Re: SoftRock SDR SSB

  • w7qjq
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2007
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Rexroad <ab1cr@...> wrote:

      > The SoftRock radios appear to be for the CW portion of the band. Is
      > there any way to modify these for the SSB portion of the band (40 or
      20
      > in particular)? I'm brand new to this so please pardon the question
      but
      > I could not find anything searching the Yahoo group of using Google
      > search the general Internet.
      >
      > Any thoughts of suggestions would be appreciated.
      >
      > 73,
      > Chuck
      > AB1CR

      The "economic" answer to that question is similar to to the answer one
      might get from an engine builder...
      Q: "How much horsepower can I expect from that engine?"
      A: "How much money do you want to spend?"

      Since the SoftRock operating frequency is primarily determined by the
      xtal frequency (operating_freq*4) , you have the option of using a $1
      off-the-shelf xtal from Mouser or Digikey or a $20 to $30 custom-cut
      xtal from one of several sources. As you scan the available (and
      suitable for ham bands) frequencies in the catalog, it becomes
      apparent that it is slim pickins. Want still more horsepower and
      don't want to be bound to a rock? Then a VFO is appropriate...
      analog... DDS...VCO/PLL...
      You pays your money and you takes your choice.

      I am currently designing a VCO/PLL solution but it will be awhile.
      The DDS option has been discussed umpteen times in the Forum and Files
      and Photos. You have a (stable) RF signal generator? That works too.

      73, Sid W7QJQ
      Oklahoma