Re: [softrock40] Si570 Boards

  • Clive Lorton
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
      Message
      May I order two boards please.

      Clive G8POC
    • Clive Lorton
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
        Message
        Opp's Sorry.
        That should be 2 boards and parts kits if they happen.
        Clive G8POC
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
          On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:

          > May I order two boards please.
          >
          > Clive G8POC

          I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I start accepting
          orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to the "For Sale"
          section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>
        • Clive Lorton
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
            Dave,
            I understand. Thanks for all your work, its appreciated

            Clive G8POC
            > On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:
            >

            >> May I order two boards please.
            >>
            >> Clive G8POC
            >
            > I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I
            > start accepting
            > orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to
            > the "For Sale"
            > section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.
            >
            > Dave - WB6DHW
            > <http://wb6dhw.com>
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
            > 06:01

          • k5nwa
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
              At 04:06 AM 11/1/2007, you wrote:

              On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:

              > May I order two boards please.
              >
              > Clive G8POC

              I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I start accepting
              orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to the "For Sale"
              section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.

              Dave - WB6DHW
              <http://wb6dhw.com>

              Do you accept checks or money orders? My PayPal account is still messed up and I can't use it.

              Cecil
              KD5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

            • brainerd@wildblue.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                On 1 Nov 2007 at 11:12, k5nwa wrote:

                > Do you accept checks or money orders? My PayPal account is still messed up and I can't use it.
                >
                > Cecil
                > KD5NWA
                > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                While I much prefer Paypal, I will accept a money order or check. If I don't
                know you(I consider I know you from the many posts) I may want to make
                sure a personal check clears before shipping.

                Dave - WB6DHW
                <http://wb6dhw>
              • Edson Pereira
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Dave,

                  If it is not too late, can you please sign me up for 5 boards?

                  73,

                  -- Edson, JF1AFN

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:

                  > Just posted the latest schematic and board layout. I added needed
                  pull-ups on the Si570
                  > SDA and SCL lines. Also cleaned up some of the silk screen. Please
                  let me know if I
                  > missed anything else. The plan is to order 200 boards tonight. It
                  takes 10 to 12 days to
                  > receive the boards. I will also have to order the parts.
                  > Once the boards are ordered, I will put the Paypal buttons up. It
                  will be $5(USA) or $6(DX)
                  > for the board only, or $8(USA) or $9(DX) for the board plus
                  parts(not including the Si570 and

                • brainerd@wildblue.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                    On 2 Nov 2007 at 0:05, Edson Pereira wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > If it is not too late, can you please sign me up for 5 boards?
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > -- Edson, JF1AFN

                    Not too late. Actually I am not yet keeping a list. I am ordering 200 boards and parts. If
                    that runs out, I will order more. I will ship in order of payment.

                    Dave - WB6DHW
                    <http://wb6dhw.com>
                  • Edson Pereira
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Hi Dave,

                      I didn't see a paypal button in your page for ordering the boards.
                      Will you accept paypal? Will you offer the parts (including the Si570)
                      as well?

                    • brainerd@wildblue.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                        On 2 Nov 2007 at 1:33, Edson Pereira wrote:

                        > Hi Dave,
                        >
                        > I didn't see a paypal button in your page for ordering the boards.
                        > Will you accept paypal? Will you offer the parts (including the Si570)
                        > as well?
                        >
                        > 73,

                        I much prefer Paypal. I will put the buttons up before I go to bed tonight. I just ordered the
                        boards. The parts kits will include everything but the Si570(there is a large group buy for
                        that).

                        Dave - WB6DHW
                        <http://wb6dhw.com>
                      • UA6LGO
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                          Hello to all SoftRock builders,

                          Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                          instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                          Is it critical change?

                          --
                          Best regards,
                          Sergei UA6LGO
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                            On 9 Dec 2007 at 18:01, UA6LGO wrote:

                            > Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                            >
                            > Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                            > instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                            > Is it critical change?
                            >
                            > --
                            > Best regards,
                            > Sergei UA6LGO
                            At 7 and 10 MHz, either will likely work. But, you will have to change the
                            number of turns to get the same inductance.

                            Dave - WB6DHW
                            <http://wb6dhw.com>
                          • k5nwa
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                              At 09:01 AM 12/9/2007, you wrote:

                              >Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                              >
                              >Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                              >instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                              >Is it critical change?
                              >
                              >--
                              >Best regards,
                              >Sergei UA6LGO

                              Red and yellow cores can be used at slightly different but
                              overlapping ranges, here is some information;

                              Red #2
                              Frequency range 250KHz to 10MHz (good to 30M)
                              stability 90 ppm
                              AL is higher that #6 cores so it takes fewer turns to arrive at the
                              same inductance.

                              Yellow #6 cores
                              Frequency range is 3MHz to 40MHz
                              stability 35 ppm
                              AL is lower than Red so it takes more wire turns to achieve the same
                              inductance as a red #2 core.

                              As you can see they both cover the 3MHz to 10 MHz range but because a
                              different AL value they need different number of turns.

                              The formula is Inductance in uH = (AL * (Turns^2))/1000

                              Here is a link to a site that has some useful information and more
                              important a piece of software that will let you calculate the number
                              of turns required in and inductor;

                              < http://kitsandparts.com/toroids.php >

                              Since those transformers in the Softrock constitute tuned circuits if
                              you substitute the cores with their range of compatibility you must
                              change the number of turns of all the windings. In substituting a red
                              core for a yellow core all the windings need to have fewer turns.

                              I have substituted the other way around in some cases because I like
                              to use the bigger cores so a few times when building a SoftRock I
                              have substituted a larger yellow core for a smaller red core and
                              changed the number of turns to compensate for the differences in the AL factor.

                              I hope this helps, the schematics of the SoftRocks have both the
                              number of turns and the desired inductance so plug the into the
                              calculator and the core type and it will tell you the number of turns
                              needed. On the input transformer the primary and secondary have the
                              same number of turns so you would adjust both number of turns together.

                              Cecil
                              K5NWA
                              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                            • jfteste
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                The is also an alternate and very useful software allowing to perform
                                such calculations : "Mini Ring Core Calculator" from DL5SWB
                                http://www.dl5swb.de/html/software_for_amateur_radio.htm

                                73,
                                Jeff
                                F5BCB

                                > Here is a link to a site that has some useful information and more
                                > important a piece of software that will let you calculate the number
                                > of turns required in and inductor;
                                >
                                > < http://kitsandparts.com/toroids.php >

                              • Arthur Clampitt
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 10, 2007
                                  On 9 Dec 2007 at 18:01, UA6LGO wrote:

                                  > > Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                                  > >
                                  > > Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                                  > > instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                                  > > Is it critical change?
                                  > >
                                  > > --
                                  > > Best regards,
                                  > > Sergei UA6LGO

                                  " At 7 and 10 MHz, either will likely work. But, you will have to change the
                                  number of turns to get the same inductance."

                                  But if you do substitute the red cores for the yellow cores, be aware that with the higher Al value of the red cores ( fewer turns for a given inductance) and the fact that there are no "part turns" with toroidal inductors , it may be more difficult to hit the required inductance , e.g if you want 800nH ( or whatever you are aiming for ) , x turns may give you 750nH and x+1 turns may give you 850nH , with the lower Al value of the yellow material you will need more turns , but the addition or subtraction of a single turn will change the total inductance by a smaller "step"

                                  Art VK2AEC