Re: Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA Sound Card

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2007
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Hall" <flntlock@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone have experience with this sound card? I am using a Dell
      > laptop and this card appears to have specifications comparable with
      the
      > M-Audio 9900 and am considering buying one.
      >
      > Thanks for your help and comments.
      >
      > 73,
      > Ken
      > W2KRH
      >
      > PS: Ordered a RXTX v6.2 earlier today.

      I have used one, in fact it is in my bench laptop running with Rocky
      and a SoftRock-like receiver right now on 40 meters.

      It works OK, it is not the best, but for an inexpensive card for a
      laptop computer, it is the best choice. There is no support for
      Linux for record, so don't plan to use it as an SDR input under Linux.

      If you can afford it, a Firewire card would be better. But, be
      prepared to spend a few hundred dollars for one.

      I think the last issue of QST reviewed various sound cards, includint
      the Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA. They kind of panned it, but there are very
      few options for laptop use.

      I use the Audigy PCMCIA for SoftRock Rx and Tx IF signals, and the
      internal laptop sound card for audio out and mic in. This works
      under Rocky, which requires separate sound cards. Under PowerSDR, I
      have only done CW, as PowerSDR doesn't like two sound card operation,
      eliminating a mic input.

      The Audigy PCMCIA card has two outputs (line out and speaker out),
      but only one input, which is selected between mic and line. It's the
      same input jack, so you cannot feed both the receive QSD signal and a
      mic input. At one time, I was going to build an audio switching
      system for SoftRock transmitting, but haven't gotten to it yet.

      Hope that helps.
      Terry