Re: [softrock40] Re: VFO Softrock... (I just got over the SMT/SDM jitters...)

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2007
      >Thanks for the link. Actually any of the above would work.
      >But after reading the data sheets the 601 looks like the
      >best deal
      >
      >Where is a good place to buy the ICS-601?

      There is the rub, when I made the group buy I bought both the 501 and
      the 601 from ICS directly, but I bought several hundred of each and
      was able to get a considerable discount. At the time there was a $50
      minimum orders but now they are owned by someone else so most likely
      the rules have changed.

      The 601 has about 1/2 the noise of the 501 but the 501 worked just
      fine with the SoftRock. I used a low frequency crystal and was able
      to get 80M, 40M, and several shortwave bands out of one crystal by
      changing the multiplier setting through jumpers on a header.

      Another chip worth looking at is the ICS-307, it's not a LOCO
      but programmable synthesizer in one chip for a couple of dollars,
      it's output can go from 250KHz to about 160MHz. It uses a high speed
      serial port for the frequency programming and a reference crystal or
      reference input, it has digital outputs.

      I'm at present building up a list of parts to try to do another group
      buy, the 501 and the 601 are already on the list.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com