Snip, snip, snip, snip, .....

  • Ian Wade
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2007
      In message <6.1.2.0.2.20070730091947.05975ca0@...>, Len
      Warner <novost@...> writes

      >It is getting really difficult to follow this thread in the Digest.
      >
      >Not only...
      >are many messages top-posted so that
      >a) there is no introductory context and
      >b) the chronology of the quote is reversed;
      >
      >but also...
      > the quoting is excessive so that it is
      >a very long scroll to the next message.
      >
      >Then it gets posted under _three_ versions of the subject line

      [Snip]

      Len, I fully sympathize.

      There are two fundamental problems here:

      1. Yahoo is brain-dead. There's not a lot one can do about that.

      2. Some users are brain-dead and/or lazy and/or just don't think about
      the mess they're creating.

      Everyone, for goodness sake, PLEASE:
      1. When you want to talk about a NEW TOPIC, START A NEW THREAD. Don't
      just change the subject line of the article you happen to be reading and
      hit reply. To start a new thread, just start a NEW email addressed to
      softrock40@yahoogroups.com. As I said in another thread recently, don't
      bury your nuggets!

      2. Snip, till it hurts.

      3. Snip some more.

      4. And some more.

      5. Post in plain text, not HTML. Yahoo adds enough garbage without users
      adding any more.

      6. Don't top post. It's nonsense to say that it's easier and quicker to
      read the reply at the top, and if you want to find out more you can
      scroll down. As Len says, this makes it a NIGHTMARE to follow the
      thread. If you follow steps 2, 3 and 4 above, leaving only the smallest
      amount of relevant text that you're replying to, and follow it with your
      reply underneath, it makes it MUCH easier for most normal people to
      read.

      7. Make it clear what text you are quoting and who said it. Most
      mail/news readers prepend a quoted line with >. If your reader doesn't
      do that, then find some other way of quoting. It's really frustrating
      trying to follow a thread where you don't know if the text is from an
      earlier article or if it's part of the reply. And if the reply is
      top-posted as well ....

      Lecture over. You know it makes sense :-)

      Ian, G3NRW

      g3nrw@...
    • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2007
        On 7/30/07, Ian Wade <g3nrw@...> wrote:

        > 6. Don't top post. It's nonsense to say that it's easier and quicker to
        > read the reply at the top, and if you want to find out more you can
        > scroll down. As Len says, this makes it a NIGHTMARE to follow the
        > thread. If you follow steps 2, 3 and 4 above, leaving only the smallest
        > amount of relevant text that you're replying to, and follow it with your
        > reply underneath, it makes it MUCH easier for most normal people to
        > read.

        More here for those who are unaware:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting

        --