Re: Fw: Re: Fw: Re: [softrock40] Rocky and SR-40

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
      A doubler is created when you feed the signal into one pin of a XOR
      and a delayed version into the other pin, then what it really does is
      to detect edges on the input clock which for the right use doubles
      the frequency.

      That is not the case in this circuit, it tries to ensure that the
      input clock has a 50% duty cycle, then additional XOR gates provide a
      clock and inverted clock with equal delay so they stay synchronized.
      One clock clocks one FF and the opposite phase clocks the other, this
      makes to outputs of the FF's at 1X frequency but in Quadrature.

      The other day I mentioned using a 1X clock and feeding it into a MUX
      chip to generate 4 phases, the analog switch in this design, has a
      built in MUX. You don't enable each switch with a pin like in the
      SR-40 or the SR-5, you select one of four channels with two address
      pins to enable one at a time.

      Clever design, but not usable in the SR-40 without additional chips(
      a MUX chip) or a change in the Analog switch chip to one like the one
      used in this design which has a built in MUX, it would be usable in
      the SR-5 since it only uses two clocks not four like the SR-40 but
      you would need a 2X clock a disadvantage.

      At 07:46 PM 12/1/2005, you wrote:
      >Milt,
      >
      >Ahhh, didn't know about any RC network and yes you are right, that
      >would create a doubler ....but Dave said the XOR was in place of the
      >1st FF. If you use a XOR as a doubler with an RC network on one leg
      >you have anything BUT a 50% duty cycle waveform output and couldn't
      >eliminate the first FF. Maybe he uses a different FF and the XOR
      >output is for clocking only ? Have to look at that "....2001....."
      >circuit which was referenced.
      >
      >73 Kees K5BCQ
      >
      >w8nue@...>
      >To: <mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com>softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      >Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:47:00 -0600
      >Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [softrock40] Rocky and SR-40
      ><<mailto:20051201.171901.2264.12.windy10605@...>20051201.171901.2264.12.windy10605@...>
      >
      ><mailto:windy10605@...>windy10605@... wrote:
      >>OK !! it can be made to work OK. I notice the AD spec says 50% duty
      >>cycle +/-10% but I've never seen what it actually is across the
      >>frequency range. Some of the early info Alex published on Rocky
      >>shows a phase balance plot with around 12% and amplitude balance
      >>plot around 1.28. The typical comparator has both Q and
      >>Q(compliment) outputs so you probably don't need the XOR.
      >>
      >>73 Kees K5BCQ
      >Kees,
      >
      >I believe that the XOR is used as a frequency doubler. (If it has
      >an RC filter on one input--this causes an ouput pulse on both the
      >rising and falling edges of the input signal--i.e. at twice the
      >frequency of the input)
      >
      >Milt W8NUE

      > *
      >

      >----------

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      "I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
      same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
      only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
        The only purpose of the XOR gate in question is to square up the clock
        signal to a 50% duty cycle so you don't need to have another divide by 2
        flip-flop do that for you. So the circuit works with a 2X clock instead
        of a 4X clock. (E.g. the SoftRock 40 requires a 4X clock.)

        The XOR gate uses that RC network to sample some of the output and then
        filter it with the capacitor. This DC voltage is then sent to the input
        of the gate to adjust the biasing. Since it is a positive feedback
        system, the bias adjusts itself until the output waveform has a 50 %
        duty cycle square wave. (BTW the circuit will oscillate if the drive is
        removed from the XOR gate.) (This can also be done with a couple of
        NAND or NOR gates as well. All you need is a positive feedback line.)

        Bill WB5TCO

      • Philip Covington
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hi Phil,

          Good deal, sounds great! I am curious what sampling rate you were
          running the Wolfson chip at and whether your were doing both channels
          or just one for now? Also, what did you decide on for synchronization
          of the audio frames between left and right channels?

          73 de Phil N8VB

          On 12/1/05, pvharman@... <pvharman@...> wrote:
          > Fellow Xyloeans,
          >
          > Last night I managed to get audio from the Wolfson A/D, via the FPGA and FX2
          >
          > over the USB2 at 480Mbps to the PC and out over PortAudio to the speakers.
          >
          > For some reason PortAudio would hang after a few seconds but it was late at
          > night and not the time to start debugging.
          >
          > Having spent some time looking at VHDL I decided to start learning Verilog
          > instead which proved to have a much shorter learning curve. I am just
          > delighted with the Xylo board and how easy it is to program with the free
          > Quartus II software.
          >
          > Next step is to fix the PortAudio bug and get it integrated into the SDR1000
          > software.
          >
          > 73's Phil...VK6APH

          Philip A Covington
          http://www.philcovington.com
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
            I described a doubler and said that circuit is not one, but it's
            purpose is to insure 50% duty cycle on the clock. Then I proceeded to
            describe the rest of the circuit.

            I fail to see where we disagree.

          • brainerd@bmi.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
              The output of the XOR gate is definitely NOT at 50%. You get a short pulse on the
              the rising and falling edges of the input clock. The output is only used to clock a 2 FF
              counter.

              Dave - WB6DHW

            • David Brainerd
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                It appears I was confused on how that (the QRP2001) circuit works.
                After looking at it on my scope, it does produce an approx. 50% duty
                cycle. The R-C feedback in the first XOR biases the input at the
                midpoint. The sinewave input is then converted to a squarewave
                because of the very high gain of the XOR. I was confused between that
                circuit and the XOR doubler which uses both inputs.
                The circuit does, however, work quite well with the SDR and the
                Rocky software.

                Dave - WB6DHW

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, brainerd@b... wrote:

> [...]
                > > > SR-40 or the SR-5, you select one of four channels with two address
                > > > pins to enable one at a time.
                > > >
                > > > Clever design, but not usable in the SR-40 without additional chips(
                > > > a MUX chip) or a change in the Analog switch chip to one like
                the one
                > > > used in this design which has a built in MUX, it would be usable in
                > > > the SR-5 since it only uses two clocks not four like the SR-40 but
                > > > you would need a 2X clock a disadvantage.

                ><<mailto:20051201.171901.2264.12.windy10605@j...>20051201.171901.2264.12.windy10605@j...>

                > > > Cecil Bayona
                > > > KD5NWA
                > > > www.qrpradio.com
                > > >
                > > > "I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and
                getting the
                > > > same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
                > > > only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this

              • n7ve
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Actgually, the first XOR gate is simply a squaring circuit. The
                  negative feedback via the R/C simply biases the input to the on/off
                  threshold of the gate.

                  This entire circuit only works if the input has a 50% duty cycle such
                  as a good sinewave. If the input is not symetrical, the output will
                  not be symetrical and the circuit will not work as intended.

                  This is what they mean that this replaced the first flip flop. If you
                  think of the clock circuit as two divide by two in series (not the
                  best implementation for our phase shifted clocks), the purpose of the
                  first divide by 2 is to square up the signal. If it is already
                  symetrical, you could in theory skip the first divide by 2.

                  The next two XORs are configured as an inverter and a non-inverter
                  giving a non-inverted 2x clock and an inverted 2x clock. These two
                  clocks feed a divide by two and the other a phase shifted version of
                  that divide by two output.

                  It is a nice circuit. I think it could be quite useful following a
                  good sinewave source like a well designed crystal oscillator could
                  produce. I am not sure that a DDS output is quite as symetrical, so
                  it might not work quite as well unless the DDS output is properly low
                  pass filtered for the frequency of interest.

                  - Dan, N7VE
                • pvharman@arach.net.au
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Hi Phil,

                    I used 48kbps and 16 bit samples to keep things simple for the first test. I
                    also just used the left audio channel and the blocking version of the
                    PortAudio code - again a simple first test.

                    I was looking at using one of the 2^n A/D states as a flag to indicate the
                    next data word is say left. Having looked at the output of the Wolfson chip
                    even with the input shorted you rarely see 0x0000 as data. With a bit of band
                    noise we will be well above the zero threshold.

                    So I am going to start with

                    <0x0000><Left_data><Right_data><0x0000><Left_data><Right_data> etc

                    Since data delivery using Bulk mode under USB2 is guaranteed I think that
                    should be sufficient and the loss in dynamic range acceptable in practice.

                    Bill suggested that we may not need to send the 0x0000 sync character as often
                    as shown above given the reliability of the USB2 connection and I will try
                    reducing its frequency once the above is working.

                    I was also thinking of not bothering with testing under PortAudio but going
                    straight to a PWM D/A converter in the FPGA for the Rx audio. That way I
                    achieve my goal of removing the sound card and all the Windows drivers -
                    reading and writing to the Wolfson and D/A's will take but a few lines of code
                    then.

                    Rather than a second A/D converter chip for the mic I was also going to look
                    at using a PWM ramp feeding one input of a comparator and the mic signal the
                    other. It may have no advantage over a single chip A/D, given the low cost of
                    these nowadays, but a fun exercise anyway.

                    I only wish that I had time years ago to lean to use FPGAs, they sure open a
                    whole world of possibilities!

                    73’s Phil… VK6APH

                    Quoting Philip Covington <p.covington@...>:

                    > Hi Phil,
                    >
                    > Good deal, sounds great! I am curious what sampling rate you were
                    > running the Wolfson chip at and whether your were doing both channels
                    > or just one for now? Also, what did you decide on for synchronization
                    > of the audio frames between left and right channels?
                    >
                    > 73 de Phil N8VB
                    >
                    > On 12/1/05, pvharman@... <pvharman@...> wrote:
                    > > Fellow Xyloeans,
                    > >
                    > > Last night I managed to get audio from the Wolfson A/D, via the FPGA and
                    > FX2
                    > >
                    > > over the USB2 at 480Mbps to the PC and out over PortAudio to the speakers.
                    > >
                    > > For some reason PortAudio would hang after a few seconds but it was late
                    > at
                    > > night and not the time to start debugging.
                    > >
                    > > Having spent some time looking at VHDL I decided to start learning Verilog
                    > > instead which proved to have a much shorter learning curve. I am just
                    > > delighted with the Xylo board and how easy it is to program with the free
                    > > Quartus II software.
                    > >
                    > > Next step is to fix the PortAudio bug and get it integrated into the
                    > SDR1000
                    > > software.
                    > >
                    > > 73's Phil...VK6APH

                    > --
                    > Philip A Covington
                    > http://www.philcovington.com

                  • Lyle Johnson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                      > Rather than a second A/D converter chip for the mic I was also going to look
                      > at using a PWM ramp feeding one input of a comparator and the mic signal the
                      > other. It may have no advantage over a single chip A/D, given the low cost of
                      > these nowadays, but a fun exercise anyway.

                      Have you examined the material at this link?

                      <http://www.microtelecom.it/digimit/techart.htm>

                      73,

                      Lyle KK7P
                    • Lyle Johnson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
                        > ...I am not sure that a DDS output is quite as symetrical, so
                        > it might not work quite as well unless the DDS output is properly low
                        > pass filtered for the frequency of interest.

                        This is missed in most implementations. A low pass filter for the
                        highest output frequency is constructed, so the signal becomes less pure
                        as the frequency of the DDS is lowered. After all, a low pass filter at
                        30 MHz won't suppress any components below that, so an LO for 80 meters
                        has plenty of opportunity for spectral junk.

                        I suspect 1/2 octave filters would work pretty well in a continuous
                        coverage application, otherwise bandpass filters for the band of
                        interest would probably work very well as long as the band if interest
                        is not too wide.

                        73,

                        Lyle KK7P