Si580 Group buy Output levels, Temp Stability Options

  • mikecol2
    Message 1 of 60 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi Tom,

      Thanks so much for helping with the group buy of the Si570.

      I had a couple of comments on the order specification.

      The new group buy web page shows the LVDS phase noise performance but
      the parts you bought are the CMOS version. Not sure which way the
      group buy is going.

      My input would be to buy the 1st Option Code: B or N code which is the
      3.3V LVDS (High or Low OE not important to me). The spec sheet shows
      the LVDS phase noise performance which is excellent. The CMOS version
      probably isn't that great since the edge speeds are 1ns typical ( the
      LVDS and others is 350 ps max ). Also to get an indication of phase
      noise performance SI has an AN291 describing the Output Buffer
      Options. As shown in Figure 7 CMOS has the poorest jitter performance
      (translation to phase noise). The figure also shows that CML and
      LVPECL would offer the best phase noise performance. I would still
      choose LVDS because of it's ease of use, low power consumption, and
      very common standard in newer designs.

      One other consideration would be the 2nd Option Code. My choice would
      be The code B option which is 31.5ppm total stability (compared to the
      code A option which is 61.5ppm). Since we are using these for our
      radio frequency control, I think I would be worth an addition cost to
      get the higher stability. I don't know if you have priced the
      difference but it sure would be worth considering.

      As far a initial freq. I don't care that much. I like that most have
      wanted it to be for 20M (i.e. 56Mhz++). If I had to select (for my
      most used mode SSB) I would select 57Mhz. Of course there will be
      many opinions on this.

      Thanks for the consideration of LVDS output and high stability in the
      part selection.

      What do others think? Don't you want the better phase noise
      performance and stability??

      Thanks, Mike Collins KF4BQ
    • Leon
      Message 60 of 60 , Jan 10, 2008