Re: [softrock40] Re: AMD free chips

  • brainerd@bmi.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
      QST and QEX had an article a few years back on a power meter using the 8307. I
      built the one in QEX. Works really great. Calibrated digital readout up to 400 -
      500MHz. I have done relative readings at 1000 + MHz.
      Also, check out the 120 dB measurement circuit in the 8307 data sheet.

      Dave - WB6DHW

      On 1 Dec 2005 at 14:28, vu3wjm wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > Try Kikad here too good for free
      >
      > http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
      >
      > BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
      > would like to put them to good use.
      >
      > 73

    • FRANCIS CARCIA
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
        Check out "expressPCB".  They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
        for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers.  gfz

        David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
        > What software did you use to layout the board?

        I use Eagle for all schematic capture and layout I do.

        > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
        > going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
        > own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
        > EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
        > create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
        > major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
        > sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
        > have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.

        I had to do a lot of manual routing as Eagle seems to have little
        idea of single point grounding, ground loops, etc.  But, for a little
        board like this, it wasn't too bad.  I'm sure the next one will be easier.

        > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
        > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
        > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
        > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.

        I've tried a few different programs and I found many of them to be
        either impossible to use without way too much time invested in learning
        them or to be so limited in features as to be almost useless.  Eagle
        seemed to be a good combination.  I do have the commercial version of
        Eagle, so I'm not limited to the tiny default board size though it
        would have been completely sufficient for this board.  With 1208
        parts and other SMT parts, you can stuff a lot on the board.

        > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
        > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
        > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

        Use whatever you like and which lets you get work done! :)

        Cheers,
        David n0ymv

      • Bill Dumke
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
          I believe the SoftRock 40 PCB was done that way, and I am impressed with
          the quality of the PCB.

          Bill WB5TCO

        • David Willmore
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
            > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
            > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz

            My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
            them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
            gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
            in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
            layouts with it!

            Cheers,
            David n0ymv
          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
              You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
              They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
              tools.

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:
                > > David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
                > > > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                > > > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz
                > >
                > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                > > layouts with it!
                >
                > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
                > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
                > tools.

                Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                not acceptable to me.

                Cheers,
                David
              • Phil Covington
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Willmore <willmore@o...> wrote:

                  > (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                  > > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@s...> wrote:
                  around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a
                  credit card number. High quality stuff
                  All happy customers. gfz

                  > > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                  > > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                  > > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                  > > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                  > > > layouts with it!
                  > >
                  > > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept
                  Gerber files.
                  > > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without
                  high power
                  > > tools.
                  >
                  > Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                  > will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                  > generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                  > not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                  > not acceptable to me.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > David

                  I think that you can purchase the gerber files from ExpressPCB for $50
                  or $60...

                  Better to use an open source EDA package like gEDA or Kicad. I use
                  Kicad with the PCBExpress service with no problems.

                  73 de Phil N8VB
                • FRANCIS CARCIA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 7, 2005
                    Still better than nothing. I have never heard anyone complain about their price or product and we have used them a lot at work.