Re: [softrock40] Rocky and SR-40

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
      I've been working on a different way of generating a Quadrature clock
      for the SR-5 without having to change components over a wide
      frequency range. So far on Spice I can get very close to 90 degree
      (within +-4 degrees) quadrature from 3.5MHz to 29.5 MHz without any
      component changes. But this is a Spice simulation, sometimes reality
      hits you on the head.

      I will need to wire it up and see if it really works, I'll order the
      components in the next day or two. It is not a major component change
      compared to the present way so there are no additional chips to put
      in. But a -5 Volt supply is needed at very little current.

      Where it might get in trouble is if the oscillator does not put out a
      sine wave, which is not a problem if you are using a DDS board to
      generate the clock.

      At 11:43 AM 12/1/2005, you wrote:
      >Just thinking again............
      >
      >Since the Rocky program compensates for and corrects phase and amplitude
      >errors, has anyone tried to see if it's sufficient to where you can
      >remove the first divide by 2 FF ahead of the Tayloe detector (which was
      >in there to "guarantee" a 50% duty cycle for proper quadrature) ? That
      >would double your DDS range.
      >
      >73 Kees K5BCQ
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
      same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
      only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...
    • Michael Blake
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
        And even more importantly (to me) what about the QXE board.  I am really anxious Tony :-)

        73 - Mike - K9JRI

        "James E. Gutshall" <jeg@...> wrote:
        Does any one know the shipping status of the softrock 5.0 kits?

      • brainerd@bmi.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
          I have a Tayloe Detector board that uses an exclusice OR in place of the first FF.
          When fed with one output of the IQ VFO (a AD9854), works great with SDR software
          and Rocky at 2X freq. Can get opposite sideband supression of 55 - 60 db.

          Dave - WB6DHW

          On 1 Dec 2005 at 11:43, windy10605@... wrote:

          > Just thinking again............
          >
          > Since the Rocky program compensates for and corrects phase and amplitude
          > errors, has anyone tried to see if it's sufficient to where you can
          > remove the first divide by 2 FF ahead of the Tayloe detector (which was
          > in there to "guarantee" a 50% duty cycle for proper quadrature) ? That
          > would double your DDS range.
          >
          > 73 Kees K5BCQ
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bill Dumke
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2005
            Is the Exclusive OR to correct the duty cycle like with the QRP-2001?

            Bill WB5TCO