Re: Coax connection for Softrock v6.2

  • kz6oscar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
      Not to worry. The length of wire is way too short compared to the
      wavelength to have any significant effect.

      73
      Logan, KZ6O

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alejovarona" <alejovarona@...>
      wrote:

      > Out of utter ignorance:
      > Is it safe to solder two wires to a bnc plug and connect them to the
      > SoftRock v6.2 antenna pins?
      > The plan is to solder two wires to a bnc plug that is attached to my
      > enclosing and to connect them to the Softrock board using Molex/Harwin
      > crimp housings. I wonder though if I'll mess the tranmission line
      > impedance.

    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
        alejovarona,

        If they are short connections, it won't matter. But I would leave room
        for an RF isolation transformer, to get rid of AC ground loops from the
        antenna ground to your rig ground if you are using an unbalanced antenna
        like a 40m ground mounted vertical for example. This will minimize the
        center spike and might even eliminate it. My isolation transformer has
        about 3 inches of lead length on either side of it, and it does not hurt
        anything at 40 meters.

        Bill wa9pwr

        alejovarona wrote:
        > Out of utter ignorance:
        > Is it safe to solder two wires to a bnc plug and connect them to the
        > SoftRock v6.2 antenna pins?
        > The plan is to solder two wires to a bnc plug that is attached to my
        > enclosing and to connect them to the Softrock board using Molex/Harwin
        > crimp housings. I wonder though if I'll mess the tranmission line
        > impedance.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alejo Varona
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
          Bill,
          The wires lenght will be about 5 inches or less for a Softrock 30m/20m flavour. I don't know whether they are short enough, I presume yes but I'll appreciate a confirmation from you.
          Another thing you speak about is the RF isolation transformer. How do you build one?

          alejovarona wrote:

          > Out of utter ignorance:
          > Is it safe to solder two wires to a bnc plug and connect them to the
          > SoftRock v6.2 antenna pins?
          > The plan is to solder two wires to a bnc plug that is attached to my
          > enclosing and to connect them to the Softrock board using Molex/Harwin
          > crimp housings. I wonder though if I'll mess the tranmission line
          > impedance.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
        • Bill Dumke
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
            Alejo,

            All you need is a toroid and some wire. Though the binocular cores seem
            to work best for this application. I just picked what I thought to be
            a T50-6 core out of my junk box and wound some #26 enameled wire bifilar
            on it until it filled up. (This is not optimal by the way for all the
            HF Ham bands, but it worked fine for me on 40 meters. You can use the
            "mini ring core calculator" software free from the Internet if you want
            to. ) To make the bifilar windings just put one end of each wire in an
            electric drill chuck and secure the opposite ends close together in a
            vise or something like that. Let the drill spin until you get about
            about a 4 turns per inch twist. Then you just connect one winding to
            your rig and the other winding to the "isolated ground" antenna
            connector on your box. You can buy these for BNC connectors. They use
            white plastic to insulate the whole connector from the chassis. You
            could probably insulate your connector with some plastic yourself if you
            want to.

            I think I got my isolated ground BNC connectors from either Digikey or
            Mouser.

            5 inches sounds kind of long for 20 meters, but I don't know for sure.
            I used about 3 inches each side of my isolation transformer at 40
            meters. Mine is just laid out on a table. I haven't put it in a box as
            yet. But I recommend to always make wires like this as short as
            possible. It becomes more important at higher frequencies.

            Bill wa9pwr