to the Si570?

                          Tom KM5H
                        • Leon
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                            > The butterfly keeps coming up and it is a neat board.
                            > But, I wonder if anyone knows how to do I2C on it to
                            > talk to the Si570?

                            The ATmega169 USI includes an I2C interface, a connector for it could be
                            added as the pads are provided.

                            Leon
                            --
                            Leon Heller
                            Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                              for the software ,there is also e basic compiler
                              it have e nice i2c routine in it
                              it is BASCOM-AVR from MCS electronics
                              jan pa0jrv

                            • mupi@wirelessbeehive.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 2, 2007
                                > The butterfly keeps coming up and it is a neat board.
                                > But, I wonder if anyone knows how to do I2C on it to
                                > talk to the Si570?
                                >
                                > Tom KM5H

                                I don't know this for sure, but I recall from my STAMP experience a
                                lifetime or so ago that it is pretty simple to bang out bits into an I2C
                                interface from most microcontrollers.

                                If this is the case, then it wouldn't be hard.

                                Somebody else mentioned that there is an I2C already there, this would
                                make it even easier.

                                I don't think it would be difficult to write an Si570/QSD/Softrock driver.
                                I'll look at this more closely over the next couple of days. If there is
                                interest, I can set up a Butterfly/SDR group and we can continue
                                discussions. ISTR that you can get the programming software to play with
                                without the hardware, and if this is the case, I will bang something
                                together. If I had the hardware... ;) I'm still willing to coordinate a
                                group buy if there is interest, but it certainly hasn't taken off.
                              • Kees & Sandy
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 3, 2007

                                  I was going to order a quantity of Butterfly Controllers for the local group and understand the problem with overseas shipping from DigiKey. I am more than happy to provide these at cost and use USPS at a few ounces for overseas shipping in a double bubble wrap envelope and a ring of cardboard around the Butterfly. Payment via PayPal. If that is acceptable, please contact me directly (offlist) and I'll put you in the queue.

                                  73 Kees K5BCQ

                                  -- "Bill Maxwell" <wrmaxwell@...> wrote:

                                  DigiKey orders tend to get very expensive from VK, due to their liking for courier shipping services.  We often find it prohibitive, unless orders are fairly large.

                                  Bill