18.869MHz-MA506 Crystal oscillates on 56.517MHz and low output

  • qrper723
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      I've build the 20m daughter board and am measuring its frequency and
      output voltage with frequency counter and oscilloscope.

      MA506 type X-tal is the option for 20m SSB frequency...

      I find that the MA506 SMD type X-tal does not oscillate at 18.869MHz x
      3 = 56.607MHz but it oscillates at 56.517MHz, slightly low frequency
      than its specification.And its output voltage is about 1.2V-pp on my
      oscilloscope(Tektro-2221A,100MHz). It is also alightly LOW output.Also
      the another X-tal(18.73MHzx3=56.19MHz) has low output about
      1.3V-pp.But its oscillation frequency is OK at 56.193MHz.

      Anyone has the same situatuon?

      Thanks, ja9mat Hidehiko.
    • Gerd, DM2CDB
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
        Hi Hidehiko,

        have you a new homepage?

        73 Gerd DM2CDB

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
          Hi Gerd,

          Sorry but my website closed.
          I'm experimenting the RxTx 20/30m version now and will update
          my result on this file section.
          Website is hard to maitenance for me! hi.

          BTW...

          I was in Boeblingen city south of Stuttgart about 20 years ago
          for 40-days.I have so many friends and nice memory there.
          I'd like to visit again when I retire someday. hi.
          I also want to see you on the air by 2way Softrock Trcvr the next
          sun spot season.

          Danke Schoen und Aufwiedersehn.

          73,ja9mat Hidehiko.

          > have you a new homepage?
          >
          > 73 Gerd DM2CDB
        • Gerd, DM2CDB
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
            Hi Hidehiko,

            thanks for message. Your old homepage verry interesting design for Homebrew, sorry. My QTH is Berlin, 75m over Ground, hi.

            Regards and vy 73 de Gerd, DM2CDB

            I'm experimenting the RxTx 20/30m version now and will update
            my result on this file section.
            Website is hard to maitenance for me! hi.

            BTW...

            I was in Boeblingen city south of Stuttgart about 20 years ago
            for 40-days.I have so many friends and nice memory there.
            I'd like to visit again when I retire someday. hi.
            I also want to see you on the air by 2way Softrock Trcvr the next
            sun spot season.

            Danke Schoen und Aufwiedersehn.

            73,ja9mat Hidehiko.

            > have you a new homepage?
            >
            > 73 Gerd DM2CDB

          • mikecol2
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 10, 2007
              Hi Hidehiko,
              I just got a couple of MA506 XTALs from Tony and tried them in my
              unmodified 20m daughter board.

              They both came up fine with full output: about 4V ptp.

              The first oscillates at 56.49291Mhz
              The second at 56.50473Mhz

              The orig. 30M and lower 20M crystals also came up just fine.

              I'm still looking for a crystal around 57Mhz (closer to center of SSB
              span at 192Ksps) if anyone knows of a source to check with.

              Thanks,
              Mike Collins
            • qrper723
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 11, 2007
                Thanks for your useful information dear Mike.

                The MA506 type Xtal is written "18.869" on its surface body.
                So I think MA506-type Xtal should oscillate at 18.869MHz x 3 =
                56.607MHz using 3rd overtone with batler oscillator.
                If your Xtal is the same with mine.Your oscillation frequency
                is also slightly LOWER than its specification.

                And about the output level,I asked to Paul/N2PK,he said that
                it must be used the resisitive probe at the measurement.
                I will try to measure again.But I do want to know how you measured
                its output level? Using x10 probe mode? 100MHz or more oscilloscope?

                ja9mat Hidehiko.

                > I just got a couple of MA506 XTALs from Tony and tried them in my
                > unmodified 20m daughter board.
                >
                > They both came up fine with full output: about 4V ptp.
                >
                > The first oscillates at 56.49291Mhz
                > The second at 56.50473Mhz
              • mikecol2
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 11, 2007
                  > The MA506 type Xtal is written "18.869" on its surface body.
                  > I will try to measure again.But I do want to know how you measured
                  > its output level? Using x10 probe mode? 100MHz or more oscilloscope?

                  Yes, my MA506 are marked with the same frequency.

                  I had the input power supply a little high with the first measurement
                  (~13.5V) and rechecking with +12 input on the supply I get about 3.6V ptp.

                  The measurements were made on X10 probe and with Tek 2465 300Mhz
                  scope. Also monitored it with a Tek 2430A dig scope that has 150Mhz
                  bandwidth with same results.

                  I should note that these voltage measurements were with the daughter
                  board only (seperated from the RXTX board). This will effect the ptp
                  voltage since when it is connected to the RXTX there is a 10K pullup
                  and 10K pulldown. This will give an additional 5K load in parallel
                  with the 1K emitter resistor in the voltage follower circuit on the
                  oscillator (excluding the capacitive loading from the 74AC74).
                  Connecting to the RXTX will drop the ptp measurement (hard to
                  determine without connecting because of the transistor gains/loading).
                  I will remeasure tonight with it connected to the RXTX.

                  Just for another data point, my oscillator resonates about 46.1Mhz
                  when I swap a crystal for a 470pf cap. This checks the L100 and C
                  resonance. My L100 measured .45uH (out of circuit measured with AADE
                  LC meter) which was slightly higher than spec'ed for 12T (spec on
                  schem is .43uH).

                  Have fun, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                • tom_iphi
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 11, 2007
                    Hi,

                    I think I remember that the 3rd overtone of a crystal is not exactly
                    at 3x the fundamental frequency but generally somewhat lower due to
                    the mass loading of the crystal contacts which show increasing effect
                    at increasing frequency (Force=mass*acceleration, acceleration
                    proportional to frequency squared).

                    So, if the crystal reads 18.869 it is desiged to be a fundamental
                    wave crystal. If you run it in overtone mode you experience the above
                    mentioned frequency shift. That's why crystal manufacturers exactly
                    need to know your mode of operation and also the loading capacitance.

                    73, Tom DG8SAQ

                    P.S. Hidehiko, sorry to hear that your homepage is gone! I liked it a
                    lot!

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for your useful information dear Mike.
                    >
                    > The MA506 type Xtal is written "18.869" on its surface body.
                    > So I think MA506-type Xtal should oscillate at 18.869MHz x 3 =
                    > 56.607MHz using 3rd overtone with batler oscillator.
                    > If your Xtal is the same with mine.Your oscillation frequency
                    > is also slightly LOWER than its specification.
                    >
                    > And about the output level,I asked to Paul/N2PK,he said that
                    > it must be used the resisitive probe at the measurement.
                    > I will try to measure again.But I do want to know how you measured
                    > its output level? Using x10 probe mode? 100MHz or more
                    oscilloscope?

                    > ja9mat Hidehiko.
                    >
                    > > I just got a couple of MA506 XTALs from Tony and tried them in my
                    > > unmodified 20m daughter board.
                    > >
                    > > They both came up fine with full output: about 4V ptp.
                    > >
                    > > The first oscillates at 56.49291Mhz
                    > > The second at 56.50473Mhz

                  • qrper723
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                      Hi Mike,

                      Thanks for useful information.
                      My scope is also Tektro 2221A(100MHz) and using x10 probe.

                      Today I make a resisitive probe and get an output level to 2.47V.
                      It is enough to drive 74AC74.
                      Maybe my x10-probe does not cover high frequency up to 100MHz.
                      So the level goes to down.

                      ja9mat Hidehiko.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                        Hi Tom,

                        Yes I know the feature of 3rd overtone oscillator as you said.
                        But I think its frequency shift is bigger than I've experienced
                        before.
                        The 18.73MHz Xtal for CW band oscillates at 56.193MHz. It has
                        very small shift. But the other 18.869MHz Xtal oscillates at
                        56.517MHz. It has about 90KHz less than its fundamental frequency.
                        It's amount is correct?

                        Anyway I will continue my experiment. Tony send me a new type
                        of Xtal today....TKS!

                        ja9mat Hidehiko.

                        * Sorry for close my website...

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "tom_iphi" <iphi@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I think I remember that the 3rd overtone of a crystal is not exactly
                        > at 3x the fundamental frequency but generally somewhat lower due to
                        > the mass loading of the crystal contacts which show increasing effect
                        > at increasing frequency (Force=mass*acceleration, acceleration
                        > proportional to frequency squared).
                        >
                        > So, if the crystal reads 18.869 it is desiged to be a fundamental
                        > wave crystal. If you run it in overtone mode you experience the above
                        > mentioned frequency shift. That's why crystal manufacturers exactly
                        > need to know your mode of operation and also the loading capacitance.
                        >
                        > 73, Tom DG8SAQ
                        >
                        > P.S. Hidehiko, sorry to hear that your homepage is gone! I liked it a
                        > lot!
                        >
                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Thanks for your useful information dear Mike.
                        > >
                        > > The MA506 type Xtal is written "18.869" on its surface body.
                        > > So I think MA506-type Xtal should oscillate at 18.869MHz x 3 =
                        > > 56.607MHz using 3rd overtone with batler oscillator.
                        > > If your Xtal is the same with mine.Your oscillation frequency
                        > > is also slightly LOWER than its specification.
                        > >
                        > > And about the output level,I asked to Paul/N2PK,he said that
                        > > it must be used the resisitive probe at the measurement.
                        > > I will try to measure again.But I do want to know how you measured
                        > > its output level? Using x10 probe mode? 100MHz or more
                        > oscilloscope?
                        > >
                        > > ja9mat Hidehiko.
                        > >
                        > > > I just got a couple of MA506 XTALs from Tony and tried them in my
                        > > > unmodified 20m daughter board.
                        > > >
                        > > > They both came up fine with full output: about 4V ptp.
                        > > >
                        > > > The first oscillates at 56.49291Mhz
                        > > > The second at 56.50473Mhz

                      • tom_iphi
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 12, 2007
                          Hi Hidehiko,

                          I have to correct myself. Out of curiosity I have just grabbed a
                          20MHz crystal and measured its series resonances with my vna.
                          The harmonics are above the expected frequency, not below.
                          Here is what I measured:
                          fundamental: 19.99545MHz
                          3x: 60.00499MHz
                          5x: 100.00591MHz
                          7x: 140.0077 MHz

                          Now I just need a theory to explain this ;-).
                          I have also seen lots of parasitic resonances above these harmonics.

                          73 Tom DG8SAQ

                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:
                            > But the other 18.869MHz Xtal oscillates at 56.517MHz. It has
                            > about 90KHz less than its fundamental frequency.

                            I've tested a MA-506 18.869MHz (Digikey SE2634CT-ND) and found its
                            third-overtone series resonance at about the same frequency that you
                            see. I also tested a Citizen CSA309-18.869MABJ (Digikey 300-5039-ND)
                            cylindrical radial-lead crystal and found it to resonate at 56.546MHz,
                            a bit higher. I'm using the Citizen crystal as a third crystal on
                            the bottom of the board as suggested by N2PK and it oscillates nicely,
                            but I have not yet checked it in actual operation on the RXTX board
                            (still awaiting a MMBV3700LT1 diode to complete the mod). The result
                            should be an LO center frequency about 7kHz higher than with the
                            MA-506.

                            Dave, WA3OFF
                          • Paul Kiciak
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
                              Hi Dave,

                              >I've tested a MA-506 18.869MHz (Digikey SE2634CT-ND) and
                              >... a Citizen CSA309-18.869MABJ (Digikey 300-5039-ND)

                              Were you able to measure the crystal series resistance
                              at the 3rd overtone resonances for these two crystals?

                              If so, what did you get?

                              73,
                              Paul N2PK
                            • qrper723
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 14, 2007
                                Hi Dave,

                                Thanks for your information.
                                Sorry but I've broken MA506 type Xtal while soldering. hi.

                                And my cylindrical Xtal has a problem...
                                The oscillation is good only when I switch to ON.
                                As you said the frequency is slightly low.

                                But the problem is that it stop the oscillation suddenly
                                after 3-seconds.In other words...The output voltage is
                                dowm from 2.25V-pp to 90mV-pp suddenly.
                                (I'm using resistive probe by N2PK suggested to me,TKS!)

                                Then I changed the TANK coil of L100,from 15turns to 9turns.
                                But it does not changed.

                                Your report about the cylindrical Xtal is good for oscillation.
                                So I will continue the experiment this weekend.It's fun for me!

                                Thanks, ja9mat Hidehiko.

                                > I've tested a MA-506 18.869MHz (Digikey SE2634CT-ND) and found its
                                > third-overtone series resonance at about the same frequency that you
                                > see. I also tested a Citizen CSA309-18.869MABJ (Digikey 300-5039-ND)
                                > cylindrical radial-lead crystal and found it to resonate at 56.546MHz,
                                > a bit higher. I'm using the Citizen crystal as a third crystal on
                                > the bottom of the board as suggested by N2PK and it oscillates nicely,
                                > but I have not yet checked it in actual operation on the RXTX board
                                > (still awaiting a MMBV3700LT1 diode to complete the mod). The result
                                > should be an LO center frequency about 7kHz higher than with the
                                > MA-506.
                                >
                                > Dave, WA3OFF

                              • Dave
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 15, 2007
                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Kiciak" <paul@...> wrote:
                                  > Were you able to measure the crystal series resistance
                                  > at the 3rd overtone resonances for these two crystals?

                                  Here are the measurements for all four crystals:

                                  Freq.. Rs
                                  40.491 42.1 came with RxTx kit
                                  56.203 41.7 came with RxTx kit
                                  56.517 45.7 MA-506
                                  56.546 30.8 Citizen crystal.

                                  These were measured without recalibrating the analyzer with the
                                  binding post adapter installed, so they may be off slightly.

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:
                                  > But the problem is that it stop the oscillation suddenly
                                  > after 3-seconds.In other words...The output voltage is
                                  > dowm from 2.25V-pp to 90mV-pp suddenly.
                                  > (I'm using resistive probe by N2PK suggested to me,TKS!)
                                  >
                                  > Then I changed the TANK coil of L100,from 15turns to 9turns.
                                  > But it does not changed.

                                  I see roughly the same output voltage and stable oscillation with
                                  each crystal tested in the daughterboard (MA-506 not tested since I
                                  don't intend to use it). Tested with 9V and a bit over 11V with
                                  higher output with higher voltage. For L100 I have 13 evenly-spaced
                                  turns on a T25-6 core from my own stock that I substituted for the
                                  original with 12 turns since the 40.50 crystal did not originally
                                  oscillate.

                                  I did not attempt to solder a ground connection to the case of the
                                  Citizen crystal for fear of damage to the crystal.

                                  Dave, WA3OFF
                                • Tony Parks
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 15, 2007
                                    Hi Paul,

                                    This morning I have mailed two each of the following crystals to you for evaluation:

                                    MA-506 18.869 MHz crystal, Digikey SE2634CT-ND
                                    CSA309-18.869MABJ, Digikey 300-5039-ND
                                    HC49 18.869 MHz units purchased by Bodo, DJ9CS

                                    Thanks and 73,
                                    Tony KB9YIG

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 15, 2007
                                      Dave,

                                      Thanks for the Rs data.

                                      >These were measured without recalibrating the analyzer
                                      >with the binding post adapter installed, so they may be
                                      >off slightly.

                                      Which analyzer did you use?

                                      73,
                                      Paul N2PK
                                    • mikecol2
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 15, 2007
                                        Here are the measurements for all four crystals:

                                        > Freq.. Rs
                                        > 40.491 42.1 came with RxTx kit
                                        > 56.203 41.7 came with RxTx kit
                                        > 56.517 45.7 MA-506
                                        > 56.546 30.8 Citizen crystal.

                                        Thanks for the data Dave.
                                        For comparison on Freq here are mine:
                                        40.495 came with RxTx kit
                                        56.200 came with RxTx kit
                                        56.493 MA-506
                                        56.505 another MA-506 from Tony

                                        All of mine oscillate on the stock N2PK design.
                                        My L100 (12T) measured .45uH before installing.
                                        Circuit self resonates at 46.1Mhz (using 470pf for
                                        crystal).

                                        Have fun,
                                        Mike Collins KF4BQ
                                      • Dave
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 16, 2007
                                          > Which analyzer did you use?

                                          AIM4170, manually scanning and reading Rs at minimum Zmag. The
                                          Measure Crystal function seems not to be finding the correct
                                          resonances for some reason (Bob modified the PC app to eliminate the
                                          orignal 32MHz limit left over from the early days).

                                          Dave