Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [softrock40] ICR-100 10.7MHz IF TAP Mod.

Expand Messages
  • Kees & Sandy
    Hi Hidehiko , Sounds good ! How much was the sensitivity down with the L108 tap ? What is the added circuitry between the tap and the SR Lite ? 73 Kees K5BCQ
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30 8:21 AM

      Hi Hidehiko ,

      Sounds good !  How much was the sensitivity down with the L108 tap ? What is the added circuitry between the tap and the SR Lite ?

      73 Kees K5BCQ

      -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:


       Hi all.

       I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
       I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
       It works well and to be an all band SDR.

       Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
        



       
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/join
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com 
          mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
       

    • Kees & Sandy
      OK, I see the schematic and the comment that the sensitivity dropped 5-10dB when connected to L108 as a tap point. Did you try the FET Follower on L108 also ?
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30 8:44 AM

        OK, I see the schematic and the comment that the sensitivity dropped 5-10dB when connected to L108 as a tap point. Did you try the FET Follower on L108 also ?

        73 Kees K5BCQ

        -- "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:

        Hi Hidehiko ,

        Sounds good !  How much was the sensitivity down with the L108 tap ? What is the added circuitry between the tap and the SR Lite ?

        73 Kees K5BCQ

        -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:


         Hi all.

         I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
         I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
         It works well and to be an all band SDR.

         Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
          



         
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/join
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com 
            mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
         

      • Kees & Sandy
        I guess I don t understand the concern about the PCR100 sensitivity being down when using the output of L108 as a tap point because it s the SDR signal you are
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30 1:17 PM

          I guess I don't understand the concern about the PCR100 sensitivity being down when using the output of L108 as a tap point because it's the SDR signal you are interested in. If you want to use the PCR100 "as is" --AND-- the SR Lite SDR function ....without pulling/jumpering the tap point, I will need another tap point. The center tap (presently unused) on the input side of L108 works for that and does not seem to have the 5-10dB PCR100 loss that a tap on the output side has ....and you still benefit from the 230Khz PCR100 filter.

          Is there some way to make consistent measurements for comparison ? I'm still at a loss to explain the observed signal level differences between "50uV" and "1uV" off my XG2 Signal generator card. What do you guys measure ? I've seen Bill Dumke's data only.

          73 Kees K5BCQ 

          -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:


           Hi all.

           I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
           I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
           It works well and to be an all band SDR.

           Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
            



           
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com 
              mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
           

        • qrper723
          Hi Kees, Yes, I also added FET Follower with L108-Tap but the sensitivity drop appeared about -5dB or more... Its amount changes according to the frequency.
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30 2:51 PM
            Hi Kees,

            Yes, I also added FET Follower with L108-Tap but the
            sensitivity drop appeared about -5dB or more...
            Its amount changes according to the frequency.
            Especially in FM broadcast band the drop occured about 10dB
            and alos some noise was listened.

            Maybe something is wrong in my FET folower...

            I will test the another TAP point you suggested.
            Thanks.

            ja9mat Hidehiko.

            > OK, I see the schematic and the comment that the sensitivity dropped
            5-10dB when connected to L108 as a tap point. Did you try the FET
            Follower on L108 also ?
            > 73 Kees K5BCQ
            >
            > -- "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:
            >
            > Hi Hidehiko ,
            > Sounds good ! How much was the sensitivity down with the L108 tap ?
            What is the added circuitry between the tap and the SR Lite ?
            > 73 Kees K5BCQ
          • Kees & Sandy
            I went to the Elecraft site and .......AH, HA, there is an eratta changing one of the 1uV pad resistors for both the XG1 and XG2 ....seems like R8 is supposed
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30 4:40 PM

              I went to the Elecraft site and .......AH, HA, there is an eratta changing one of the 1uV pad resistors for both the XG1 and XG2 ....seems like R8 is supposed to be 1.24Kohm.

              Didn't do much......  with 1uV input to the PCR100 on 7.040Mhz, it still reads 40dB on Rocky and the PCR100 attenuator still drops the signal 20dB which is correct and verifies readings from the PCR100 antenna through the Rocky software. That would be -127dBm for a signal that can still be copied down another 10dB or -137dBm. Nice little wide range receiver setup.

              73 Kees K5BCQ



              -- "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:

              I guess I don't understand the concern about the PCR100 sensitivity being down when using the output of L108 as a tap point because it's the SDR signal you are interested in. If you want to use the PCR100 "as is" --AND-- the SR Lite SDR function ....without pulling/jumpering the tap point, I will need another tap point. The center tap (presently unused) on the input side of L108 works for that and does not seem to have the 5-10dB PCR100 loss that a tap on the output side has ....and you still benefit from the 230Khz PCR100 filter.

              Is there some way to make consistent measurements for comparison ? I'm still at a loss to explain the observed signal level differences between "50uV" and "1uV" off my XG2 Signal generator card. What do you guys measure ? I've seen Bill Dumke's data only.

              73 Kees K5BCQ 

              -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:


               Hi all.

               I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
               I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
               It works well and to be an all band SDR.

               Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
                



               
              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/join
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com 
                  mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                  softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

              <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
               

            • Bill Dumke
              Kees, Can you send me a link to the errata sheet ? I couldn t find it. Thanks, Bill wa9pwr
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30 8:52 PM
                Kees,

                Can you send me a link to the errata sheet ? I couldn't find it.

                Thanks, Bill wa9pwr

                Kees & Sandy wrote:
                >
                > I went to the Elecraft site and .......AH, HA, there is an eratta
                > changing one of the 1uV pad resistors for both the XG1 and XG2
                > ....seems like R8 is supposed to be 1.24Kohm.
                >
                > Didn't do much...... with 1uV input to the PCR100 on 7.040Mhz,
                > it still reads 40dB on Rocky and the PCR100 attenuator still drops the
                > signal 20dB which is correct and verifies readings from the PCR100
                > antenna through the Rocky software. That would be -127dBm for a signal
                > that can still be copied down another 10dB or -137dBm. Nice little
                > wide range receiver setup.
                >
                > 73 Kees K5BCQ
                >
                >
                >
                > -- "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:
                >
                > I guess I don't understand the concern about the PCR100 sensitivity
                > being down when using the output of L108 as a tap point because it's
                > the SDR signal you are interested in. If you want to use the PCR100
                > "as is" --AND-- the SR Lite SDR function ....without pulling/jumpering
                > the tap point, I will need another tap point. The center tap
                > (presently unused) on the input side of L108 works for that and does
                > not seem to have the 5-10dB PCR100 loss that a tap on the output side
                > has ....and you still benefit from the 230Khz PCR100 filter.
                >
                > Is there some way to make consistent measurements for comparison ? I'm
                > still at a loss to explain the observed signal level differences
                > between "50uV" and "1uV" off my XG2 Signal generator card. What do you
                > guys measure ? I've seen Bill Dumke's data only.
                >
                > 73 Kees K5BCQ
                >
                > -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > Hi all.
                >
                > I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
                > I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
                > It works well and to be an all band SDR.
                >
                > Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
              • Kees & Sandy
                Attached 73 Kees K5BCQ -- Bill Dumke wrote: Kees, Can you send me a link to the errata sheet ? I couldn t find it. Thanks, Bill wa9pwr ...
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2007

                  Attached

                  73 Kees K5BCQ

                  -- Bill Dumke <billd@...> wrote:
                  Kees,

                  Can you send me a link to the errata sheet ?  I couldn't find it.

                  Thanks, Bill wa9pwr

                  Kees & Sandy wrote:

                  >
                  > I went to the Elecraft site and .......AH, HA, there is an eratta 
                  > changing one of the 1uV pad resistors for both the XG1 and XG2 
                  > ....seems like R8 is supposed to be 1.24Kohm.
                  >
                  > Didn't do much......  with 1uV input to the PCR100 on 7.040Mhz, 
                  > it still reads 40dB on Rocky and the PCR100 attenuator still drops the 
                  > signal 20dB which is correct and verifies readings from the PCR100 
                  > antenna through the Rocky software. That would be -127dBm for a signal 
                  > that can still be copied down another 10dB or -137dBm. Nice little 
                  > wide range receiver setup.
                  >
                  > 73 Kees K5BCQ
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > -- "Kees & Sandy" <windy10605@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I guess I don't understand the concern about the PCR100 sensitivity 
                  > being down when using the output of L108 as a tap point because it's 
                  > the SDR signal you are interested in. If you want to use the PCR100 
                  > "as is" --AND-- the SR Lite SDR function ....without pulling/jumpering 
                  > the tap point, I will need another tap point. The center tap 
                  > (presently unused) on the input side of L108 works for that and does 
                  > not seem to have the 5-10dB PCR100 loss that a tap on the output side 
                  > has ....and you still benefit from the 230Khz PCR100 filter.
                  >
                  > Is there some way to make consistent measurements for comparison ? I'm 
                  > still at a loss to explain the observed signal level differences 
                  > between "50uV" and "1uV" off my XG2 Signal generator card. What do you 
                  > guys measure ? I've seen Bill Dumke's data only.
                  >
                  > 73 Kees K5BCQ 
                  >
                  > -- "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  >  Hi all.
                  >
                  >  I've finished my modification of PCR-100 IF-10.7MHz.
                  >  I put my data and photos into a Files -> JA9MAT - PCR100 10.7MHz IF TAP.
                  >  It works well and to be an all band SDR.
                  >
                  >  Thanks Tony and Kees, 73 ja9mat Hidehiko.
                  >   
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >  
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >  



                   
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/join
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com 
                      mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      softrock40-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                   

                • Len Warner
                  ... No it b***dy isn t! ... and take heed of the not stored Nor _should_ it be: read Bill s post carefully; ... He asked for a _link_, not a _copy_!
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    At 09:20 07/05/02, [softrock40] Digest Number 1723 wrote:
                    > Posted by: "Kees & Sandy" windy10605@... keestheham
                    > Date: Tue May 1, 2007 7:54 am ((PDT))
                    >
                    >Attached
                    >73 Kees K5BCQ

                    No it b***dy isn't!

                    See message #10942:

                    >Attachment(not stored)
                    >E740067E%20XG1%20errata%20rev%20C1.pdf
                    >Type:
                    >application/pdf

                    and take heed of the "not stored"

                    Nor _should_ it be: read Bill's post carefully;

                    >-- Bill Dumke <billd@...> wrote:
                    >Kees,
                    >
                    >Can you send me a link to the errata sheet ? I couldn't find it.
                    >
                    >Thanks, Bill wa9pwr

                    He asked for a _link_, not a _copy_!

                    Elecraft publish their manuals at
                    http://www.elecraft.com/manual/

                    If you would prefer a tabulated contents list, see
                    http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm
                    the Elecraft Document Download Page,
                    AKA "Document and Software Download Page".

                    Instead, you have sent everyone on individual email
                    a copy of something Bill didn't ask for and which
                    will be no use to them unless they own an XG1.

                    {
                    And precious little use to them even if they do...

                    The erratum is a modification to R8, in the 34dB attenuator

                    Theoretical: 34dB 1252R469 series, 52R035 shunt, Zo=50R

                    Original: 34.09dB 1K27 52R3 Zo=50R27

                    Modified: 33.89dB 1K24 52R3 Zo=50R22

                    [ Calculated using "Pi Attenuator Calculator" by Chemandy Electronics
                    http://chemandy.com/calculators/calculator-index.htm, also fits
                    well between the 30dB & 35dB rows in table "Pi-Network Resistive
                    Attenuators (50R)" in ARRL Handbook 2001 [30.48]. ]

                    Is it worth making the mod on an already-built XG1,
                    for an attenuation adjustment of around +/- 0.1dB?

                    Probably not.

                    Is it worth Bill making the mod, if, as he appears to be,
                    he is not operating his XG1 into a 50R load?

                    Certainly not - he should fix the load impedance first.
                    }

                    Fortunately, the digest protects me from this :-)
                    but not from the approximately 64 lines of quote
                    you appended to your one-word post :-(

                    >Kees & Sandy wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I went to the Elecraft site and .......AH, HA, there is an eratta
                    > > changing one of the 1uV pad

                    It isn't a "1uV" pad, it is a 34dB pad - if it is properly terminated.
                    Then, if it is fed 50uV it will deliver 1uV to the load.
                    That's two ifs , only the second of which is under Elecraft's control.

                    >resistors for both the XG1 and XG2
                    > > ....seems like R8 is supposed to be 1.24Kohm.

                    And if you didn't top-post, this would have been in logical order
                    and I wouldn't have needed to reiterate it above in my explanation.


                    Regards, LenW
                    --
                    Content of a follow-up post should exceed quoted content. (rfc1855)
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.