Si570 Boards

  • brainerd@wildblue.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
      Just posted the latest schematic and board layout. I added needed pull-ups on the Si570
      SDA and SCL lines. Also cleaned up some of the silk screen. Please let me know if I
      missed anything else. The plan is to order 200 boards tonight. It takes 10 to 12 days to
      receive the boards. I will also have to order the parts.
      Once the boards are ordered, I will put the Paypal buttons up. It will be $5(USA) or $6(DX)
      for the board only, or $8(USA) or $9(DX) for the board plus parts(not including the Si570 and
      sma connectors). Remember, you will have to add some kind of microprocessor or
      computer to control the Si570 to change frequencies.

      Dave - WB6DHW
      <http://wb6dhw.com>
    • John Payne
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
        Hi Dave:

        Please put me down for two board/parts kits.

        Thanks and 73

        John W4CEZ

        --
        "The real proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't come here."
      • mikecol2
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:

          > Just posted the latest schematic and board layout. I added needed
          pull-ups on the Si570
          > SDA and SCL lines. Also cleaned up some of the silk screen. Please
          let me know if I
          > missed anything else.
          > Dave - WB6DHW
          > <http://wb6dhw.com>

          Looks great Dave. If I had to make one comment on the layout I would
          try and move the top via of the SDA jumper on page one slightly to the
          left so the ground plane would make contact (in that center path) and
          allow the power return currents to flow directly from the Si570 up to
          the power supply area ( i.e. minimizing the overall cutout of the
          ground plane). Reducing the clear out area on either the SDA or power
          jumper would also do the same thing.

          At work I usually just let them put a small jumper in the output files
          to reduce the ground cutout areas :)

          Thanks for all the hard work!!

          Mike Collins KF4BQ
        • Jonsson, Ulf J UTRC
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
            Message
            Include me for one board. (or kit if that happens)

            Ulf

            KB1PON

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
              On 31 Oct 2007 at 20:31, mikecol2 wrote:

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:
              > >
              > > Just posted the latest schematic and board layout. I added needed
              > pull-ups on the Si570
              > > SDA and SCL lines. Also cleaned up some of the silk screen. Please
              > let me know if I
              > > missed anything else.
              > > Dave - WB6DHW
              > > <http://wb6dhw.com>
              > >
              > Looks great Dave. If I had to make one comment on the layout I would
              > try and move the top via of the SDA jumper on page one slightly to the
              > left so the ground plane would make contact (in that center path) and
              > allow the power return currents to flow directly from the Si570 up to
              > the power supply area ( i.e. minimizing the overall cutout of the
              > ground plane). Reducing the clear out area on either the SDA or power
              > jumper would also do the same thing.
              >
              > At work I usually just let them put a small jumper in the output files
              > to reduce the ground cutout areas :)
              >
              > Thanks for all the hard work!!
              >
              > Mike Collins KF4BQ

              Thanks. That was an easy change to make. Done.

              Dave - WB6DHW
              <http://wb6dhw.com>
            • Thomas
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                Hello Dave,
                I looked at the PDF-file of the layout and especially the
                silk screen.
                There seem to remain some labels (C5, C6, U1 and
                U3) on the pads of the according parts and
                I suggest to shift them out of the pads.

                73
                Thomas, DF7TV

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@... wrote:

                > On 31 Oct 2007 at 20:31, mikecol2 wrote:

                > Thanks. That was an easy change to make. Done.
                >
                > Dave - WB6DHW
                > <http://wb6dhw.com>

              • Thomas
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                  Hello Dave,
                  concerning the smd-component side there seems to be an isolated copper
                  island between C2 and C3 which perhaps is a result of an automated
                  filling process. Before you convert your final layout into the
                  production Gerber files I would delete such islands because they do
                  not contribute to shielding but may instead reduce it.

                  Concerning the connectors H1 to H4 I would use a bit more copper width
                  of the ring of their soldering pads -- this will allow easier
                  soldering and contribute to mechanical stability of these connectors.

                  73
                  Thomas, DF7TV

                • brainerd@wildblue.net
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 31, 2007
                    On 31 Oct 2007 at 22:25, Thomas wrote:

                    > Hello Dave,
                    > I looked at the PDF-file of the layout and especially the
                    > silk screen.
                    > There seem to remain some labels (C5, C6, U1 and
                    > U3) on the pads of the according parts and
                    > I suggest to shift them out of the pads.
                    >
                    > 73
                    > Thomas, DF7TV

                    Thanks, I will do that. That's why several sets of eyes are better than one.

                    Dave - WB6DHW
                    <http://wb6dhw.com>
                  • Clive Lorton
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                      Message
                      May I order two boards please.

                      Clive G8POC
                    • Clive Lorton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                        Message
                        Opp's Sorry.
                        That should be 2 boards and parts kits if they happen.
                        Clive G8POC
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                          On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:

                          > May I order two boards please.
                          >
                          > Clive G8POC

                          I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I start accepting
                          orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to the "For Sale"
                          section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.

                          Dave - WB6DHW
                          <http://wb6dhw.com>
                        • Clive Lorton
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                            Dave,
                            I understand. Thanks for all your work, its appreciated

                            Clive G8POC
                            > On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:
                            >

                            >> May I order two boards please.
                            >>
                            >> Clive G8POC
                            >
                            > I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I
                            > start accepting
                            > orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to
                            > the "For Sale"
                            > section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.
                            >
                            > Dave - WB6DHW
                            > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            > --
                            > 06:01

                          • k5nwa
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                              At 04:06 AM 11/1/2007, you wrote:

                              On 1 Nov 2007 at 8:37, Clive Lorton wrote:

                              > May I order two boards please.
                              >
                              > Clive G8POC

                              I will start accepting orders after I order the boards later today. When I start accepting
                              orders, I will move the Si570 board from the "Under Development" section to the "For Sale"
                              section of my Web Site. I will be ordering 200 boards initially.

                              Dave - WB6DHW
                              <http://wb6dhw.com>

                              Do you accept checks or money orders? My PayPal account is still messed up and I can't use it.

                              Cecil
                              KD5NWA
                              www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

                            • brainerd@wildblue.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                                On 1 Nov 2007 at 11:12, k5nwa wrote:

                                > Do you accept checks or money orders? My PayPal account is still messed up and I can't use it.
                                >
                                > Cecil
                                > KD5NWA
                                > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                                While I much prefer Paypal, I will accept a money order or check. If I don't
                                know you(I consider I know you from the many posts) I may want to make
                                sure a personal check clears before shipping.

                                Dave - WB6DHW
                                <http://wb6dhw>
                              • Edson Pereira
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                                  Dave,

                                  If it is not too late, can you please sign me up for 5 boards?

                                  73,

                                  -- Edson, JF1AFN

                                • brainerd@wildblue.net
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                                    On 2 Nov 2007 at 0:05, Edson Pereira wrote:

                                    > Dave,
                                    >
                                    > If it is not too late, can you please sign me up for 5 boards?
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    >
                                    > -- Edson, JF1AFN

                                    Not too late. Actually I am not yet keeping a list. I am ordering 200 boards and parts. If
                                    that runs out, I will order more. I will ship in order of payment.

                                    Dave - WB6DHW
                                    <http://wb6dhw.com>
                                  • Edson Pereira
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                                      Hi Dave,

                                      I didn't see a paypal button in your page for ordering the boards.
                                      Will you accept paypal? Will you offer the parts (including the Si570)
                                      as well?

                                      73,

                                      -- Edson, JF1AFN

                                    • brainerd@wildblue.net
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 1, 2007
                                        On 2 Nov 2007 at 1:33, Edson Pereira wrote:

                                        > Hi Dave,
                                        >
                                        > I didn't see a paypal button in your page for ordering the boards.
                                        > Will you accept paypal? Will you offer the parts (including the Si570)
                                        > as well?
                                        >
                                        > 73,

                                        I much prefer Paypal. I will put the buttons up before I go to bed tonight. I just ordered the
                                        boards. The parts kits will include everything but the Si570(there is a large group buy for
                                        that).

                                        Dave - WB6DHW
                                        <http://wb6dhw.com>
                                      • UA6LGO
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                          Hello to all SoftRock builders,

                                          Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                                          instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                                          Is it critical change?

                                          --
                                          Best regards,
                                          Sergei UA6LGO
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                            On 9 Dec 2007 at 18:01, UA6LGO wrote:

                                            > Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                                            >
                                            > Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                                            > instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                                            > Is it critical change?
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > Best regards,
                                            > Sergei UA6LGO
                                            At 7 and 10 MHz, either will likely work. But, you will have to change the
                                            number of turns to get the same inductance.

                                            Dave - WB6DHW
                                            <http://wb6dhw.com>
                                          • k5nwa
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                              At 09:01 AM 12/9/2007, you wrote:

                                              >Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                                              >
                                              >Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                                              >instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                                              >Is it critical change?
                                              >
                                              >--
                                              >Best regards,
                                              >Sergei UA6LGO

                                              Red and yellow cores can be used at slightly different but
                                              overlapping ranges, here is some information;

                                              Red #2
                                              Frequency range 250KHz to 10MHz (good to 30M)
                                              stability 90 ppm
                                              AL is higher that #6 cores so it takes fewer turns to arrive at the
                                              same inductance.

                                              Yellow #6 cores
                                              Frequency range is 3MHz to 40MHz
                                              stability 35 ppm
                                              AL is lower than Red so it takes more wire turns to achieve the same
                                              inductance as a red #2 core.

                                              As you can see they both cover the 3MHz to 10 MHz range but because a
                                              different AL value they need different number of turns.

                                              The formula is Inductance in uH = (AL * (Turns^2))/1000

                                              Here is a link to a site that has some useful information and more
                                              important a piece of software that will let you calculate the number
                                              of turns required in and inductor;

                                              < http://kitsandparts.com/toroids.php >

                                              Since those transformers in the Softrock constitute tuned circuits if
                                              you substitute the cores with their range of compatibility you must
                                              change the number of turns of all the windings. In substituting a red
                                              core for a yellow core all the windings need to have fewer turns.

                                              I have substituted the other way around in some cases because I like
                                              to use the bigger cores so a few times when building a SoftRock I
                                              have substituted a larger yellow core for a smaller red core and
                                              changed the number of turns to compensate for the differences in the AL factor.

                                              I hope this helps, the schematics of the SoftRocks have both the
                                              number of turns and the desired inductance so plug the into the
                                              calculator and the core type and it will tell you the number of turns
                                              needed. On the input transformer the primary and secondary have the
                                              same number of turns so you would adjust both number of turns together.

                                              Cecil
                                              K5NWA
                                              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                                            • jfteste
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 9, 2007
                                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                                The is also an alternate and very useful software allowing to perform
                                                such calculations : "Mini Ring Core Calculator" from DL5SWB
                                                http://www.dl5swb.de/html/software_for_amateur_radio.htm

                                                73,
                                                Jeff
                                                F5BCB

                                                > Here is a link to a site that has some useful information and more
                                                > important a piece of software that will let you calculate the number
                                                > of turns required in and inductor;
                                                >
                                                > < http://kitsandparts.com/toroids.php >

                                              • Arthur Clampitt
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 10, 2007
                                                  On 9 Dec 2007 at 18:01, UA6LGO wrote:

                                                  > > Hello to all SoftRock builders,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Can anybody explain me - is it possible to use T30-2/T37-2 (red) cores
                                                  > > instead of T30-6/T37-6 (yellow) ones in the SoftRock RXTXv6.2 40m_30m?
                                                  > > Is it critical change?
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --
                                                  > > Best regards,
                                                  > > Sergei UA6LGO

                                                  " At 7 and 10 MHz, either will likely work. But, you will have to change the
                                                  number of turns to get the same inductance."

                                                  But if you do substitute the red cores for the yellow cores, be aware that with the higher Al value of the red cores ( fewer turns for a given inductance) and the fact that there are no "part turns" with toroidal inductors , it may be more difficult to hit the required inductance , e.g if you want 800nH ( or whatever you are aiming for ) , x turns may give you 750nH and x+1 turns may give you 850nH , with the lower Al value of the yellow material you will need more turns , but the addition or subtraction of a single turn will change the total inductance by a smaller "step"

                                                  Art VK2AEC