Re: [softrock40] Low-jitter oscillator generates any frequency from 10 MHz to 1.4 GHz

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      At 02:21 PM 8/31/2007, you wrote:
      >I wrote Silicon Labs and ask: How does one compare the jitter spec
      >the way they
      >present it with the way it is represented for something like the ICS601.
      >This is the answer that I got (already). What do you think?
      >
      >"The Si570 has much lower jitter than this device. The ICS601 specifies period
      >jitter (one-sigma) of 18 ps typ, 25 ps max, measured at 125 MHz. The Si570
      >specifies period jitter (one-sigma) of 2 ps rms typ. The Si570 period jitter
      >specification applies to any output frequency and signal format (CMOS, LVPECL,
      >LVDS, CML)."

      I'm getting senile, I forgot to answer your email.

      That is good, I played with the ICS-601 and while using in a SoftRock
      the results were fairly good, if there was noise it was not
      noticeable with the 40M atmospheric noise. In layman's terms, I could
      not see or hear any noticeable difference between it and the crystal
      oscillator, the atmospheric noise was way higher than any noise from
      the device. This chip being better does not hurt, it would be nice if
      it worked out, so we could move around the band on the SoftRock. Add
      a Pic/AVR/MSP430/PicAxe chip and a keypad, display, and some buttons
      and one could be cruising the bands. I think a PicAxe might be
      interesting on this one for some quick and dirty Basic programming.

      In any case it might be a fun project, and before the purist get bent
      out of shape, not this will not compare to a new fancy AD9912 DDS
      with a 1 GHz clock.

      Cecil
      KD5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com