Re: [softrock40] v6.2 Lite I.F.

  • paulradge
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi Ken,,,
                     many thanks for your feedback here ,,,i followed the link and built the 2 transistor amp,,,works a treat :)

      sincere regards
      Paul
      vk3ddu

      Paul I used 2 2n2222 transistors from the following schematic:

      http://www.angelfire.com/art2/artswan/rf-preamp-1.jpg

      I got about 40db of amplification for my TS850SAT and now
      everything works fine...

      Ken KG0WX

    • Jose Bonanca
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
        Paul I am interrested in this signal amplifier.
        Would one transistor be enough or else need the two?
        My kenwood is a TS870SAT.
        your answer is welcomed.

        Jose

        On 10/8/07, paulradge <paulradge@...> wrote:

        Hi Ken,,,
                       many thanks for your feedback here ,,,i followed the link and built the 2 transistor amp,,,works a treat :)

        sincere regards
        Paul
        vk3ddu

        Paul I used 2 2n2222 transistors from the following schematic:

        http://www.angelfire.com/art2/artswan/rf-preamp-1.jpg

        I got about 40db of amplification for my TS850SAT and now
        everything works fine...

        Ken KG0WX

        Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
      • Alberto I2PHD
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
          The direct sampling 10 kHz to 30 MHz receiver Perseus is now a reality.

          See some pictures here :

          http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus

          73 Alberto I2PHD
        • R. R. Robson
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

            > The direct sampling 10 kHz to 30 MHz receiver Perseus is now a
            reality.

            > See some pictures here :
            >
            > http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus
            >
            > 73 Alberto I2PHD

            Slick looking, but a tad on the pricey side, given we're talking only
            RX.

            Is it Winrad only? I very much like the idea of a single cable (USB)
            for all PC to RX interfacing.
          • adibene
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R. R. Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

              > Slick looking, but a tad on the pricey side, given we're talking only
              > RX.
              >
              > Is it Winrad only? I very much like the idea of a single cable (USB)
              > for all PC to RX interfacing.

              I wasn't responsible for deciding the price, but I feel that it is
              aligned with similar offerings already present on the market.

              The software is not Winrad. It is a new development by Nico IV3NWV.
              The upcoming V1.30 of Winrad will also support Perseus.
              With both programs the interfacing with the PC is done only via a High
              Speed USB 2.0 link. The sound card is used only for playback of the
              demodulated audio. Data and control information use the USB bus.

              73 Alberto I2PHD
            • tomdrymon
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@...> wrote:

                > The direct sampling 10 kHz to 30 MHz receiver Perseus is now a
                reality.

                > See some pictures here :
                >
                > http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus
                >
                > 73 Alberto I2PHD

                Alberto,

                I noticed an estimated price is not listed. Any idea what it is
                expected to cost?
              • Lawrence
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tomdrymon" <tdrymon@...> wrote:

                  > I noticed an estimated price is not listed. Any idea what it is
                  > expected to cost?

                  It is there if you look carefully. Follow the link to,-
                  http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus

                  It is given as,-
                  Perseus' price for EC users is 799 Euros VAT included.
                  Perseus' price for non EC users is 666 Euros.

                  73, Lawrence GJ3RAX
                • Guenther
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tomdrymon" <tdrymon@...> wrote:

                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The direct sampling 10 kHz to 30 MHz receiver Perseus is now a
                    > reality.
                    > >
                    > > See some pictures here :
                    > >
                    > > http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus
                    > >
                    > > 73 Alberto I2PHD
                    > >
                    > Alberto,
                    >
                    > I noticed an estimated price is not listed. Any idea what it is
                    > expected to cost?

                    Hi,

                    in the spec. sheet of the Perseus receiver the price is 799 Euro.

                    73 Guenther VE2BHH
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                      I wanted to see how much the price is in US dollars, so I added it to
                      the shopping cart on the web site. Paypal did the conversion to $$,
                      but the item would only come up as "ship to EU", which includes the
                      VAT. Do I have to pay the VAT if it is shipped to the US? I couldn't
                      see any "ship to US" option that would come up in the shopping cart.

                      Thanks, Dan

                      > It is given as,-
                      > Perseus' price for EC users is 799 Euros VAT included.
                      > Perseus' price for non EC users is 666 Euros.
                    • Bill Ramsey
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                        The price looks like 666 Euro if you don't pay the VAT. A currency converter
                        found on Google makes that about $938, give or take, if I did it right and
                        the converter is up to date.

                        Bill

                        > > The direct sampling 10 kHz to 30 MHz receiver Perseus is now a
                        > reality.
                        > >
                        > > See some pictures here :
                        > >
                        > > http://sundry.i2phd.com/perseus
                        > >
                        > > 73 Alberto I2PHD
                        > >
                        > Alberto,
                        >
                        > I noticed an estimated price is not listed. Any idea what it is
                        > expected to cost?

                        Hi,

                        in the spec. sheet of the Perseus receiver the price is 799 Euro.

                        73 Guenther VE2BHH

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • paulradge
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                          Hi Jose,,,
                                           i built the 2 stage amp and it's working very well,,,i did read some where in our forum that someone built a 4 stage and it was too much drive ,,,

                          i'm considering adding a stage to make it 3 stage ,,,,but maybe first i should do the audio transformers and 1:1 rf tranny to see if that drops the noise a little more,,,

                          i have just swapped over to a delta44 sound card from the audigy4,,,,,

                          as a yard stick ,,,same antenna same freq and same time of the day,,,
                          rocky3 says the noise on the the ac97 was at -73dB ,,,audigy4 is at -77dB and the Delta is at -94dB with Tony's D44 breakout kit on the output,,,,,

                          so i believe i've just made a BIG leap switching to the D44 and i've found a mod for the D44 to drop another 3-4dB

                            having heaps of fun here,,,
                          regards to all,,,
                          Paul
                          rxtx v6.1 40m/80m needs a box,,,,6.2Lite I.F.,,,D44 breakout kit,,,v6.2 rxtx 20m/30m ready to start,,,where did this guy Tony come from ,,he's worth his weight in Gold.

                          On 10/8/07, paulradge <paulradge@optusnet. com.au> wrote:

                          Hi Ken,,,
                                         many thanks for your feedback here ,,,i followed the link and built the 2 transistor amp,,,works a treat :)

                          sincere regards
                          Paul
                          vk3ddu

                          Paul I used 2 2n2222 transistors from the following schematic:

                          http://www.angelfir e.com/art2/ artswan/rf- preamp-1. jpg

                          I got about 40db of amplification for my TS850SAT and now
                          everything works fine...

                          Ken KG0WX

                          Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)

                        • josephlevy
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 9, 2007
                            Hi Paul

                            You have to do a MDS (minimum detected signal) or some other
                            sensitivity check to compare the sound cards because the "noise"
                            numbers on Rocky depend mostly on the setting of the respective input
                            slider on the mixer in the PC!!! (which are different for the
                            different sound cards!) and as such are almost meaningless.

                            The same goes for the amplifier that may be just raising the noise
                            together with the signal but is not helping any with sensitivity for
                            weak signals and harms the strong signal handling!!

                            The "Mod" for the Delta-44 is for very old cards if I am not mistaken
                            and the problems were rectified by the manufacturer later on (look at
                            the dates..)

                            Hope you have a good time with the SDR (as I have)

                            73 de Joe.
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "paulradge" <paulradge@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Jose,,,
                            > i built the 2 stage amp and it's working very
                            well,,,i did read some where in our forum that someone built a 4
                            stage and it was too much drive ,,,

                            > i'm considering adding a stage to make it 3 stage ,,,,but maybe
                            first i should do the audio transformers and 1:1 rf tranny to see if
                            that drops the noise a little more,,,

                            > i have just swapped over to a delta44 sound card from the
                            audigy4,,,,,

                            > as a yard stick ,,,same antenna same freq and same time of the
                            day,,,
                            > rocky3 says the noise on the the ac97 was at -73dB ,,,audigy4 is
                            at -77dB and the Delta is at -94dB with Tony's D44 breakout kit on
                            the output,,,,,

                            > so i believe i've just made a BIG leap switching to the D44 and
                            i've found a mod for the D44 to drop another 3-4dB
                            > http://www.nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/hware/delta44.htm
                            >
                            > having heaps of fun here,,,
                            > regards to all,,,
                            > Paul
                            > rxtx v6.1 40m/80m needs a box,,,,6.2Lite I.F.,,,D44 breakout
                            kit,,,v6.2 rxtx 20m/30m ready to start,,,where did this guy Tony come
                            from ,,he's worth his weight in Gold.

                            > Paul I am interrested in this signal amplifier.
                            > Would one transistor be enough or else need the two?
                            > My kenwood is a TS870SAT.
                            > your answer is welcomed.
                            >
                            > Jose
                            >

                            > On 10/8/07, paulradge <paulradge@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Hi Ken,,,
                            > many thanks for your feedback here ,,,i followed
                            the link and built the 2 transistor amp,,,works a treat :)

                            > sincere regards
                            > Paul
                            > vk3ddu
                            >

                            > Paul I used 2 2n2222 transistors from the following schematic:
                            >
                            > http://www.angelfire.com/art2/artswan/rf-preamp-1.jpg
                            >
                            > I got about 40db of amplification for my TS850SAT and now
                            > everything works fine...
                            >
                            > Ken KG0WX

                            --------

                            > Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at
                            Live.com. Check it out!