5 v resistance test off some

  • Steven Gorkowski
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi everyone

      I reached the first resistance test and the reading on
      the 5v line is 695 ohm using 2 meters fluke 87 and my
      PC interface radio shack meter. Q1 Q7 Q8 is installed
      and J2 is installed . I did NOT install Q3 Q5 Q6.
      When I sorted the resistors I first sorted by color
      codes and put paper in the bottom of the bins with the
      value marked on it. Took my meter and measured all the
      resistor values and counted Qty and compared it to
      BOM. All the qtys are correct but 4.99k had two extra.
      I also had 2 smt caps as well. When soldering I took
      each bin and put the resistors on the table and
      remeasured each resistor then soldered it into the
      board. This was repeated for every resistor. At the
      end of the resistors I only had the 2 extra resistors
      that I found early on and could not find any open
      places to install any resistors. I could have
      installed them improperly but everything is double
      checked. I don't think I could have hooked one side
      thru a feedthru because the hole is too small. Is
      there any silk screen errors. I will chase this down
      if I am not missing anything.

      You guys made a great kit and support it well and keep
      up the good work.

      Thanks

      Steve
      KB4MXO

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
        Hi Steve,

        Your resistance reading is enough off that I think there may be a resistor or two not installed properly.  Please look carefully at the mounting positions of R15 and R16.  If these resistors were mounted with their lead pairs in a horizontal row rather than in the vertical column the resistance from 5v to ground would be lowered below the slightly more than 800 ohms value that is correct.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
          Hi Tony

          After looking at the resistors R15 and R16 I put them
          in the wrong direction. Removing them now and
          installing them properly.

          Thanks

          Steve
          KB4MXO

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • Philip Hahn
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
            Yup, R15 and R16 got me too the first time around. Of course the markings are right there on the board, for some reason the parts just wanted to go in the other direction :P

            Philip

            --- Tony Parks < raparks@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > Your resistance reading is enough off that I think
            > there may be a resistor or two not installed
            > properly.  Please look carefully at the mounting
            > positions of R15 and R16.  If these resistors were
            > mounted with their lead pairs in a horizontal row
            > rather than in the vertical column the resistance
            > from 5v to ground would be lowered below the
            > slightly more than 800 ohms value that is correct.
            >
            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto: softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Steven Gorkowski
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
              Hi Phil

              I figured someone ran into this problem and had the
              fix. I now have the 814 ohm reading on the 5v bus. Its
              a blast to build this board.

              Steve
              Kb4mxo

              Need a vacation? Get great deals
              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
              http://travel.yahoo.com/
            • Philip Hahn
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2007
                Yup, me too. Mine is complete however I have no phone jack plugs :/ Further testing and use will have to wait until tomorrow ...

                awaiting anxiously,

                Phil, KI4VUP