AMD free chips

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
      I just received confirmation from AMD that on Dec 6 2005 I should be
      receiving 2 AD9851 DDS chips to go into two DDS-60 boards from AMQRP
      Club that I purchased for use with SDR projects. The chips are free
      samples from AMD, free is good.

      Next time two AD9954 samples.

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      "With God as my witness, I swear I thought turkeys could fly." --
      Arthur C. "Big Guy" Carlson
    • David Willmore
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
        > I just received confirmation from AMD that on Dec 6 2005 I should be
        > receiving 2 AD9851 DDS chips to go into two DDS-60 boards from AMQRP
        > Club that I purchased for use with SDR projects. The chips are free
        > samples from AMD, free is good.
        >
        > Next time two AD9954 samples.

        You scared me there for a second with that title. It should
        read "AD free chips". AMD is Advanced Micro Devices--manufacturer
        of my favorite desktop CPUs. AD is Analog Devices--manufacturer
        of our favority DDS chips. :)

        I hope you like your DDS-60! The last rev of the board with the
        well labeled test points really looks nice, IMHO--but I'm very
        biased as I did the layout. :)

        Cheers,
        David n0ymv
      • Michael Harnage
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
          Hi Cecil,

          Hope you have better luck than I did. Mine shipped two
          weeks ago but the box turned up empty in the Baltimore
          hub, damaged and empty. Have to reorder. Reminds me
          why I don't like brown. :)

          -mike/w1mt

          --- KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

          > I just received confirmation from AMD that on Dec 6
          > 2005 I should be
          > receiving 2 AD9851 DDS chips to go into two DDS-60
          > boards from AMQRP
          > Club that I purchased for use with SDR projects. The
          > chips are free
          > samples from AMD, free is good.
          >
          > Next time two AD9954 samples.
          >

          > Cecil Bayona
          > KD5NWA
          > www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "With God as my witness, I swear I thought turkeys
          > could fly." --
          > Arthur C. "Big Guy" Carlson

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
            What software did you use to layout the board?

            I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
            going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
            own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
            EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
            create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
            major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
            sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
            have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.

            There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
            a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
            a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
            than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.

            Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
            your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
            limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

            Thanks

            SNIP

            >I hope you like your DDS-60! The last rev of the board with the
            >well labeled test points really looks nice, IMHO--but I'm very
            >biased as I did the layout. :)
            >
            >Cheers,
            >David n0ymv

            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            "Windows the most successful software virus ever"
          • David H. Martin
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
              Yeah, the birdbrain in the brown truck couldn't even find my street the other day, even though they've delivered here a dozen times this year.  Guess they don't have maps.  However they were good enough to call that night for directions, and left the package on the porch unannounced the next day.  It was obviously walked upon and had been scraped across the floor, picking up lots of black stuff.  They're pretty bad sometimes.  I specify another carrier whenever possible.

              Dave  W5DHM

              --- KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

              > I just received confirmation from AMD that on Dec 6
              > 2005 I should be
              > receiving 2 AD9851 DDS chips to go into two DDS-60
              > boards from AMQRP
              > Club that I purchased for use with SDR projects. The
              > chips are free
              > samples from AMD, free is good.
              >
              > Next time two AD9954 samples.
              >

              > Cecil Bayona
              > KD5NWA
              > www.qrpradio.com
              >
              > "With God as my witness, I swear I thought turkeys
              > could fly." --
              > Arthur C. "Big Guy" Carlson

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • KY1K
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
                Cecil,

                Without a doubt, use LTSpice from www.analog.com for simulations and
                schematic drawing.

                If you need a PCB, use the free express pcb software, free from their
                website. It has no size limitation and gives you the cost of the
                board(s) on the fly as well as submitting it via the internet.

                I had Cadence PSpice and their pcb software available from a friend
                with the commercial version, and found all the features offered by
                the high priced software weren't needed and it was not worth the time
                it would take to become proficient with it.

                Your mileage may vary.

                Regards,

                Art

                At 04:16 PM 11/30/2005, you wrote:

                >What software did you use to layout the board?
                >
                >I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
                >going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
                >own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
                >EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
                >create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
                >major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
                >sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
                >have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.
                >
                >There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
                >a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
                >a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
                >than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.
                >
                >Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
                >your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
                >limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.
                >
                >Thanks
                >
                >SNIP
                >
                > >I hope you like your DDS-60! The last rev of the board with the
                > >well labeled test points really looks nice, IMHO--but I'm very
                > >biased as I did the layout. :)
                > >
                > >Cheers,
                > >David n0ymv
                > >

                >Cecil Bayona
                >KD5NWA
                >www.qrpradio.com
                >
                >"Windows the most successful software virus ever"
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Leon Heller
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
                  > What software did you use to layout the board?
                  >
                  > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
                  > going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
                  > own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
                  > EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
                  > create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
                  > major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
                  > sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
                  > have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.
                  >
                  > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
                  > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
                  > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
                  > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.
                  >
                  > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
                  > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
                  > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

                  The Pulsonix software I use is excellent, it is a professional product with
                  a corresponding high price:

                  http://www.pulsonix.com

                  I used Easy-PC (more suitable for hobbyists) for many years:

                  http://www.numberone.com

                  Leon

                  ---
                  [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
                  to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
                  currently using to read this email. ]
                • KD5NWA
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
                    Aha! I should have added that I make my own boards when possible, so
                    how does that fit in with Express PCB software, and what will happen
                    if I don't want to use them, but use someone else ? Does their
                    package autoroute?

                    As far as Spice is concerned I already own a fine package that is
                    fully featured and has no quirks, so I don't see a whole lot of
                    reasons to change, I have several thousands parts and a part
                    librarian to create parts from scratch or from working circuits.

                    LT Spice I believe is from Linear Technologies not Analog Devices, I
                    have a copy installed in my main home PC and I played with it the
                    other day and I liked it, not bad for a freebie. I'm having problem
                    finding more that raw basic parts in it. I just joined their Yahoo
                    group, they seem a active bunch, 70 new members in the last seven days.

                    Thanks

                    At 03:41 PM 11/30/2005, you wrote:
                    >Cecil,
                    >
                    >Without a doubt, use LTSpice from www.analog.com for simulations and
                    >schematic drawing.
                    >
                    >If you need a PCB, use the free express pcb software, free from their
                    >website. It has no size limitation and gives you the cost of the
                    >board(s) on the fly as well as submitting it via the internet.
                    >
                    >I had Cadence PSpice and their pcb software available from a friend
                    >with the commercial version, and found all the features offered by
                    >the high priced software weren't needed and it was not worth the time
                    >it would take to become proficient with it.
                    >
                    >Your mileage may vary.
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >
                    >Art

                    Cecil Bayona
                    KD5NWA
                    www.qrpradio.com

                    'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then
                    beat you with experience.'
                  • David Willmore
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
                      > What software did you use to layout the board?

                      I use Eagle for all schematic capture and layout I do.

                      > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
                      > going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
                      > own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
                      > EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
                      > create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
                      > major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
                      > sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
                      > have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.

                      I had to do a lot of manual routing as Eagle seems to have little
                      idea of single point grounding, ground loops, etc. But, for a little
                      board like this, it wasn't too bad. I'm sure the next one will be easier.

                      > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
                      > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
                      > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
                      > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.

                      I've tried a few different programs and I found many of them to be
                      either impossible to use without way too much time invested in learning
                      them or to be so limited in features as to be almost useless. Eagle
                      seemed to be a good combination. I do have the commercial version of
                      Eagle, so I'm not limited to the tiny default board size though it
                      would have been completely sufficient for this board. With 1208
                      parts and other SMT parts, you can stuff a lot on the board.

                      > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
                      > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
                      > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

                      Use whatever you like and which lets you get work done! :)

                      Cheers,
                      David n0ymv
                    • Phil Covington
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005
                        I'll say it one more time:

                        Kicad

                        http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

                        Open source and works great. No limits. Most of the Eagle symbols
                        have been converted to work with Kicad, see the Yahoo Group Kicad...

                        Phil N8VB

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 30, 2005

                          >LT Spice I believe is from Linear Technologies not Analog Devices,

                          Correct, my error.

                          GL.

                          Art
                        • vu3wjm
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                            Hi!

                            Try Kikad here too good for free

                            http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html

                            BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
                            would like to put them to good use.

                            73

                            Rahul VU3WJM

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@c...> wrote:

                            > What software did you use to layout the board?
                            >
                            > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that
                            was
                            > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most
                            with
                            > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have
                            played
                            > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are
                            bigger
                            > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.
                            >
                            > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw
                            in
                            > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
                            > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > SNIP

                          • David Willmore
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                              Rahul,

                              > BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
                              > would like to put them to good use.

                              Well, then, order a DDS-60 for each of the DDS chips. For the
                              9850's, order up the LPF parts from the original DDS board and,
                              while you're at it, order up a 100MHz metal can oscillator
                              module for each one, too. :)

                              The DDS-60 should work just fine with a 9850 and the older
                              LPF values. If you use the supplied 30MHz oscillator,
                              you're going to need even lower LPF values (larger values,
                              actually) and it'll only output up to 10MHz, but there's a
                              lot of HF spectra below 10MHz. :)

                              Hey, thinking of it, has anyone tried to hook up a DDS-60
                              as the 4x clock source to a SoftRock? That should give you
                              up to 20M coverage. :)

                              Cheers,
                              David n0ymv
                            • brainerd@bmi.net
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                                QST and QEX had an article a few years back on a power meter using the 8307. I
                                built the one in QEX. Works really great. Calibrated digital readout up to 400 -
                                500MHz. I have done relative readings at 1000 + MHz.
                                Also, check out the 120 dB measurement circuit in the 8307 data sheet.

                                Dave - WB6DHW

                                On 1 Dec 2005 at 14:28, vu3wjm wrote:

                                > Hi!
                                >
                                > Try Kikad here too good for free
                                >
                                > http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/index.html
                                >
                                > BTW I have received 9850,51 as well as 8307 from AD as samples. Sure
                                > would like to put them to good use.
                                >
                                > 73

                              • FRANCIS CARCIA
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
                                  Check out "expressPCB".  They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                                  for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers.  gfz

                                  David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
                                  > What software did you use to layout the board?

                                  I use Eagle for all schematic capture and layout I do.

                                  > I have a professional version of EagleCAD 6.xx that a friend that was
                                  > going out of business gave me, but I have not learned it yet. I also
                                  > own a copy of Beige Bag Spice, it will transfer it's schematics to
                                  > EagleCAD, a little time saver there. I've been using PhotoShop to
                                  > create art by hand but that gets old with complicated boards or were
                                  > major changes are required. I have played with the EagleCAD software
                                  > sample boards, and it auto-routing seems to do a very good job but I
                                  > have no clue how difficult it is to control the routing.

                                  I had to do a lot of manual routing as Eagle seems to have little
                                  idea of single point grounding, ground loops, etc.  But, for a little
                                  board like this, it wasn't too bad.  I'm sure the next one will be easier.

                                  > There are a whole bunch of free PCB CAD packages out there, most with
                                  > a 80mm X 100mm board limit, the only free software that I have played
                                  > a little with is CirCAD and it will allow for boards that are bigger
                                  > than I could possibly ever use, and allow multi-layer boards.

                                  I've tried a few different programs and I found many of them to be
                                  either impossible to use without way too much time invested in learning
                                  them or to be so limited in features as to be almost useless.  Eagle
                                  seemed to be a good combination.  I do have the commercial version of
                                  Eagle, so I'm not limited to the tiny default board size though it
                                  would have been completely sufficient for this board.  With 1208
                                  parts and other SMT parts, you can stuff a lot on the board.

                                  > Is there a CAD package you recommend? Everybody feel free to throw in
                                  > your opinion. Mind you I have EagleCAD V6.xxx with no board size
                                  > limit, and can do multi-layers if needed.

                                  Use whatever you like and which lets you get work done! :)

                                  Cheers,
                                  David n0ymv

                                • Bill Dumke
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 4, 2005
                                    I believe the SoftRock 40 PCB was done that way, and I am impressed with
                                    the quality of the PCB.

                                    Bill WB5TCO

                                  • David Willmore
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
                                      > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                                      > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz

                                      My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                                      them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                                      gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                                      in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                                      layouts with it!

                                      Cheers,
                                      David n0ymv
                                    • FRANCIS CARCIA
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 5, 2005
                                        You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
                                        They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
                                        tools.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                                          (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                                          > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:
                                          > > David Willmore <willmore@...> wrote:
                                          > > > Check out "expressPCB". They provide layout software and turn around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a credit card number. High quality stuff
                                          > > > for a good price. I know a number of people who use them. All happy customers. gfz
                                          > >
                                          > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                                          > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                                          > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                                          > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                                          > > layouts with it!
                                          >
                                          > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept Gerber files.
                                          > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without high power
                                          > tools.

                                          Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                                          will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                                          generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                                          not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                                          not acceptable to me.

                                          Cheers,
                                          David
                                        • Phil Covington
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 6, 2005
                                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Willmore <willmore@o...> wrote:

                                            > (top posting and improper indenting/attirbution fixed)
                                            > > FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@s...> wrote:
                                            around product in about 3 days after you send them the file and a
                                            credit card number. High quality stuff
                                            All happy customers. gfz

                                            > > > My issue with them is that the layout software locks you into
                                            > > > them as a board vendor. I'd prefer software that can generate
                                            > > > gerbers and let me use *any* vendor. I'd hate for that locked
                                            > > > in board vendor to go out of business and take all of my
                                            > > > layouts with it!
                                            > >
                                            > > You might want to check again. I think they will also accept
                                            Gerber files.
                                            > > They provided software for hobby users and small timers without
                                            high power
                                            > > tools.
                                            >
                                            > Yes, expressPCB will accept gerber files, but the software they provide
                                            > will not *make* gerber files. So, if you use their software, you cannot
                                            > generate a file that any other board make will be able to take. It's
                                            > not a 'lock out', but a 'lock in' to them as a vendor. That's just
                                            > not acceptable to me.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            > David

                                            I think that you can purchase the gerber files from ExpressPCB for $50
                                            or $60...

                                            Better to use an open source EDA package like gEDA or Kicad. I use
                                            Kicad with the PCBExpress service with no problems.

                                            73 de Phil N8VB
                                          • FRANCIS CARCIA
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 7, 2005
                                              Still better than nothing. I have never heard anyone complain about their price or product and we have used them a lot at work.