So whats the possibilities for using something like this?

  • Garry
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 30, 2007
      So whats the possibilities for using something like this?
      I ran across this while searching for something else.. Looks to work
      to a high enough frequency to be usful for the lower bands and the
      price is right considering that it comes with a keypad for frequency
      input. The 10 khz min. tuning steps would not be an issue for the
      softrock I shouldn't think.

      http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,5355.htm

      Garry/Ve7ajj
    • Brad Thompson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
        At 01:30 AM 10/31/2007, Garry wrote:

        >So whats the possibilities for using something like this?
        >I ran across this while searching for something else.. Looks to work
        >to a high enough frequency to be usful for the lower bands and the
        >price is right considering that it comes with a keypad for frequency
        >input. The 10 khz min. tuning steps would not be an issue for the
        >softrock I shouldn't think.
        >
        ><http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,5355.htm>http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,5355.htm
        Hello--

        Here's another, similar kit that's $1.00 less and includes pointers
        to application notes for the PLL IC, plus more information:

        www.dckits.com/plls.htm

        Usual disclaimers apply.

        73--

        Brad AA1IP
      • trabem mebart
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
          Buy this one with caution-it is based on a very very
          old and extremely obsolete PLL chip that is extinct. I
          don't know if performance suffers due to the old
          technology parts, but you will likely NOT find a
          replacement chip if it goes belly up.

          Enjoy.

          --- Brad Thompson <brad.thompson@...> wrote:

          > At 01:30 AM 10/31/2007, Garry wrote:
          >
          > >So whats the possibilities for using something like
          > this?
          > >I ran across this while searching for something
          > else.. Looks to work
          > >to a high enough frequency to be usful for the
          > lower bands and the
          > >price is right considering that it comes with a
          > keypad for frequency
          > >input. The 10 khz min. tuning steps would not be an
          > issue for the
          > >softrock I shouldn't think.
          > >

          ><http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,5355.htm>http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,5355.htm
          > Hello--
          >
          > Here's another, similar kit that's $1.00 less and
          > includes pointers
          > to application notes for the PLL IC, plus more
          > information:
          >
          > www.dckits.com/plls.htm
          >
          > Usual disclaimers apply.
          >
          > 73--
          >
          > Brad AA1IP
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • RAY
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
            This very interesting but, there is an awful lot unsaid so it realyy depends on the specs that we can't see in the web page.  If it is a stable oscillator (with low jitter) ir probably would work.  We need to know more about it.

            73, Ray, N0FY

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, trabem mebart <ttrraabbeemm@...>
              wrote:

              > Buy this one with caution-it is based on a very very
              > old and extremely obsolete PLL chip that is extinct. I
              > don't know if performance suffers due to the old
              > technology parts, but you will likely NOT find a
              > replacement chip if it goes belly up.
              >
              > Enjoy.

              > > Here's another, similar kit that's $1.00 less and
              > > includes pointers
              > > to application notes for the PLL IC, plus more
              > > information:
              > >
              > > www.dckits.com/plls.htm
              > >
              > > 73--
              > >
              > > Brad AA1IP

              trabem is correct in that the MC145170 is obsolete. Motorola stopped
              production 2 or 3 years ago. The PLL design rights were transfered
              to an outfit in Arizona (I think Lansdale (?)) that specializes in
              building older IC's for the military or industry who may require a
              part and never mind the cost. They won't sell to you or me... at
              least not at a reasonable price or quantity.
              That said, the MC145170 was (is) an excelent part and anyone who can
              find one can build a really good synthesizer around it.
              OTOH, National builds better PLL's (better in that there is more
              stuff on the chip) and price is quite reasonable.

              73, Sid
              Oklahoma
            • Garry
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
                > > Buy this one with caution-it is based on a very very
                > > old and extremely obsolete PLL chip that is extinct. I
                > > don't know if performance suffers due to the old
                > > technology parts, but you will likely NOT find a
                > > replacement chip if it goes belly up.

                Well apparently Elecraft uses the MC145170 in the K2 and the chips are
                currently being made and marketed by Lansdale semiconductors (http://
                www.lansdale.com/part_search.php?search=MC145170&x=0&y=0).

                So I would say the fact that it is used in the K2 would be a good
                recommendation as far as stability and so on. As for the kit itself,
                information on it seems to be somewhat sketchy at best. It does appear
                somewhat intriguing though and it does not represent a significant
                investment.

                Garry/Ve7ajj
              • Garry
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
                  The plot thickens.

                  A little searching brought back this result that directly addresses
                  the DC Electronics kit and provides a way to program the MC145170 with
                  the computer. (we are using a computer to operate the softrock right?)

                  http://www.qsl.net/zl1wjq/

                  The software is even available -- whatta ya know.

                  This seems like the place to add the usual disclaimer such as I have
                  no pecuniary interests etc etc etc.

                  As I said in my earlier post I just happened to run accross this by
                  accident.

                  73

                  Garry/Ve7ajj

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Garry" <ve7ajj@...> wrote:

                  > > > Buy this one with caution-it is based on a very very
                  > > > old and extremely obsolete PLL chip that is extinct. I
                  > > > don't know if performance suffers due to the old
                  > > > technology parts, but you will likely NOT find a
                  > > > replacement chip if it goes belly up.
                  >
                  > Well apparently Elecraft uses the MC145170 in the K2 and the chips
                  are
                  > currently being made and marketed by Lansdale semiconductors (http://
                  > www.lansdale.com/part_search.php?search=MC145170&x=0&y=0).
                  >
                  > So I would say the fact that it is used in the K2 would be a good
                  > recommendation as far as stability and so on. As for the kit
                  itself,
                  > information on it seems to be somewhat sketchy at best. It does
                  appear
                  > somewhat intriguing though and it does not represent a significant
                  > investment.
                  >
                  > Garry/Ve7ajj

                • Art
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
                    In general, avoid single source chips, especially if the manufacturer
                    is not a major BIG name outfit. The K2 has been around for awhile, Im
                    sure a new design should not be using the MC145170.

                    GL to all.

                    Art

                  • mstangelo@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2007
                      PLL IC's, like DDS chips, are mostly single sourced today so it is difficult to find "commodity"  chips
                      that have multiple sources. The only PLL commodity chips that I can think that of is the CD4046 and 74HC4046 series.

                      The MC145170 is a good chip to experimant with but I would not use it for a future commercial design.

                      I expect the 4000 and 74xx of logic chips and IC's in DIP packages in to be extinct in 5 years

                      I guess that is what they call progress...

                      Mike N2MS

                      From: Art <KY1K@...>

                      > In general, avoid single source chips, especially if the manufacturer
                      > is not a major BIG name outfit. The K2 has been around for awhile, Im
                      > sure a new design should not be using the MC145170.
                      >
                      > GL to all.
                      >
                      > Art

                    • Michael Yancey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2007
                        Actually, I inquired at Lansdale and the ML145170 is a currently
                        available part.

                        But - bitter pill - minimum order is 435 parts.
                        A group buy might do it (Heh - if everyone took 4 parts each!),
                        or one could approach digikey/mouser/jameco about a buy and
                        have them absorb some of the extra parts... it would take some
                        dealing, but there ya go.

                        Mike Yancey
                        KM5Z
                        Dallas, Texas

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, mstangelo@... wrote:

                        > PLL IC's, like DDS chips, are mostly single sourced today so it is
                        difficult to find "commodity" chips
                        > that have multiple sources. The only PLL commodity chips that I can
                        think that of is the CD4046 and 74HC4046 series.

                        > The MC145170 is a good chip to experimant with but I would not use
                        it for a future commercial design.

                        > I expect the 4000 and 74xx of logic chips and IC's in DIP packages
                        in to be extinct in 5 years

                        > I guess that is what they call progress...
                        >
                        > Mike N2MS

                        > From: Art <KY1K@...>
                        >
                        > > In general, avoid single source chips, especially if the manufacturer
                        > > is not a major BIG name outfit. The K2 has been around for awhile, Im
                        > > sure a new design should not be using the MC145170.
                        > >
                        > > GL to all.
                        > >
                        > > Art

                      • Leon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2007
                          > Actually, I inquired at Lansdale and the ML145170 is a currently
                          > available part.
                          >
                          > But - bitter pill - minimum order is 435 parts.
                          > A group buy might do it (Heh - if everyone took 4 parts each!),
                          > or one could approach digikey/mouser/jameco about a buy and
                          > have them absorb some of the extra parts... it would take some
                          > dealing, but there ya go.

                          Much better devices are available from Nat Semi and ADI.

                          Leon
                          --
                          Leon Heller
                          Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2007
                            `
                            > Actually, I inquired at Lansdale and the ML145170 is a currently
                            > available part.
                            >
                            > But - bitter pill - minimum order is 435 parts.
                            > A group buy might do it (Heh - if everyone took 4 parts each!),
                            > or one could approach digikey/mouser/jameco about a buy and
                            > have them absorb some of the extra parts... it would take some
                            > dealing, but there ya go.

                            Much better devices are available from Nat Semi and ADI.

                            Leon
                            --
                            Leon Heller
                            Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
                            Yaesu FT-817ND and FT-857D transceivers
                            Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
                            leon355@...
                            http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

                            From Ray N0FY

                            Yes there are better devices but are they available with control circuitry and coding - ready for action ??  I think we have a lot of options but I don't think it is practical to approach all of them - better that we stick with a plan of action to benefit of all concerned.

                            73, Ray, N0FY
                          • brainerd@wildblue.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2007
                              On 1 Nov 2007 at 21:59, Leon wrote:

                              > Much better devices are available from Nat Semi and ADI.

                              True. But as far as I have seen, they are all in experimenter unfriendly
                              SSOP or smaller packages. If we could just talk Lansdale into putting up on-
                              line ordering like most "modern" electronics companies, they would sell a
                              bunch of ML145170's to hams since it is the only PLL left available in a DIP.

                              Dave - WB6DHW
                              <http://wb6dhw.com>