RE: [softrock40] Built/Tested SoftRock40 receivers

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2005
      The custom solder mask isn't necessary and they are expensive. For
      users who are putting one softrock together, they are a bad investment.

      For people who are putting them together in mass production, the
      solder mask is invaluable.

      The solder mask allows one to deposit just the right amount of paste
      solder in the right location in just a few seconds. The mask is then
      (carefully) removed after the paste is applied and the components are placed.

      After the components are placed, they can be soldered all at once by
      placing the board in a toaster oven and heating the oven to the right
      temperature. A small toaster oven will solder 3 softrock-40 boards all at once.

      The paste is pricey and the toaster oven has to be dedicated for
      soldering only (no food is safe to consume after the oven has been
      used for soldering in this manner).

      I hope to assemble mine using paste, but will solder it with a
      pyropen, which is a butane hot air source with a twist. In the tip of
      the pyropen, there is a special catalyst screen that removes oxygen
      from the hot air output stream. This means the solder can't oxidize
      as it is heated. So, the finished product is much higher in quality.

      There was a recent discussion on the PICLIST about soldering using
      advanced methods.

      Regards,

      Art