Re: [softrock40] Assembly under way - SR Lite 20M

  • KD5SSJ
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 19, 2007
      John,

      I hope you have seen some of the messages on the Hot Air method for soldering SMT. Folks who have a bit of shakiness and vision problems have had very good luck with doing SMT parts. You might give it a try, because you solder the board all at once and don't have to individually solder each end of every part.

      Cash
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
          John,

          Back in the 1060's I worked as a tech for Magnavox in California.  Back in those days we made circuit modules that looked like small ice cubes.  One of our engineers got in an IC.  He tried to solder it with a soldering gun.  The chip was destroyed... so much for IC's, he figured they would never make it!

          Don K4IJV (ex K6HLQ)

          On 9/20/07, John <99blacksmith@...> wrote:

          Just a note of encouragement to those with sight deficiencies. I do
          not have central vision in one eye. (no 3D, depth perception) My other
          eye is corrected with a rather thick lens. I use a magnifying bench
          light and place another hand magnifying glass on top of the first
          lens. Soldering is going amazingly well! I'm surprised! 2/3s done and
          it looks very professional to me... I'm usually a bit shaky. So far
          I'm able to control that fairly well. This is my first attempt at SMT
          soldering.
          73
          John, W9JGO

        • Jose Bonanca
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
            You are pretty old aren't you ??

            --
            Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
          • Don Parks
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
              missed the 9 key for the 1960's.  I do feel that old some days.  I am playing around with some TI eZ430-T2012
              parts at the moment... They got a lot of stuff in a 14 pin package with a lot of pin multiplexing.

              Got both of my sons (KI4POX and KI4POY) also looking at the parts..

              Don  K4IJV

              On 9/20/07, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Olson Family - W9JGO
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
                Thanks for the comments, fellows. I have the three ICs on the bottom of
                the board,
                the crystal and jumper to go. All is looking well.

                Carl, I bought the solder paste from you and have downloaded the hot
                air method info.
                I bought the embossing hot air gun and therein lies the problem...
                My wife tossed the bag thinking it contained throw aways...
                My hot air gun is now in the landfill... Still in the plastic package!
                Thus, I am soldering "the hard way" but it is going so much better than
                expected!

                Don, I remember my first venture into transistors... I bought a CK-722
                by Raytheon.
                It didn't take me long to kill it. I kept in a desk drawer as a
                reminder for many years...

                73,
                John W9JGO (67 yrs of age, Ham for 49 yrs.)
              • John
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                  My wife is "off the hook" ! I found the embossing heat gun under my
                  desk, behind a tool box. Now how the heck did it get there???
                  Oh, I know, age 67...
                  73,
                  John W9JGO
                  p.s. Rx is finished, will begin checkout on Tuesday...

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Olson Family - W9JGO
                  <99blacksmith@...> wrote:

                  <<snip>>

                  > Carl, I bought the solder paste from you and have downloaded the hot
                  > air method info.
                  > I bought the embossing hot air gun and therein lies the problem...
                  > My wife tossed the bag thinking it contained throw aways...
                  > My hot air gun is now in the landfill... Still in the plastic package!
                  > Thus, I am soldering "the hard way" but it is going so much better
                  than
                  > expected!
                  <<snip>>