RSGB Radcom

  • Clive Lorton
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 4:25 AM
      I was really disappointed to see a letter from Alan G4PPW in Aprils R.S.G.B.
      Radcom. Alan has built a V6 and was extremely disappointed with the results. It
      sounds if he is using the internal sound card on his Dell!

      Is there any one that either knows Alan or lives near that might be able to
      help?

      73, Clive G8POC
    • DSNman@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 4:37 AM
        Clive,

        I'm building my 4th receiver and have been happy with the first 3.

        I have seen people ask about a 10 Meter tx/rx. One problem with that is it would take 17 different crystals to cover the whole band. What I see now is a tx/rx built as an IF unit and used with a tuneable VFO/Mixer for both transmit and receive to cover the whole band.

        I am going to build a CW transceiver using a 9 Mhz Softrock lite receiver and conventional transmitter . I will be able to cover the whole 20 meter band.

        --
        Loren Moline
        WA7SKT

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 4:37 AM
          Clive Lorton wrote:

          > I was really disappointed to see a letter from Alan G4PPW in Aprils
          > R.S.G.B.
          > Radcom. Alan has built a V6 and was extremely disappointed with the
          > results. It
          > sounds if he is using the internal sound card on his Dell!
          >
          > Is there any one that either knows Alan or lives near that might be
          > able to
          > help?
          >
          > 73, Clive G8POC

          From the sound of the letter , it looks like a ready built one, probably purchased from W&S in the UK
          I don't kwnow if W&S are building them or buying ready built from Tony ?

          Shame he didn't complain here first

          Richard
          --

          **************************
          Registered Linux user 365161
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1 5:57 AM
            In a message dated 01/04/2007 12:38:58 GMT Daylight Time, richard.bown@... writes:

            From the sound of the letter , it looks like a ready built one, probably purchased from W&S in the UK
            I don't kwnow if W&S are building them or buying ready built from Tony ?
            ------------------------

            He states quite clearly he bought the kit and built up the circuit board but it didn't say where he bought it.

            I thought it a very odd letter to send to RadCom and even more odd that they should publish it.
            It worries me that perhaps the new RadCom editor might not be such a welcome replacement for the old one after all.

            We know that someone else tried it with a different PC, and with similar problems, but neither of these two, nor the editor, seems to have questioned whether or not there might be a construction problem.

            To the rest of the world it gives a very unfair impression of softrock performance.
            To those of us in the know it gives the impression, also perhaps unfair, that these two and the RadCom editor are idiots, or, at the very least, much more "amateur" than one might expect.

            Whoops
            rant over:-)

            Just a bit biased here, as the previous, relatively short lived, editor of RadCom showed strong signs at times of wanting to run it more in the style of The Ladies Home Journal:-)

            Nigel
            GM8PZR

          • Clive Lorton
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1 7:10 AM
              Nigel wrote "To the rest of the world it gives a very unfair impression of
              softrock performance."

              I too was disappointed that this was printed but if he had purchased through
              Tony he would already know about the excellent support group here.

              If no one responds who lives nearer to Alan I'll try to contact by phone next
              week.

              73, Clive G8POC
            • Richard Bown
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1 7:31 AM
                gandalfg8@... wrote:

                > richard.bown@... writes:
                >

                > From the sound of the letter , it looks like a ready built one,
                > probably purchased from W&S in the UK
                > I don't kwnow if W&S are building them or buying ready built from
                > Tony ?
                >
                > ------------------------
                >
                > He states quite clearly he bought the kit and built up the circuit
                > board but it didn't say where he bought it.
                >

                > I thought it a very odd letter to send to RadCom and even more odd
                > that they should publish it.
                > It worries me that perhaps the new RadCom editor might not be such a
                > welcome replacement for the old one after all.
                >
                > We know that someone else tried it with a different PC, and with
                > similar problems, but neither of these two, nor the editor, seems to
                > have questioned whether or not there might be a construction problem.
                >
                > To the rest of the world it gives a very unfair impression
                > of softrock performance.
                > To those of us in the know it gives the impression, also perhaps
                > unfair, that these two and the RadCom editor are idiots, or, at the
                > very least, much more "amateur" than one might expect.
                >
                > Whoops
                > rant over:-)
                >
                > Just a bit biased here, as the previous, relatively short
                > lived, editor of RadCom showed strong signs at times of wanting to
                > run it more in the style of The Ladies Home Journal:-)
                >
                > Nigel
                > GM8PZR
                >
                > OK , just checked and I did misread it, but stll nort the right place
                > to winge

                -- Richard