Crystals

  • jan.rorive
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hi All

      Today I received my 30/40 Kit (Many tanks to Tony for the very fast
      deliver!!) I ordered the 28.06. 28.224 and 40.5 MHz crystals. Can
      anyone explain me when to use which crystal and the jumper settings?

      I will start building tonight and you will hear from me, either on the
      forum when I am facing problems or at the bands.

      Thanks

      Jan PA3GGZ
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 23, 2007
        Hi Jan,

        For the 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit all crystals are four times the desired center frequencies.  Thus the JP1 jumper location needs to have the 4x holes bridged by an added wire.

        The cystal supplied with the kit give 40m center frequencies of about 7.014 MHz and 7.055 MHz.  If you are using a soundcard that samples at 48 kHz the band coverage will be from 7.0 MHz to about 7.075 MHz for both transmit and receive by switching between the two crystals.  The 40.5 MHz crystal provides a 30m center frequency of about 10.124 MHz and band coverage will be from about 10.104 MHz to about 10.144 MHz.

        Thanks for the kit order and I hope the kit build goes well for you.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007
          Tony,

          I will be starting assembly of my RXTX6.2 40/30 this weekend and I
          also had a question about the crystal situation. My kit came with
          three crystals, but there are only two mounting locations on the PCB.
          This is probably obvious, but would I need to install machine pins in
          one of the xtal sockets and plug in the desired 40m xtal as needed?

          The Builder's Notes suggest installing the SMT ICs last due to ESD
          concerns. Part of the reason I got this kit was to try the hot air,
          hot plate solder paste method of soldering SMT devices. So, I will
          take the gamble of installing the SMT ICs along with the SMT caps. I
          will be using a grounded-tip soldering iron for the through-hole
          parts and take other ESD precautions. I hope luck is with me!

          Jim K6JF

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jan,
          >
          > For the 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit all crystals are four times the
          desired center frequencies. Thus the JP1 jumper location needs to
          have the 4x holes bridged by an added wire.

          > The cystal supplied with the kit give 40m center frequencies of
          about 7.014 MHz and 7.055 MHz. If you are using a soundcard that
          samples at 48 kHz the band coverage will be from 7.0 MHz to about
          7.075 MHz for both transmit and receive by switching between the two
          crystals. The 40.5 MHz crystal provides a 30m center frequency of
          about 10.124 MHz and band coverage will be from about 10.104 MHz to
          about 10.144 MHz.

          > Thanks for the kit order and I hope the kit build goes well for you.
          >
          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007

            Hi Jim,

            The three crystals shipped with your 40m/30m kit give you several options as to which pair you mount on the board or as you suggest you could use machine pins in one of the locations.

            Doing all SMT parts at one time makes good sense when using the soldering method you list below along with ESD precautions as you finish the kit build.  I think a number of kits have been built that way.

            Hope you have some fun building the kit and using the little SDR transceiver.

            73,

            Tony KB9YIG

            I will be starting assembly of my RXTX6.2 40/30 this weekend and I
            also had a question about the crystal situation. My kit came with
            three crystals, but there are only two mounting locations on the PCB.
            This is probably obvious, but would I need to install machine pins in
            one of the xtal sockets and plug in the desired 40m xtal as needed?

            The Builder's Notes suggest installing the SMT ICs last due to ESD
            concerns. Part of the reason I got this kit was to try the hot air,
            hot plate solder paste method of soldering SMT devices. So, I will
            take the gamble of installing the SMT ICs along with the SMT caps. I
            will be using a grounded-tip soldering iron for the through-hole
            parts and take other ESD precautions. I hope luck is with me!

            Jim K6JF

            --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@... > wrote:

            > Hi Jan,
            >
            > For the 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit all crystals are four times the
            desired center frequencies. Thus the JP1 jumper location needs to
            have the 4x holes bridged by an added wire.

            > The cystal supplied with the kit give 40m center frequencies of
            about 7.014 MHz and 7.055 MHz. If you are using a soundcard that
            samples at 48 kHz the band coverage will be from 7.0 MHz to about
            7.075 MHz for both transmit and receive by switching between the two
            crystals. The 40.5 MHz crystal provides a 30m center frequency of
            about 10.124 MHz and band coverage will be from about 10.104 MHz to
            about 10.144 MHz.

            > Thanks for the kit order and I hope the kit build goes well for you.
            >
            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • Bruce Conner
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 22, 2007
              >This is probably obvious, but would I need to install machine pins in
              >one of the xtal sockets and plug in the desired 40m xtal as needed?

              I used machine pins for both locations and have had excellent results.
              I even added a SPDT switch (with short leads) to to the jumper and that
              works FB as well. I swiped a 3 pin molex connector with leads out of an
              old computer and rigged the switch to that so I could disconnect it from
              the header easily if I wanted. There may be a little frequency change
              with the added wiring, but as long as it's stable, it seems to be OK, I
              have no noticeable drift. Just adjust your center frequency in the
              software accordingly (it's never right on the money anyway)

              You will love that little rig, it's simply amazing how well it works.

              Bruce
              WB8OGK
            • nels_58701
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2008
                Can someone tell me the frequency of the following two crystals.

                28.2C69

                28.6C68

                Thanks

                73