Not a good week.

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
      This week has been something else for me. It's been filled with;

      1. My laptop at work started going nuts, Dell could not fix it and
      they are sending me a replacement next week.
      2. My work partner's wife had to have surgery and he has been gone,
      therefore I had to work my hours and his.
      3. I have not been able to get good night's sleep, making me a zombie
      between long work hours, stress, and lack of sleep.
      4. My main home PC is misbehaving and some critical applications will
      not work no matter what, it's time for a complete re-install.
      5. Yesterday I was going to work on the tutorial, but no, the site
      started acting up and took me most of the day to get it back up and
      working. I would not let me approve of new users or add/edit
      articles, but eventually it was working again.
      6. This morning I wanted to pick up where I left off and add
      information to the tutorial, but no, it had the same issues again.
      This is where it gets interesting, I turned off the site so I could
      work on the databases, and lo it kicks me out too, it's not supposed
      to do that. So now it won't let me in to turn on the site back on, a catch 22.

      Then there is an issue with an attempted hijacking of my PayPal
      account, the less said the better, I'm checking my bank every 30
      minutes to make sure they have not succeeded. I can't get a hold of a
      human being at PayPal so it's a very stressful weekend.

      So now to the main topic of this email, www.softrockradio.com is down
      at the present, and I have not a clue how to get it back up without
      loosing information since I can't get in myself, but I will try
      something shortly. I will try to delete the existing database and
      restore it with a backup from last week where the site is turned on
      or at least it may not have the corruption problem I'm seeing now. I
      will try it first on a domain with a fairly blank site and make sure
      it works in principle, if it does then I will attempt it with the
      SoftRockRadio site.

      Absolute worst case I will start from scratch but hopefully I can
      recover the present site, I do have backups of the databases so I
      should be able to do something to recover the site, hopefully.

      Tired but not beaten!

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • Terry
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
        Please excuse the top-post...
        My sympathies to you Cecil. I've had those kinds of days too, and
        after much beating between the eyes with a 2x4, I finally gave up and
        did something totally different, like watch a movie on TV, or cut
        down a tree...

        Sometimes you win, and sometimes the computer wins.

        From someone that has had their identity stolen five fimes.
        Draconian measures were put in place to solve that issue. No new
        credit cards, constant online monitoring of credit reports (including
        emails of any credit requests/checks), etc...

        I hope you get a break soon.
        Terry

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

        > This week has been something else for me. It's been filled with;
        >
        > 1. My laptop at work started going nuts, Dell could not fix it and
        > they are sending me a replacement next week.
        > 2. My work partner's wife had to have surgery and he has been gone,
        > therefore I had to work my hours and his.
        > 3. I have not been able to get good night's sleep, making me a
        zombie
        > between long work hours, stress, and lack of sleep.
        > 4. My main home PC is misbehaving and some critical applications
        will
        > not work no matter what, it's time for a complete re-install.
        > 5. Yesterday I was going to work on the tutorial, but no, the site
        > started acting up and took me most of the day to get it back up and
        > working. I would not let me approve of new users or add/edit
        > articles, but eventually it was working again.
        > 6. This morning I wanted to pick up where I left off and add
        > information to the tutorial, but no, it had the same issues again.
        > This is where it gets interesting, I turned off the site so I could
        > work on the databases, and lo it kicks me out too, it's not
        supposed
        > to do that. So now it won't let me in to turn on the site back on,
        a catch 22.

        > Then there is an issue with an attempted hijacking of my PayPal
        > account, the less said the better, I'm checking my bank every 30
        > minutes to make sure they have not succeeded. I can't get a hold of
        > human being at PayPal so it's a very stressful weekend.
        >
        > So now to the main topic of this email, www.softrockradio.com is
        down
        > at the present, and I have not a clue how to get it back up without
        > loosing information since I can't get in myself, but I will try
        > something shortly. I will try to delete the existing database and
        > restore it with a backup from last week where the site is turned on
        > or at least it may not have the corruption problem I'm seeing now.
        > will try it first on a domain with a fairly blank site and make
        sure
        > it works in principle, if it does then I will attempt it with the
        > SoftRockRadio site.
        >
        > Absolute worst case I will start from scratch but hopefully I can
        > recover the present site, I do have backups of the databases so I
        > should be able to do something to recover the site, hopefully.
        >
        > Tired but not beaten!
        >

        > Cecil
        > K5NWA
        > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
        >
        > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
          At 02:54 PM 10/7/2007, you wrote:

          >Please excuse the top-post...
          >My sympathies to you Cecil. I've had those kinds of days too, and
          >after much beating between the eyes with a 2x4, I finally gave up and
          >did something totally different, like watch a movie on TV, or cut
          >down a tree...

          Top post does not bother me at all, but others? Some seem to take it
          as a personal assault. They need to get a life.

          I got the site back up, but I really didn't do much of anything so
          I'm not sure it will stay up. Right now I have a terrible headache so
          I will stop working on computers and take your advice and relax.
          Later if it goes away I will try the experiment to be ready just in case.

          Monday I go back to normal schedule, that will help quite a bit.