Re: [softrock40] Re: 14.100 at 48 kHz rate ...and other frequencies

  • Kees & Sandy
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2007

      True, Valpey-Fisher makes good stuff but it's a much more expensive. That's also the clock specification (digital output) which is even better than just a sine wave spec because you
      would still have to trigger digital logic VERY repeatably to avoid adding more jitter.

      The comparator output (which is a good one) on the AD9851 is spec'd to have a typical output jitter of <80ps. I wonder what the jitter is on a SoftRock at the output of the first FF where you have your first digital signal ?  or better yet, at the switches ?

      I think you will find that the digital jitter on a SoftRock (at the switches), when using a crystal oscillator or a DDS-60 as the LO, is substantial .......but I don't have any numbers. It may make +/-50ps look pretty good. And, although it matters, it really does not seem to effect  SoftRock operation to a great degree.

      73 Kees K5BCQ

      -- "w5sxd" <rca@...> wrote:

      50 ps is terrible phase jitter. The 200 MHz oscillator in the sdr-
      1000 is specified at less that one ps. I believe it is a Valpey-
      Fisher vf-160 and it's not cheap.

      Richard W5SXD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@ ...>
      wrote:

      > Has anyone tried the little ECS programmable oscillators (uses a
      crystal and one time programmable PLL). They are available for $6.70
      any frequency from 1Mhz to 150Mhz and are programmed for your
      specified frequency. Available in 8 pin DIP or SMT.