Some Basic Questions

  • g3zoh
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2007
      Guys, I have been following this list with interest and am about to
      embark on a first attempt at building a Softrock kit. As a complete
      beginner, it would be really helpful to get some basic advice from more
      experienced experimenters.

      The PC here is an old Dell Dimension 4100 with a Pentium III running at
      just under 1GHz and Windows 2000 Professional. I am not looking for top
      notch performance (just as well!) but would like to get up and running
      with SDR at entry level. So here goes :-

      a) If I replace the existing soundcard with an Audigy SE 7.1 will that
      get me up and running OK with Rocky and a softrock rx?

      b) I am confused about references to the need for two sound cards.
      Would the new card work alongside my existing sound card or replace it?
      How do I use / avoid the need for two sound cards?

      c) Would the txrx softrock kit work with this set-up?

      d) Although my PC has only Windows 2000 Professional, it does have
      the ". net framework 2.0" installed. Does this mean that software other
      than Rocky could be used?

      I hope this is not pushing my luck by asking so many questions!
      Hopefully, any responses will be of interest to other beginners on this
      list.

      Many thanks in advance for any advice - greatly appreciated ....

      Brian
      G3ZOH
    • Chris Albertson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2007
        --- g3zoh <george.familyuk@...> wrote:

        > Guys, I have been following this list with interest and am about to
        > embark on a first attempt at building a Softrock kit.....

        Do you need two sound cards?

        You need "something" to connect to the Softrock. For RX only
        the SR connects to the sound card's input. For TX you need to
        connect to the sound card's output. If you think about it, it
        makes sense that an RX would need to _send_ data to the PC and
        an RXTX would need to go both directions. Remember what is
        send is a modulated waveform not audio. Think of it as "IF".
        modulation/demod is done in software in the computer. You have
        a large choise of software at least half a dozen and there are
        some easy drag and drop methods to "write" (more like "draw")
        your own.

        If you
        want to hear anything you need something to drive some speakers and if
        you'd like to speak into radio you need something to connect to
        the microphone. So in the full-up RXTX case you have one sound
        card connecting you to the computer and another connecting the SR40
        to the computers. Use the higher quality card to connect the radio.
        But you don't have to do the full up case. I'd recommend starting slow
        with RX only on one band.

        Will your version of MS Windows work? I don't know I don't use
        Windows.

        Chris Albertson
        Home: 310-376-1029 chrisalbertson90278@...
        Office: 310-336-5189 Christopher.J.Albertson@...

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Michael Karliner
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2007
          Brian,

          Your Dell should be OK for using with Rocky and the other SDR programs.
          I use a 1.2 Gig Athlon perfect well, but you won't be running a huge
          amount
          of other stuff, as the machine will be pretty well flat out.

          I also use an Audigy SE with perfectly good results, if not quite up
          to the
          results from an audiophile quality card. As some encouragement, I've
          got an old 300MHz IBM laptop and it can just about manage to receive
          OK with Rocky through its builtin sound card.

          Two sound cards work fine inside PC's on all Windows versions from 2000
          upwards, they may well work on earlier versions, but to be honest,
          I can't
          remember. Although you *can* get away with one sound card with the TXRX,
          life get's a lot easier with two, otherwise you have to arrange that
          the software
          you are using switches inputs and outputs from transmit to receive.

          I'm not aware that .net gives you any advantage with any of the SDR
          programs,
          although I'm willing to be contradicted.

          In addition to Rocky 3.1, you can also use the KGKSDR software for TXRX
          operations, the list of receive only software is longer.

          Hope this helps.

          Mike - G8LKD (anyone want to try an QSO on 40m PSK?)

          --
          Care about the iTunes charts? Try iTracker
          <http://www.modern-industry.com/itracker> , the iTunes history tracker.