Re: [softrock40] Re: Making a SoftRock V6 and similar Multiband HF SDR RX

  • FRANCIS CARCIA
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2007
      I have an old handbook that has 4 tubes configured as an h mode mixer to generate DSB.
      sorry a bit before FETS and switches. fc

      Giancarlo <i7swx@...> wrote:
      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "tom_iphi" <iphi@...> wrote:

      > P.S.
      >
      > > The plot is simple ... hi... well in the bottom horizontal line
      you
      > > have the input power in dBm, while on the vertical the IMD 3rd
      order
      > > values in dBm. From there you can calculate the IP3.
      >
      > From that I can only calculate the IP3 if I know the conversion
      loss of
      > the mixer.
      > Example:
      > Say 10dBm input power, 6dB conversion loss
      > => 4dBm output power
      > IMD3 at -50dBm
      > => IMD3 at -54dBc on output
      > => Input IP3 = 10dBm +54/2dBm = 37dBm
      >
      > correct?
      >
      > Tom DG8SAQ

      Hi Tom,

      that's right. BTW average conversion loss of 2T H-Mode Mixer is
      around -5dB or less. <there is a configuration that may increase CL
      up to < -7dBm with generally an increase in IP3.

      "Voices" are saying that the H-Mode Mixer has been integrated in a
      new military receiver ... certainly the G3SBI 3 transformers
      version ... imagine the military winding the I7SWX special
      transformer ... it will never work ...hi !

      73

      Gian
      I7SWX

    • Giancarlo
      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2007
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

        > I have an old handbook that has 4 tubes configured as an h mode
        mixer to generate DSB.
        > sorry a bit before FETS and switches. fc

        Hi Francis,

        thanks for your note. I have not seen such circuit and it would be
        interesting to see it.

        My feeling is that such circuit could be similar to the original
        mixer developed by Oxner ... a guess.
        The H-Mode Mixer was developed by G3SBI, modifying the Oxner design
        in such a way that the LO signals do not modulate the RF one. This is
        done taking the transformer windings to ground. My contributions were
        only the use of Fast Bus Switches like FST3125 and the like, this
        time in 1998, and then the simplified version using two transformers.

        73

        Gian
        I7SWX
      • FRANCIS CARCIA
        Message 3 of 25 , May 2, 2007
          Hi Gian,
          Look at page 338 and 339 of the Radio Handbook by Bill Orr. addition fifteen 1959
          and you will see the H mode mixer and four phase switch (tubes) used to generate SSB.
          No Oxner never thought of referencing the FETs to ground. He always did a ring or single balanced mixer. I have his app notes.
          The solid state H mode mixer is a very good idea but it isn't new. G3SBI did a good job on this mixer and the performance is hard to beat!  frank wa1gfz

          Message 4 of 25 , May 2, 2007
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

            > Hi Gian,
            > Look at page 338 and 339 of the Radio Handbook by Bill Orr.
            addition fifteen 1959
            > and you will see the H mode mixer and four phase switch (tubes)
            used to generate SSB.
            > No Oxner never thought of referencing the FETs to ground. He
            always did a ring or single balanced mixer. I have his app notes.
            > The solid state H mode mixer is a very good idea but it isn't
            new. G3SBI did a good job on this mixer and the performance is hard
            to beat! frank wa1gfz

            HI Frank,

            thanks for the info .... Bill Orr is in QRT somewhere ... but where
            do you think am I going to recuperate hi Radio Handbook date 1959 on
            this side of the pond? I am sorry I am not travelling anymore to W-
            land so I connot visit any library.

            It would be interesting if you could copy the two pages and upload
            the file in files.

            Thanks and 73

            Gian
            I7SWX

            > Giancarlo <i7swx@...> wrote:
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA
            <carcia@> wrote:

            > > I have an old handbook that has 4 tubes configured as an h mode
            > mixer to generate DSB.
            > > sorry a bit before FETS and switches. fc
            > >

            > Hi Francis,
            >
            > thanks for your note. I have not seen such circuit and it would be
            > interesting to see it.
            >
            > My feeling is that such circuit could be similar to the original
            > mixer developed by Oxner ... a guess.
            > The H-Mode Mixer was developed by G3SBI, modifying the Oxner design
            > in such a way that the LO signals do not modulate the RF one. This
            is
            > done taking the transformer windings to ground. My contributions
            were
            > only the use of Fast Bus Switches like FST3125 and the like, this
            > time in 1998, and then the simplified version using two
            transformers.

            > 73
            >
            > Gian
            > I7SWX

          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 25 , May 2, 2007

              Hi Gian,
              go to the link above and down load it for free. frank

            • Lawrence
              Message 6 of 25 , May 2, 2007
                > Giancarlo wrote:
                >
                > thanks for the info .... Bill Orr is in QRT somewhere ...
                > but where
                > do you think am I going to recuperate hi Radio Handbook
                > date 1959 on
                > this side of the pond? I am sorry I am not travelling
                > anymore to W-
                > land so I connot visit any library.

                It just happens that I have a copy of that edition of the
                handbook. I will scan those pages for you.

                73, Lawrence GJ3RAX
              • Giancarlo
                Message 7 of 25 , May 3, 2007
                  Hi Frank,

                  thanks for the dowloading address. I have found the ARRL 1959 edition
                  not Bill Orr Handbook.

                  73

                  Gian
                  I7SWX

                • Giancarlo
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 3, 2007
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <lawrence@...> wrote:

                    > > Giancarlo wrote:
                    > >
                    > > thanks for the info .... Bill Orr is in QRT somewhere ...
                    > > but where
                    > > do you think am I going to recuperate hi Radio Handbook
                    > > date 1959 on
                    > > this side of the pond? I am sorry I am not travelling
                    > > anymore to W-
                    > > land so I connot visit any library.
                    >
                    > It just happens that I have a copy of that edition of the
                    > handbook. I will scan those pages for you.
                    >
                    > 73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

                    Hi Lawrence,

                    thanks if it is not a problem.

                    Was your long time ago (1996?) trip to VE good?

                    73

                    Gian
                    I7SWX
                  • FRANCIS CARCIA
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 3, 2007
                      Gian,
                      You misread it. Check again. "it was a bigger seller than the ARRL handbook"
                      Back then the West coast guys were the QRO kings.......The Bible for them was written by Bill Orr. It was often called the West coast Handbook. fc

                    • Giancarlo
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 4, 2007
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

                        > Gian,
                        > You misread it. Check again. "it was a bigger seller than the
                        ARRL handbook"
                        > Back then the West coast guys were the QRO kings.......The Bible
                        for them was written by Bill Orr. It was often called the West coast
                        Handbook. fc

                        > Giancarlo <i7swx@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Frank,
                        >
                        > thanks for the dowloading address. I have found the ARRL 1959
                        edition
                        > not Bill Orr Handbook.
                        >
                        > 73
                        >
                        > Gian