SoftRock Kit Status, September 26

  • kb9yig
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
      Good Morning All,

      The RXTXv6.2 kits are now just about sold out with the following kits
      still in stock:

      one 160m RXTXv6.2 kit,
      one 40m/80m RXTXv6.2 kit,
      five 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits and
      two 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits with the daughter board kits.

      I am still uncertain at this date if there will be another run of the
      RXTXv6.2 kits. Most of the interest expressed recently has been for
      a 15m/17m kit and a 10m/12m kit. Examples of those two models are
      are being built at this date.

      Other kits still in stock include about 180 SoftRock Lite kits that
      may be set for ham bands from 160m to 20m or as IF kits for various
      IF frequencies.

      Also in stock are over 100 of the Delta 44 interface module kits and
      about twenty of the Rocky 3.x serial interface kits.

      If I do another round of the RXTXv6.2 kits, the kits will not be
      available again unitl after October 22.

      Thanks to all for your interest in the various SoftRock projects.

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • Javier Fernandez
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
        Tony:

         Count me in for the 40/80 and the 160M kit!

        Money on the way,

        73, Javier,
        KC2QII

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
          Thanks Tony,

          I  received the RXTX 6.2 for 20/30m yesterday. On another note, I have just got hold of an ICPCR100, what would you suggest for using the IF output of this?

          Cheers

          John de VK4JWT

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
            Hi John,

            I have no direct experience with the ICPCR100 but I think it has a 10.7 MHz IF.  Quite a few guys have bought a 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite kit from me for that application.  The 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite kit is $13 when mailed to a DX location.

            Hope the kit build goes well and that you have some fun with the 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit.

            Thanks and 73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
              Hi Tony,

              I would like to order the 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit with the daughter board
              kit if still available.

              73's de oh8kva/Jarmo
            • f5iyj
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <raparks@...> wrote:

                > Good Morning All,
                >
                > The RXTXv6.2 kits are now just about sold out with the following kits
                > still in stock:
                >
                > one 160m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                > one 40m/80m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                > five 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits and
                > two 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits with the daughter board kits.
                >
                > I am still uncertain at this date if there will be another run of the
                > RXTXv6.2 kits. Most of the interest expressed recently has been for
                > a 15m/17m kit and a 10m/12m kit. Examples of those two models are
                > are being built at this date.
                >
                > Other kits still in stock include about 180 SoftRock Lite kits that
                > may be set for ham bands from 160m to 20m or as IF kits for various
                > IF frequencies.
                >
                > Also in stock are over 100 of the Delta 44 interface module kits and
                > about twenty of the Rocky 3.x serial interface kits.
                >
                > If I do another round of the RXTXv6.2 kits, the kits will not be
                > available again unitl after October 22.
                >
                > Thanks to all for your interest in the various SoftRock projects.
                >
                > 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

                Hi Tony,
                I would like to order one 40/30m kit if already available.
                Money will follow via Paypal.

                73,
                Philippe - F5IYJ
              • ad9850
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Hi Tony,

                  as I already mentioned earlier to you, there is continous interest in
                  RXTX kits here in Germany. Not only in new kits for the bands 15m/17m
                  or 10m/12m. There is still interest in 80m, 40m, 30m and 20m kits. For
                  the upcoming time of the year more people are interested in indoor
                  activities, i.e. using the soldering station.

                  I just started to prepare an article for the magazine 'CQ DL' of the
                  German Amateur Radio Club. The main focus will be the software
                  available for transceivers like the SoftRock RXTX. I expect additional
                  requests because not all hams are reading the FUNKAMATEUR magazine and
                  therefore know the article Tom, DG8SAQ and I published about the
                  RXTXv6.1 hardware.

                  Thanks again for your efforts to supply the hams worldwide with your
                  great kits!

                  73 de Bodo, DJ9CS

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <raparks@...> wrote:

                  > Good Morning All,
                  >
                  > The RXTXv6.2 kits are now just about sold out with the following kits
                  > still in stock:
                  >
                  > one 160m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                  > one 40m/80m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                  > five 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits and
                  > two 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits with the daughter board kits.
                  >
                  > I am still uncertain at this date if there will be another run of the
                  > RXTXv6.2 kits. Most of the interest expressed recently has been for
                  > a 15m/17m kit and a 10m/12m kit. Examples of those two models are
                  > are being built at this date.
                  >
                  > Other kits still in stock include about 180 SoftRock Lite kits that
                  > may be set for ham bands from 160m to 20m or as IF kits for various
                  > IF frequencies.
                  >
                  > Also in stock are over 100 of the Delta 44 interface module kits and
                  > about twenty of the Rocky 3.x serial interface kits.
                  >
                  > If I do another round of the RXTXv6.2 kits, the kits will not be
                  > available again unitl after October 22.
                  >
                  > Thanks to all for your interest in the various SoftRock projects.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • Bruce Beford
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
                    I would also echo Bodo's comments that there is a continuing interest
                    in the SoftRock receivers and tranceivers. The vast majority of radio
                    amateurs do not even know these are available.

                    Many people have heard of the SoftRock, but thought they were
                    discontinued. One of Tony's regular customer's who uses the ebay
                    name 'jimandleah' routinely posts these kits on eBay, and gets over
                    twice the original purchase price. All you have to do is imply (by
                    ommision) that they are scarce, or no longer available, and watch the
                    bids flow in...

                    If more people knew that there was an active web presence (the Yahoo
                    Group), and that they could be bought direct from the designer, Tony
                    would never get any sleep, and he would be buried in orders.

                    I am a member of the New England QRP Club (www.newenglandqrp.org). We
                    make a small SCAF audio filter kit for use with HF rigs. Every time
                    orders trickle down, I make a brief post to the various QRP email
                    lists and Yahoo Groups, and the orders come back up again.

                    I have learned that it is a mistake to think that just because you
                    have been offering something for a while, that people are aware of
                    it. It pays to remind folks that you are still out there.

                    An occasional reminder (perhaps monthly), with a link to the Yahoo
                    Group, would keep the orders flowing for as long as Tony cares to
                    continue doing this.

                    regards to all,
                    Bruce N1RX
                  • Fraser
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

                      > Hi John,
                      >
                      > I have no direct experience with the ICPCR100 but I think it has a
                      10.7 MHz IF. Quite a few guys have bought a 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite
                      kit from me for that application. The 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite kit is
                      $13 when mailed to a DX location.

                      > Hope the kit build goes well and that you have some fun with the
                      20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit.

                      > Thanks and 73,
                      > Tony KB9YIG

                      Hi Tony,

                      I have just ordered two Softrock V6.2 RX kits from you (40m & 80m
                      versions).

                      In the future I intend to experiment with one of them as the 10.7 MHz
                      IF for my PCR1000 ..... 10.7 MHz IF tap details here:

                      http://www.wentztech.com/radio/Equipment/PCR1000/PCR1000.html

                      I have a 42.8 MHz crystal which at f/4 = 10.7MHz looks a good bet but
                      do not know what turns count will be required for the wound
                      components and any associated capacitor value changes. Do you by any
                      chance have that data to hand ? If too many changes are required I
                      will buy the 10.7 MHz version from you.

                      Many Thanks

                      Fraser
                    • Mr John W Titmuss
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 26, 2007
                        OK Thanks Tony,
                        I will grab a 10.7 meg softrock lite, will put the cash in paypal now, plus I owe you a buck for the extra 20m xtal, so will deposit $14.00.

                        Cheers

                        John de VK4JWT
                        ---- Tony Parks <raparks@...> wrote:
                        > Hi John,
                        >
                        > I have no direct experience with the ICPCR100 but I think it has a 10.7 MHz IF. Quite a few guys have bought a 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite kit from me for that application. The 10.7 MHz SoftRock Lite kit is $13 when mailed to a DX location.
                        >
                        > Hope the kit build goes well and that you have some fun with the 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kit.
                        >
                        > Thanks and 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • g7bvs
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 6, 2007
                          Hi Tony,

                          I recently built a SoftRock Lite (40m) which I purchased from Waters
                          & Stanton here in the UK. Never having built anything using surface
                          mounted components I had wondered if I would get it working but I'm
                          pleased to say it did first time I plugged it into my PC.

                          I have an eMachines E4024 and I'm using the onboard sound card. Not
                          the best in the world but it seems to be OK at 48kHZ but won't work
                          at 96kHZ.

                          As this has fired my enthusiasm in Ham Radio after many years of
                          neglect I would like to try building another one on a different band
                          or even using it as the IF for a receiver working on 6m.

                          I see that you had a number available but I couldn't find out how
                          much they were, how to order one (or two) and how to pay.

                          Sorry if you've posted these details before.

                          73
                          Nigel G7BVS (Gloucester)

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <raparks@...> wrote:

                          > Good Morning All,
                          >
                          > The RXTXv6.2 kits are now just about sold out with the following
                          kits
                          > still in stock:
                          >
                          > one 160m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                          > one 40m/80m RXTXv6.2 kit,
                          > five 40m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits and
                          > two 20m/30m RXTXv6.2 kits with the daughter board kits.
                          >
                          > I am still uncertain at this date if there will be another run of
                          the
                          > RXTXv6.2 kits. Most of the interest expressed recently has been
                          for
                          > a 15m/17m kit and a 10m/12m kit. Examples of those two models are
                          > are being built at this date.
                          >
                          > Other kits still in stock include about 180 SoftRock Lite kits that
                          > may be set for ham bands from 160m to 20m or as IF kits for various
                          > IF frequencies.
                          >
                          > Also in stock are over 100 of the Delta 44 interface module kits
                          and
                          > about twenty of the Rocky 3.x serial interface kits.
                          >
                          > If I do another round of the RXTXv6.2 kits, the kits will not be
                          > available again unitl after October 22.
                          >
                          > Thanks to all for your interest in the various SoftRock projects.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Tony KB9YIG

                        • Fraser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 7, 2007
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g7bvs" <g7bvs@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Tony,
                            >
                            > I recently built a SoftRock Lite (40m) which I purchased from
                            Waters
                            > & Stanton here in the UK. Never having built anything using surface
                            > mounted components I had wondered if I would get it working but I'm
                            > pleased to say it did first time I plugged it into my PC.
                            >
                            > I have an eMachines E4024 and I'm using the onboard sound card. Not
                            > the best in the world but it seems to be OK at 48kHZ but won't work
                            > at 96kHZ.
                            >
                            > As this has fired my enthusiasm in Ham Radio after many years of
                            > neglect I would like to try building another one on a different
                            band
                            > or even using it as the IF for a receiver working on 6m.
                            >
                            > I see that you had a number available but I couldn't find out how
                            > much they were, how to order one (or two) and how to pay.
                            >
                            > Sorry if you've posted these details before.
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Nigel G7BVS (Gloucester)

                            Hi Nigel,

                            I may be able to assist on this question as I have just purchased two
                            Softrock RX's from Tony for delivery to the UK.

                            There is a web page dedicated to the softrock kits that details what
                            is available and at what cost. Look at the following url:

                            http://www.softrockradio.org/node/49

                            The page lists the usual 160m, 80,, 40m versions etc but I did not
                            see much about the IF freq versions. I understand that Tony can
                            supply several different IF freq versions but you will need to ask
                            him via email for any specific freq your desire. I know that he does
                            10.7 MHz. Standard Softrock RX Ham band kits cost $11 including
                            shipping to UK. and are a bargain in my opinion :-) IF freq versions
                            cost $13 including shipping.

                            Payment is via a paypal payment to Tony's PayPal account which is
                            detailed on the ordering pages. Just use the "send money" option in
                            PayPay and enter Tony's email address. Then enter your Softrock
                            requirements in the PayPal message box.

                            Tony had my kits with me within a week....what a guy !

                            I am most grateful to Tony and all those responsible for the Softrock
                            project for making such a superb and reasonably priced kit available
                            to the greater Amateur radio/SWL community.

                            I have also purchased a Soft66DB2 kit from Japan for $20 delivered.
                            Another nice SDR produced by a great guy. Look at:

                            http://zao.jp/radio/sft66db2/

                            He also produces the DDS-33 direct digital sythesiser at only $30

                            http://zao.jp/radio/dds_en/

                            Hope this helps

                            Fraser