Re: RXTXV6.2 20/30 non oscillation

  • Dave Cutts
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2007
      Hi Tony,

      Received the new 18.8696 crystal here in Sunny Spain this morning-
      Thanks. Only problem is that that one doesnt oscillate either!! I
      have put the 18.73 one in and it fires straight up, no problem. Any
      suggestions?

      73s

      Dave G4FAW

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave,
      >
      > There have been a few reports on 18.8696 MHz crystals not
      oscillating properly. Please send me your mailing address and I will
      send a replacement crystal later today.

      > 73,
      > Tony KB9YIG

      I got
      > a "Duff" xtal?
      >
      > Thanks Dave

    • Dave Cutts
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
        I have built the oscillator board for the above and find that whatever
        I do I cannot get the 18.8696 rock to work. The 18.73 works fine in its
        place, Tony kindly sent me another and that one doesnt work either. I
        have taken a turn off L100 to no avail and checked the hfe of the
        transistors and they are all within spec, at about 130. I guess the
        crystals are low activity but do not know how to change the circuit to
        compensate. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.......
      • Tony Parks
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
          Hi Dave,

          A number of kit builders have had problems with the 18.8696 MHz crystal.  I have a limited supply of thatcrystal but will replace defective units as long as my supply lasts.

          Please send me your mailing address and I will get another unit mailed to you.

          73,
          Tony KB9YIG

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave,
            >
            > A number of kit builders have had problems with the 18.8696 MHz
            crystal. I have a limited supply of thatcrystal but will replace
            defective units as long as my supply lasts.

            > Please send me your mailing address and I will get another unit
            mailed to you.

            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

            Thanks for the offer, I'm sure that the xtals are ok, they are
            probably low activity. You have already sent me one spare, I will
            investigate further and will ask you for another only as a last
            resort.

            Thanks & 73 Dave
          • Paul Kiciak
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
              Hi Dave,

              Since the 18.73 MHz rock works and the 18.87 MHz rock
              doesn't, it's most likely that the 18.87 MHz rock is
              bad.

              73
              Paul N2PK
            • Dave Cutts
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kiciak" <paul@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dave,
                >
                > Since the 18.73 MHz rock works and the 18.87 MHz rock
                > doesn't, it's most likely that the 18.87 MHz rock is
                > bad.
                >
                > 73
                > Paul N2PK

                Thanks Paul,

                Problem is that Tony was kind enough to send me another and that is the
                same. It did oscillate once and I switched over to the other rock and
                back again and it stopped, indicating that it is marginal somewhere.

                Dave
              • kb2xj
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2007
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Cutts" <g4faw@...> wrote:

                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kiciak" <paul@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Dave,
                  > >
                  > > Since the 18.73 MHz rock works and the 18.87 MHz rock
                  > > doesn't, it's most likely that the 18.87 MHz rock is
                  > > bad.
                  > >
                  > > 73
                  > > Paul N2PK
                  > >
                  > Thanks Paul,
                  >
                  > Problem is that Tony was kind enough to send me another and that is
                  the
                  > same. It did oscillate once and I switched over to the other rock
                  and
                  > back again and it stopped, indicating that it is marginal somewhere.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  Hi Dave/GRP

                  I received a replacement 18.8696 MHz crystal for the troublesome
                  MA502. It works just fine on my plug in daughter board. My second
                  board was built with Zetex ZTX325's in place of the MPS5179's and is
                  the one used with the subject crystal.

                  Jim - KB2XJ
                • Chris Wiliams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2007
                    Hi All,

                    sorry for revival of this old thread, but quickly scanning back
                    through the messages I didnt see much in the way of follow ups...

                    Dave - g4faw commented:

                    > I will investigate further and will ask you for another only as a last
                    > resort.

                    Was there any outcome in the end with your tests Dave?? I also have
                    the non oscillating 18mhz rock here, which does however spring to life
                    in my xtal tester at its fundemental - (perhaps this xtal is not happy
                    in overtone mode???)

                    I also tried a few variants on turns on the coil but cant seem to coax
                    it into life. I will have a look thru my xtals box to see if I have
                    something suitable in the mean time.

                    ttfn - chris w