Re: [softrock40] Rocky 3.32

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hi Alex,

      Rocky 3.32 is running nicely on my 2.3 GHz P4 machine at between 20% and 29% of CPU with CW mode selected.  Selecting PSK31 mode results in CPU percent up to about 32%.

      Thanks very much for sharing Rocky with all of us!

      73,
      Tony KB9YIG

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2007
        Rocky is exceptional work.

        Dave
        ==========
        NAME: Dave
        QTH:  Pueblo, CO USA
        CALL: KA0SWT
        LAT:38.197344 LONG:-104.633100
        Grid square: DM78qe
        QSL: CW and BPSK31 QRP

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 3, 2007
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@...> wrote:

          The CPU overload reported by Jack K8ZOA was a big surprise to me, all
          previous reports indicated that Rocky was less CPU-hungry than other SDR
          programs.

          Alex,

          I think Jack has revised his report recently.
          http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/softrock_lite_6_2.htm

          Tom, AK2B
        • Tom Hall
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 3, 2007
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hall" <tom@...> wrote:

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@> wrote:
            > >
            > The CPU overload reported by Jack K8ZOA was a big surprise to me, all
            > previous reports indicated that Rocky was less CPU-hungry than other
            SDR
            > programs.
            > >

            > Alex,
            >
            > I think Jack has revised his report recently.
            > http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/softrock_lite_6_2.htm
            >
            > Tom, AK2B

            Just as an aside, I used a great utility called Process Explorer that
            is cable of looking at memory usage and cpu usage on a process by
            process basis. I originally got it for trouble shooting a problem where
            my hard disk kept spinning for extended periods of time. The program is
            like Task Manager on steroids and is free. www.sysinternals.com

            Tom, AK2B
          • Jack Smith
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 3, 2007
              Yes, what I found is the Dell SX260 desktop machines I use (have 3 of
              them) are painfully slow in graphic writes, despite having 2 GB RAM and
              a 2.8 GHz CPU.

              Dell saved money by partitioning 32 MB of the main memory to graphics
              use, instead of dedicated graphics memory. (The SX260 is a zero slot
              machine, so a replacement graphics card is not "in the cards" so to
              speak.) Hence, programs such as Rocky that are graphic intensive really
              bog down the CPU as graphic writes are slow.

              My Gateway duo-core laptop runs Rocky with 10% or less usage, full
              screen. (SX260 is about 74% CPU resources consumed when Rocky is full
              screen.) It has a separate graphics memory.

              The lesson from this is that Rocky is graphics intensive and, at least
              in the case of the SX260, the graphics processing overshadows the CPU
              required for the pure DSP work.

              I've addressed these new measurements at my Rocky web page.

              The next step is an external USB 2.0 sound card, which I hope to receive
              by the weekend.

              Jack K8ZOA

              Tom Hall wrote:

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Tom Hall" <tom@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > The CPU overload reported by Jack K8ZOA was a big surprise to me, all
              > > previous reports indicated that Rocky was less CPU-hungry than other
              > SDR
              > > programs.
              > > >

              > > Alex,
              > >
              > > I think Jack has revised his report recently.
              > > http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/softrock_lite_6_2.htm
              > <http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/softrock_lite_6_2.htm>
              > >
              > > Tom, AK2B
              > >
              > Just as an aside, I used a great utility called Process Explorer that
              > is cable of looking at memory usage and cpu usage on a process by
              > process basis. I originally got it for trouble shooting a problem where
              > my hard disk kept spinning for extended periods of time. The program is
              > like Task Manager on steroids and is free. www.sysinternals.com
              >
              > Tom, AK2B

            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 4, 2007
                Hi Charles,

                On the Rocky DSP setup screen, (View-Settings-DSP), you can select single band operation and enter any positve value for the SoftRock center frequency expressed in Hz.  If the IF frequency is below the SoftRock center frequency then the Rocky frequency readout can be set to give kHz from the IF frequency.  For example if the SoftRock center frequency was 2 kHz above the IF center frequency, then the center frequency entered in Rocky would be 2000.  Rocky would then show the IF center frequency as being at 0.00 kHz and signals within the IF passband would be + or - kHz from the IF center frequency.

                If the center frequency of the SoftRock is below the IF center frequency then the above does not work as well since Rocky will not accept negative SoftRock center frequencies.

                73,
                Tony KB9YIG

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Tony,

                  Ok, works fine. I get about +/- 20 KHz with 48K s/s using the Audigy
                  2ZS. A nice touch for an enhancement would be to have CAT for the
                  K2/K3 and read their dial frequency. Then you would see the
                  frequency sweep on Rocky when you tuned the transceiver.

                  I've looked at transmitting from the Softrock/Rocky with the K2, and
                  while possible (nearly everything is possible) it poses some major
                  problems and probably is not worth the effort.

                  Another nice enhancement would be to interface the audio from Rocky
                  to MTTY to run RTTY. You probably would need VAC.

                  73, Chas W1CG

                • Jose Bonanca
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
                    OK Chas,

                    If you use LINUX I will send you a LINK that describes the SHELL and the HAMLIB to execute. It was done for the Kenwood TS850SAT but I believe it can work with any implemented radio.

                    My apologies for the author of the page. It is just informative.

                    73

                    --
                    Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
                  • Charles Greene
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Jose,

                      I don't use Linux any more. Tnx for the offer.

                      73, Chas W1CG

                      At 08:09 AM 9/5/2007, you wrote:
                      >OK Chas,
                      >
                      >If you use LINUX I will send you a LINK that describes the SHELL and
                      >the HAMLIB to execute. It was done for the Kenwood TS850SAT but I
                      >believe it can work with any implemented radio.
                      >
                      >My apologies for the author of the page. It is just informative.
                      >
                      >73
                      ---snip---
                    • Charles Greene
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2007
                        Tony,

                        I got the Softrock for 4.915 Mhz today, Tnx. I downloaded the
                        Builders Notes. Where is a parts placement diagram and a schematic I
                        can download?

                        73, Chas
                      • Tony Parks
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 8, 2007
                          Hi Chas,

                          The generic schematic for the SoftRock Lite is in the same folder with the
                          builder's notes for the SoftRock Lite kit. The path through the SoftRock 40
                          Yahoo group files area is: Files > SoftRock v6.0 docs > SoftRock Lite docs.

                          The paper that came with your kit lists changes in component values for the
                          IF specific kit.

                          Hope the kit build goes well.

                          73,
                          Tony KB9YIG