Re: [softrock40] AMD free chips

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005

      >LT Spice I believe is from Linear Technologies not Analog Devices,

      Correct, my error.

      GL.

      Art
    • vu3wjm
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi!

        Try Kikad here too good for free

        http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

        BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
        would like to put them to good use.

        73

        Rahul VU3WJM

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@c...> wrote:

        > What software did you use to layout the board?
        >
        > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that
        was
        > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most
        with
        > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have
        played
        > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are
        bigger
        > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.
        >
        > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw
        in
        > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
        > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > SNIP

      • David Willmore
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
          Rahul,

          > BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
          > would like to put them to good use.

          Well, then, order a DDS-60 for each of the DDS chips. For the
          9850's, order up the LPF parts from the original DDS board and,
          while you're at it, order up a 100MHz metal can oscillator
          module for each one, too. :)

          The DDS-60 should work just fine with a 9850 and the older
          LPF values. If you use the supplied 30MHz oscillator,
          you're going to need even lower LPF values (larger values,
          actually) and it'll only output up to 10MHz, but there's a
          lot of HF spectra below 10MHz. :)

          Hey, thinking of it, has anyone tried to hook up a DDS-60
          as the 4x clock source to a SoftRock? That should give you
          up to 20M coverage. :)

          Cheers,
          David n0ymv
        • brainerd@bmi.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
            QST and QEX had an article a few years back on a power meter using the 8307. I
            built the one in QEX. Works really great. Calibrated digital readout up to 400 -
            500MHz. I have done relative readings at 1000 + MHz.
            Also, check out the 120 dB measurement circuit in the 8307 data sheet.

            Dave - WB6DHW

            On 1 Dec 2005 at 14:28, vu3wjm wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > Try Kikad here too good for free
            >
            > http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
            >
            > BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
            > would like to put them to good use.
            >
            > 73

          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
              Check out "expressPCB".  They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
              for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers.  gfz

              David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
              > What software did you use to layout the board?

              I use Eagle for all schematic capture and layout I do.

              > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
              > going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
              > own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
              > EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
              > create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
              > major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
              > sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
              > have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.

              I had to do a lot of manual routing as Eagle seems to have little
              idea of single point grounding, ground loops, etc.  But, for a little
              board like this, it wasn't too bad.  I'm sure the next one will be easier.

              > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
              > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
              > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
              > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.

              I've tried a few different programs and I found many of them to be
              either impossible to use without way too much time invested in learning
              them or to be so limited in features as to be almost useless.  Eagle
              seemed to be a good combination.  I do have the commercial version of
              Eagle, so I'm not limited to the tiny default board size though it
              would have been completely sufficient for this board.  With 1208
              parts and other SMT parts, you can stuff a lot on the board.

              > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
              > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
              > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

              Use whatever you like and which lets you get work done! :)

              Cheers,
              David n0ymv

            • Bill Dumke
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
                I believe the SoftRock 40 PCB was done that way, and I am impressed with
                the quality of the PCB.

                Bill WB5TCO

              • David Willmore
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
                  > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                  > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz

                  My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                  them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                  gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                  in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                  layouts with it!

                  Cheers,
                  David n0ymv
                • FRANCIS CARCIA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
                    You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
                    They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
                    tools.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                      (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                      > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:
                      > > David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
                      > > > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                      > > > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz
                      > >
                      > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                      > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                      > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                      > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                      > > layouts with it!
                      >
                      > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
                      > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
                      > tools.

                      Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                      will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                      generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                      not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                      not acceptable to me.

                      Cheers,
                      David
                    • Phil Covington
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Willmore <willmore@o...> wrote:

                        > (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                        > > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@s...> wrote:
                        around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a
                        credit card number. High quality stuff
                        All happy customers. gfz

                        > > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                        > > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                        > > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                        > > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                        > > > layouts with it!
                        > >
                        > > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept
                        Gerber files.
                        > > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without
                        high power
                        > > tools.
                        >
                        > Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                        > will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                        > generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                        > not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                        > not acceptable to me.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > David

                        I think that you can purchase the gerber files from ExpressPCB for $50
                        or $60...

                        Better to use an open source EDA package like gEDA or Kicad. I use
                        Kicad with the PCBExpress service with no problems.

                        73 de Phil N8VB
                      • FRANCIS CARCIA
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 7, 2005
                          Still better than nothing. I have never heard anyone complain about their price or product and we have used them a lot at work.