Re: [softrock40] Re: Interference from PC?

  • KY1K
    Message 1 of 41 , Sep 18, 2005
      I'm brand spankin' new to the group so didn't see the original thread.

      Expecting a sensitive receiver to operate just inches away from a
      wideband noise source is optimistic (IMHO). For best results, it
      needs shielding just like any other receiver and or transmitter does.

      Computer noise might not show up as clean carriers or be identifiable
      by tuning across the band. It appears as an elevated noise floor most
      of the time, which sounds like background noise. I'm sure many people
      have interference from their own computers and most don't even
      realize it's there because it sounds rather like normal atmospheric noise.

      For absolute best results, shield it. For casual listening on a
      crowded band, don't worry about it and run it as supplied.

      My softrock-40 is going on LF when I get it and it will be located
      away from the computer and shielded. Switching supplies, florescent
      lamps and computer interference is pretty severe at 190 kHz and I
      want to have good reception. I'm even considering magnetic shielding
      due to the nature of the interference at these frequencies.

      Regards,

      Art

      >The supply from the USB connector is 5V. Are you using a separate power
      >supply?

    • Bob Hillard
      Message 41 of 41 , Oct 29, 2005
        Rein,

        When I operate on the low bands (40M thru 160M) I have to turn off my
        PC's. In fact I sometimes have had to unplug them completely, as the
        power supply isn't completely off when the On/Off switch is in the Off
        position.

        I found the problem to be caused by the computer's switching power
        supply. In fact I lost a power supply in one of my computers recenly,
        and replaced it with a better grade supply, and then was happy to find
        that the noise from that computer was gone.

        Try unplugging your computer completely and see if that quiets things
        down.

        Bob WA6UFQ