Re: [softrock40] newbie question

  • Tim Gorman
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
      The connections are good. The instructions are just the teeniest bit vague.

      Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and used as
      the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired back to the one
      of the "beginning" ends with that connection becoming the center tap?

      tim ab0wr

    • Tim Gorman
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
        On Sunday 01 July 2007 16:29, scott schoech wrote:

        Oh golly, you aren't alone in having to try multiple times to get things
        right. I've been doing this for over 40years and its an occasion for
        celebration when it all comes together the first time.

        As the old going says, you don't learn much from your successes! It's your
        failures that build character.

        tim ab0wr

      • Lyle Koehler, K0LR
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gorman <ab0wr@...> wrote:

          > Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and
          > used as the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired
          > back to the one of the "beginning" ends with that connection
          > becoming the center tap?

          Only one wire goes through each of the six circuit board holes. Make
          sure that you have marked the primary winding with spray paint or
          something like a "Sharpie" type of indelible marker so that you can
          distinguish it from the secondary windings. Untwist the ends of the
          bifilar secondary windings so that the wires are separated, and
          identify which secondary wires go together with an ohmmeter. Then
          arrange the 6 wires coming out of the core so that, with the wires
          pointing down, you have the primary winding on the right, one
          secondary winding (doesn't matter which one) in the middle, and the
          other one on the left. All wires coming out of one side of the core
          must be on the top, and all wires coming out of the other side of the
          core must be on the bottom. Insert all six wires into their individual
          holes, making sure that they don't get mixed up, and solder the leads
          in place. A circuit board trace connects the top of one secondary
          winding to the bottom of the other secondary to make the center tap.

          Good luck!

          Lyle, K0LR
        • Lonnie Ahlfinger
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
            Attached is a photo of a Softrock Light transformer I made, I used a little clear gelled or thickened Acrylic Cement to hold the wires in place, it drys within 10 to 20 seconds. The primary wires I left a little longer, and also marked the primary side with a black dot. The wires were tinned using a soldering iron tip with a Little extra solder on the end, and gently pushing the wire through and working back and forth while adding a little extra solder to use the flux action to peal of and tin the wires, no scraping so the wires are not damaged. The tinning in the pic looks black, from reflections, but is fully tinned and shiny.

            Lonnie Walker - W6WQ

          • Roderick Wall
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007

              Hi Tim,

              When I wound my coils, I made the leads for the bifilar windings shorter and left the leads long for the other single winding. Easy, the ones twisted together are the bifilar windings just cut them shorter.

              After cleaning the enamel from the magnet wires, I used an ohm meter to ensure the bifilar winding leads were in the correct position (with 3 each leads on side of the Core) before placing them into their correct holes in the PCBoard as shown in the builder's notes. Before soldering, I then checked on the PCBoard for the track that connects the two bifilar windings together at the center point, if the track is not connecting two short leads from the bifilar windings then It is not correct. Solder the leads then trim them.

              That's how I did it :-),

              73,

              Roderick Wall, VK3BKO.

              The connections are good. The instructions are just the teeniest bit vague.

              Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and used as
              the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired back to the one
              of the "beginning" ends with that connection becoming the center tap?

              tim ab0wr

              On Sunday 01 July 2007 16:05, Jeffrey Peters wrote:
              > Tim,
              >
              > Make sure you have scraped the enamel coating of the
              > wire ends. Also look to see you have solder the wire
              > ends into the correct holes on the board. I know this
              > because of a softrock I purchased from ebay. That unit
              > had the secondary windings soldered to the extra holes
              > on the side of the core position.
              >
              > Take a test lead attached to an antenna and touch each
              > solder connection from the antenna input though the
              > first input stage. You should find a spot where the
              > signal increases.
              >
              > Hope, this helps.
              >
              > Jeff - K9JP
              >
              > --- Tony Parks <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:
              > > Hi Tim,
              > >
              > > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not
              > > wired correctly the sensitivity of the receiver will
              > > be greatly reduced. The builder's notes give
              > > information on the correct wiring of T1 to the
              > > circuit board.
              > >
              > > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a
              > > fraction of 1 uV.
              > >
              > > 73,
              > > Tony KB9YIG

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Tim Gorman
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                Good morning, all.

                Ok, I've redone the transformer. I don't think it is the problem. I still have
                poor sensitivity.

                I also noticed that if I tune my rf generator to 3528.6khz I also have an
                image at 3528.4khz, i.e. 600khz above the center frequency and 600khz below
                the center frequency. The image is weaker than the main signal (about 6db).
                Is this normal?

                I've checked all the clock signals to the various chips and they look ok. I
                don't know what the output of the QSD and the inputs to the op amps should
                look like. Has anyone posted a scope trace I can compare to?

                tim ab0wr

              • Tony Parks
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                  Hi Tim,

                  Bill, KD5TFD, has pictures on his website of measurements on a v6.0  SoftRock RX.  The measurements should also apply to the SoftRock Lite except the overall gain of the SoftRock Lite has been reduced by 14 dB.  Please see:

                  Have you installed a jumper wire at JP1 between holes 2 and 3, the x8 setting?  Also RF input is connected between ANT IN and RTN for proper operation.

                  73,
                  Tony KB9YIG

                  Ok, I've redone the transformer. I don't think it is the problem. I still have
                  poor sensitivity.

                  I also noticed that if I tune my rf generator to 3528.6khz I also have an
                  image at 3528.4khz, i.e. 600khz above the center frequency and 600khz below
                  the center frequency. The image is weaker than the main signal (about 6db).
                  Is this normal?

                  I've checked all the clock signals to the various chips and they look ok. I
                  don't know what the output of the QSD and the inputs to the op amps should
                  look like. Has anyone posted a scope trace I can compare to?

                  tim ab0wr

                  On Sunday 01 July 2007 23:33, Roderick Wall wrote:
                  > Hi Tim,
                  >
                  > When I wound my coils, I made the leads for the bifilar windings shorter
                  > and left the leads long for the other single winding. Easy, the ones
                  > twisted together are the bifilar windings just cut them shorter.
                  >
                  > After cleaning the enamel from the magnet wires, I used an ohm meter to
                  > ensure the bifilar winding leads were in the correct position (with 3 each
                  > leads on side of the Core) before placing them into their correct holes in
                  > the PCBoard as shown in the builder's notes. Before soldering, I then
                  > checked on the PCBoard for the track that connects the two bifilar windings
                  > together at the center point, if the track is not connecting two short
                  > leads from the bifilar windings then It is not correct. Solder the leads
                  > then trim them.
                  >
                  > That's how I did it :-),
                  >
                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Roderick Wall, VK3BKO.

                • Tim Gorman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                    Yep. All jumpers installed. It *does* see RF. It just doesn't have very good
                    sensitivity. And I am concerned about the image on either side of the center
                    frequency. That just doesn't sound right.

                    tim ab0wr

                  • Tony Parks
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                      Hi Tim,

                      Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.

                      73,
                      Tony KB9YIG
                      Yep. All jumpers installed. It *does* see RF. It just doesn't have very good
                      sensitivity. And I am concerned about the image on either side of the center
                      frequency. That just doesn't sound right.

                      tim ab0wr

                      On Monday 02 July 2007 09:28, Tony Parks wrote:
                      > Hi Tim,
                      >
                      > Bill, KD5TFD, has pictures on his website of measurements on a v6.0
                      > SoftRock RX. The measurements should also apply to the SoftRock Lite
                      > except the overall gain of the SoftRock Lite has been reduced by 14 dB.
                      > Please see:
                      >
                      > http://ewjt. com/kd5tfd/ sdr1k-notebook/ sr40/sr6- production/ index.html
                      >
                      > Have you installed a jumper wire at JP1 between holes 2 and 3, the x8
                      > setting? Also RF input is connected between ANT IN and RTN for proper
                      > operation.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Tony KB9YIG

                    • Tim Gorman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                        Tony,

                        They do have, or at least they did.

                        In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to the
                        circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to see if
                        the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my wrist
                        strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I didn't blow
                        something.

                        I'll let you know.

                        tim ab0wr

                        On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                        > Hi Tim,
                        >
                        > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of about
                        > 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        > Tony KB9YIG

                      • Bruce Rahn
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                          Tony Parks wrote:

                          > Hi Tim,
                          >
                          > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not wired correctly the
                          > sensitivity of the receiver will be greatly reduced. The builder's
                          > notes give information on the correct wiring of T1 to the circuit board.
                          >
                          > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a fraction of 1 uV.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Tony KB9YIG

                          Tony,

                          Is there a published list of nominal sensitivity values any where?

                          Thanks!

                          Bruce, WB9ANQ

                          --
                          Bruce Rahn

                          Wisdom has two parts:
                          1. having a lot to say; and
                          2. not saying it!
                        • Tim Gorman
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                            Ok, I must have had some cockpit problems with the software. Everything seems
                            to be working as it was.

                            Is there any reason the secondary winding has to be bifilar wound? It just
                            looks like a center tapped secondary to me from the schematic. Perhaps I'll
                            just wind a 12 turn, center tapped secondary and see what happens.

                            tim ab0wr

                            On Monday 02 July 2007 16:09, Tim Gorman wrote:
                            > Tony,
                            >
                            > They do have, or at least they did.
                            >
                            > In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to
                            > the circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to
                            > see if the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my
                            > wrist strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I
                            > didn't blow something.
                            >
                            > I'll let you know.
                            >
                            > tim ab0wr
                            >
                            > On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                            > > Hi Tim,
                            > >
                            > > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of
                            > > about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                            > >
                            > > 73,
                            > > Tony KB9YIG

                          • Tony Parks
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                              Hi Tim,

                              It probably is desirable to have the two secondary windings of T1 wound bifilar.

                              If T1 is mounted correctly the resistance from each secondary hole of the six hole pattern, (four left most holes),  will have a resistance to ground of a little more than 700 ohms and the resistances will be the same.

                              Wires coming out one side of the core go to the three holes next to the edge of the board.  The wires coming out the other side of the core go to the three inboard holes.  Pari up the leads as to secondary and primary windings with an ohmmeter.  The first secondary winding goes to the two left most holes, one near the edge of the board and one inboard.  The next secondary winding goes to the middle two holes and the primary winding goes to the two right most holes.

                              Were you able to measure the DC voltage on pins 1 and 7 of U5 with reference to ground?

                              73,
                              Tony KB9YIG

                              Ok, I must have had some cockpit problems with the software. Everything seems
                              to be working as it was.

                              Is there any reason the secondary winding has to be bifilar wound? It just
                              looks like a center tapped secondary to me from the schematic. Perhaps I'll
                              just wind a 12 turn, center tapped secondary and see what happens.

                              tim ab0wr

                              On Monday 02 July 2007 16:09, Tim Gorman wrote:
                              > Tony,
                              >
                              > They do have, or at least they did.
                              >
                              > In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to
                              > the circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to
                              > see if the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my
                              > wrist strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I
                              > didn't blow something.
                              >
                              > I'll let you know.
                              >
                              > tim ab0wr
                              >
                              > On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                              > > Hi Tim,
                              > >
                              > > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of
                              > > about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                              > >
                              > > 73,
                              > > Tony KB9YIG

                            • Tim Gorman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                Tony,

                                Thanks for the encouragement. I finally found it.

                                I rewound T1 as just a center-tapped secondary of 12 windings and VOILA!, it
                                now works. I don't know what I was doing in phasing those bifilar windings
                                wrong on the secondary but I could NOT get them right no matter how hard I
                                tried.

                                I need to check the balance and make sure it is ok but it looks good on the
                                spectrum display.

                                What should an S9 signal read on the Db display on the left side when using
                                Rocky? It looks to me like an average signal runs about 25-28db. The display
                                at the bottom shows about -37db for such a signal. Does this sound about
                                right? Noise shows about a -61db on the display at the bottom of the Rocky
                                window as well.

                                Again, thanks for the help. Let me know if my center-tapped winding should
                                just be considered a stop-gap and if I need to truly use a bifilar winding.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                  Tony,

                                  We are passing ships in the ether!

                                  Identifying the primary leads aren't a problem. It seems to be the phasing of
                                  the secondaries I keep getting wrong.

                                  I'm going to play with the radio tonite since it's working and will try and
                                  redo the transformer tomorrow!

                                  The instructions you have here make sense. I suspect I was shuffling the leads
                                  trying to make sense of how they should go and was getting the two set up in
                                  a "bucking" mode instead of in a phased mode.

                                  Another question on a different subject. Does anyone make SDR software that
                                  decodes RTTY and Pactor I? I cannot seem to get PowerSDR to run on my Win98SE
                                  installation (it just keeps hanging when trying to initialize the DSP) and
                                  the external sound card I ordered for my XP laptop isn't here yet.

                                  This looks like it is going to work out for me well. I want to run some
                                  experiments on speech bandwidths versus intelligibility and need an easy way
                                  to vary bandwidths in the receiver and transmitter. This looks like it just
                                  the thing! And inexpensive as well!!!

                                  73,

                                  tim ab0wr