Re Softrock Lite V6.2 Boards.

  • lorisann2004
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2007
      1. What other accessories or interfaces are required to allow RX and TX
      with an ICOM IC-718?

      2. Does the SDR system require 2 Antenna's? ie 1 for RX and 1 For TX, I
      use a G5RV for HF communications.

      3. Are there any other VK's in the group?

      Regards Tony de VK6ATI
    • Tony Langdon
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2007
        At 12:47 PM 6/1/2007, you wrote:

        >1. What other accessories or interfaces are required to allow RX and TX
        >with an ICOM IC-718?

        Dunno. I'm planning on running mine standalone (would like to be
        able to transvert to 2 metres eventually).

        >2. Does the SDR system require 2 Antenna's? ie 1 for RX and 1 For TX, I
        >use a G5RV for HF communications.

        No, can use a changeover same as any other HF rig.

        >3. Are there any other VK's in the group?

        Yes (read below) ;)

        73 de VK3JED
        http://vkradio.com
      • Tony Argentino
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Tony,

          Many thanks for the quick rely to my request, 3 of us have just ordered the
          80M kits so we are trying to come to grips with what's required so any help
          gratefully received.

          73 Tony.

          >>1. What other accessories or interfaces are required to allow RX and TX
          >>with an ICOM IC-718?
          >
          > Dunno. I'm planning on running mine standalone (would like to be
          > able to transvert to 2 metres eventually).
          >

          >>2. Does the SDR system require 2 Antenna's? ie 1 for RX and 1 For TX, I
          >>use a G5RV for HF communications.
          >
          > No, can use a changeover same as any other HF rig.
          >

          >>3. Are there any other VK's in the group?
          >
          > Yes (read below) ;)
          >
          > 73 de VK3JED
          > http://vkradio.com

        • k9jk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            Is there a bit of confusion here?

            "SoftRock Lite", as I am interpretting things, is JUST for receive
            and, again from my interpretation, has not been 'upgraded' from it's
            initial release ('v6' or 'v6.0').

            It's just the "SoftRock TXRX" that has gone from initial 'v6' level
            to 'v6.1' and, as KB9YIG collects all the parts, to 'v6.2'.

            Or have >I< missed something in MY reading of things?

            Maybe 'the big Tony' (KB9YIG) can clarify.

            73, JK

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Argentino" <targenti@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Tony,
            >
            > Many thanks for the quick rely to my request, 3 of us have just
            ordered the
            > 80M kits so we are trying to come to grips with what's required so
            any help
            > gratefully received.
            >
            > 73 Tony.

          • Tony Parks
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
              Hi JK,

              The SoftRock Lite kit is a cost reduced version of the v6.0 SoftRock receiver kit.  Each SoftRock Lite kit is for a single band with 160m through 20m kits available.  A little bit of receiver performance was given up in favor of a $4 reduction in the kit price to $10 for US/Canada and $11 for DX.

              The upgrade on the RXTXv6.1 transceiver kit to the RXTXv6.2 transceiver kit was to reduce the cost a bit and make the kit a little easier to build.

              Thanks and 73,
              Tony KB9YIG

              wrote:

              > Hi Tony,
              >
              > Many thanks for the quick rely to my request, 3 of us have just
              ordered the
              > 80M kits so we are trying to come to grips with what's required so
              any help
              > gratefully received.
              >
              > 73 Tony.

            • k9jk
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
                Thanks Tony,

                The references to SoftRock Lite and TRANSMITTING/v6.2 that the "VK
                Tonys" made 'confused' me and, as a while I HAD researched the Group
                Archives, I AM a newcomer so reference to "Lite" and "6.2"
                *together* made me question what I thought I had determined.

                I HAD, however, missed the subtlety that "Lite" was 'cost-reduced'
                from the v6.0 receiver.

                I'll keep digging and, hopefully, will get it 'all' straight
                eventually.

                YOUR effort and support of the message board and the project kits is
                MUCH appreciated.

                73, JK

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

                > Hi JK,
                >
                > The SoftRock Lite kit is a cost reduced version of the v6.0
                SoftRock receiver kit. Each SoftRock Lite kit is for a single band
                with 160m through 20m kits available. A little bit of receiver
                performance was given up in favor of a $4 reduction in the kit price
                to $10 for US/Canada and $11 for DX.

                > The upgrade on the RXTXv6.1 transceiver kit to the RXTXv6.2
                transceiver kit was to reduce the cost a bit and make the kit a
                little easier to build.

                > Thanks and 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • Roderick Wall
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Hi Tony,

                  Yes, I am a member my call is VK3BKO. I have only just joined the group and I have ordered two Transceiver kits, one is a RXTXv6.2 80 Meter kit, and the other is the RXTXv6.2 40M/30M kit. And I will also order the RXTXv6.2 20m kit when it is available. They are cheap being around US$32.00 each (AUD$39.00 at today's exchange rate via PayPal).

                  I don't know much about the Lite versions but I thought that they are receivers only, I will leave this for someone else to answer.

                  The RXTXv6.2 kits have only one connection to the aerial. If you go to the files for this group you will find the circuits for the RXTXv6.2 Transceivers.

                  You may also find what you are looking for in the files for the group, there is even information on adding a linear amplifier to the earlier version RXTXv6.1 kit that covers 80M and 40m.

                  Roderick Wall, VK3BKO.

                  1. What other accessories or interfaces are required to allow RX and TX
                  with an ICOM IC-718?

                  2. Does the SDR system require 2 Antenna's? ie 1 for RX and 1 For TX, I
                  use a G5RV for HF communications.

                  3. Are there any other VK's in the group?

                  Regards Tony de VK6ATI

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.