78291Re: [softrock40] Strange VLF Antenna

  • Zack Widup
    Jun 14, 2014
      The e-probe antenna is in common use amongst LOWFER's. The length of
      the probe is not critical, it can be anywhere from 2 to 4 feet in
      length.

      I built and am using the AMRAD e-probe antenna. You can Google that
      for the pdf of the QST article about it. I'm using a 4-foot stainless
      steel whip antenna on mine.

      There is one caveat about this antenna - in order to get the best
      performance from it, you need to have the antenna higher than all
      other objects, including trees, in the area. I'd say within a few
      houses or a block, if you can manage it.

      73, Zack W9SZ

      On 6/14/14, allgyer@... [softrock40] <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > I have had my RXII LF for over a year and I have never heard anything on it
      > other than my signal generator. I assumed that I needed a lot of wire,
      > outside, and landlord and lightning considerations made that unwise or
      > impossible.
      >
      > Yesterday I spotted this article about an "E-Field Probe" antenna for VLF:
      >
      > VLF RX Antennas + Preamps - Sub 9kHz Amateur Radio
      > https://sites.google.com/site/sub9khz/antennas
      >
      > https://sites.google.com/site/sub9khz/antennas
      >
      > VLF RX Antennas + Preamps - Sub 9kHz Amateur Radio
      > https://sites.google.com/site/sub9khz/antennas All images and schematics may
      > be enlarged by clicking them
      >

      > View on sites.google.com https://sites.google.com/site/sub9khz/antennas
      > Preview by Yahoo
      >

      > With a day to kill and nothing else broken that needed fixing, I decided to
      > build one. It went together quickly using dead bug SMT techniques. I plugged
      > it in and, lo and behold, my noise floor came up. Not only that but I
      > started seeing strange signals beginning at about 300 KHz. Nothing I could
      > recognize but some slow speed FSK.
      >
      > So, overnight I set it up for WSPR expecting nothing. In the morning, much
      > to my surprise, two spots! One from Japan and one from the West Coast of the
      > US.
      >
      > All of this on a panel antenna 1.5 inches wide and 3 inches tall, taped to
      > my 9th floor apartment window!
      >
      > Trying 475 KHz again tonight...... wish Tony would make a transmitter!
      >
      > Warren Allgyer
      > 9V1TD

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic