Re: [softrock40] Some Basic Questions

  • Chris Albertson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2007
      --- g3zoh <george.familyuk@...> wrote:

      > Guys, I have been following this list with interest and am about to
      > embark on a first attempt at building a Softrock kit.....

      Do you need two sound cards?

      You need "something" to connect to the Softrock. For RX only
      the SR connects to the sound card's input. For TX you need to
      connect to the sound card's output. If you think about it, it
      makes sense that an RX would need to _send_ data to the PC and
      an RXTX would need to go both directions. Remember what is
      send is a modulated waveform not audio. Think of it as "IF".
      modulation/demod is done in software in the computer. You have
      a large choise of software at least half a dozen and there are
      some easy drag and drop methods to "write" (more like "draw")
      your own.

      If you
      want to hear anything you need something to drive some speakers and if
      you'd like to speak into radio you need something to connect to
      the microphone. So in the full-up RXTX case you have one sound
      card connecting you to the computer and another connecting the SR40
      to the computers. Use the higher quality card to connect the radio.
      But you don't have to do the full up case. I'd recommend starting slow
      with RX only on one band.

      Will your version of MS Windows work? I don't know I don't use
      Windows.

      Chris Albertson
      Home: 310-376-1029 chrisalbertson90278@...
      Office: 310-336-5189 Christopher.J.Albertson@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Michael Karliner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2007
        Brian,

        Your Dell should be OK for using with Rocky and the other SDR programs.
        I use a 1.2 Gig Athlon perfect well, but you won't be running a huge
        amount
        of other stuff, as the machine will be pretty well flat out.

        I also use an Audigy SE with perfectly good results, if not quite up
        to the
        results from an audiophile quality card. As some encouragement, I've
        got an old 300MHz IBM laptop and it can just about manage to receive
        OK with Rocky through its builtin sound card.

        Two sound cards work fine inside PC's on all Windows versions from 2000
        upwards, they may well work on earlier versions, but to be honest,
        I can't
        remember. Although you *can* get away with one sound card with the TXRX,
        life get's a lot easier with two, otherwise you have to arrange that
        the software
        you are using switches inputs and outputs from transmit to receive.

        I'm not aware that .net gives you any advantage with any of the SDR
        programs,
        although I'm willing to be contradicted.

        In addition to Rocky 3.1, you can also use the KGKSDR software for TXRX
        operations, the list of receive only software is longer.

        Hope this helps.

        Mike - G8LKD (anyone want to try an QSO on 40m PSK?)

        --
        Care about the iTunes charts? Try iTracker
        <http://www.modern-industry.com/itracker> , the iTunes history tracker.